Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomvim

Mr.Obvious

Why aren't you?

(Small assumption on my part.)

Ps, make an intro thread. You're not supposed to start others before you've got ten Posts.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: randomvim on September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM
follow up questions may follow.
[mod]Please make an intro thread or you will be banned. Do not take this personally, it's just that we've had a lot of spammy posters as of late.[/mod]

PickelledEggs

I have a feeling he saw this. I'll probably ban him when I wake up this afternoon

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 11, 2016, 05:05:32 AM
I have a feeling he saw this. I'll probably ban him when I wake up this afternoon

Administrator wecken!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

randomvim

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 11, 2016, 03:26:03 AM
[mod]Please make an intro thread or you will be banned. Do not take this personally, it's just that we've had a lot of spammy posters as of late.[/mod]
Sorry. I'm going to your site through an app. I didn't see anything pop up about posting 10 or intro

Edit: I made my intro.

randomvim

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 11, 2016, 03:17:07 AM
Why aren't you?

(Small assumption on my part.)

Ps, make an intro thread. You're not supposed to start others before you've got ten Posts.
Good addition from edit. I do not wish to focus on me. too many people can switch the o.p. and get off topic. then my curiosity would not be fed.

Perhaps I may go into that later but I wish to understand others first. Is this acceptable?

Gawdzilla Sama

The intro subforum is supposed to focus on new members. So focus on it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Oh what the hey, I'll give the whippersnapper a shot. I am an atheist primarily for two reasons. First, because there is no evidence that supernatural beings of any sort actually exist. The other reason I'm an atheist is the bible.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Because I don't believe in God, mostly.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Because I'm not retarded.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 11, 2016, 03:03:14 PM
Because I'm not retarded.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
God help me, I laughed.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: randomvim on September 11, 2016, 02:15:38 PM
Perhaps I may go into that later but I wish to understand others first. Is this acceptable?

When you have no Reason to believe in a deity, it's hard to explain Why you don't believe in a deity, other than by saying 'because I don't believe in a deity'.
Which would be essentially answering 'why am I an atheist?' With 'because I am an atheist.'

It is not untill someone can make a convincing argument for a god hypothesis, that a counterargument should come into play.

So if you want to hear Why I am an atheist. Let's hear Some arguments as Why not to be. If any of them make sense, you might sway me. If they don't, i'll yell you Why I don't 'believe' them. That's Why I must ask; 'why aren't you?' Before I can give you THE answer you seek.

That being said. If you don't want to explain Why you believe, that's fine. People do that here more than enough already. :p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Me:  "I dunno about this religion stuff.  I see people claim absolute certainty about stuff they couldn't possibly know, demand other people live their lives according to what they consider correct, and generally be beholden to an ideology that they're not even allowed to question without threats of everlasting hell.  Seems kinda fucked up."

Me a few years later:  "I've been reading a few books on religion and I've found a lot of the criticisms of it to be pretty solid.  I don't know why I considered this stuff to be so plausible before.  I guess I'm an atheist now."

Mermaid

Serious answer: Because there is a rational explanation for everything in the natural world. There is no rational explanation that an all-powerful ghost created it all.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR