News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Possible demon encounter?

Started by Brandon81, September 10, 2016, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 11, 2016, 12:46:51 PMIs laughing and ridiculing me supposed to help me?
I tried to make it really obvious that I was laughing at the fact that there's a Ouija app and accompanying scary story about it, not at you.  *shrugs*

But come to think about it, a story about a computer on the fritz while looking at a site about demons and being spooked by that then saying demon names out loud and seriously expecting some sort of response is pretty goddamn silly.

Get help, man.

SGOS

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 11, 2016, 12:46:51 PM
Is laughing and ridiculing me supposed to help me? I realize this is silly to most of you but it was something that was consuming me. Believe me, if I could've just shrugged it off, I would have. And I wouldn't have come here.

I think I should get to the root of my problem. If demons exist, does that mean the Christian God exists? And because I failed to believe in the right things, am I going to go to hell for all eternity? That's the root of all of this. This fear of hell that comes and goes. I've never been able to shrug it off.

If the answer is no, I couldn't give a shit whether demons existed or not. It's not demons I really fear, it's hell.

I'm feeling better today. hopefully in a month I'll dismiss this as nothing.

I used to be a Christian.  Letting go of the bullshit isn't just a simple choice, and there are these little things you are dealing with that would still pop up even though you've already intellectually come to grips with the problem, but it goes away.  It did in my case.  Your early indoctrination is not something you can simply discard.  It runs deep, and some can never escape it's malicious control.

Good luck, and I'm sorry for making a joke out of this.  I know the pain in coming to grips with reality, but it is not without its rewards, either.

Brandon81

Quote from: SGOS on September 11, 2016, 01:15:28 PM
I used to be a Christian.  Letting go of the bullshit isn't just a simple choice, and there are these little things you are dealing with that would still pop up even though you've already intellectually come to grips with the problem, but it goes away.  It did in my case.  Your early indoctrination is not something you can simply discard.  It runs deep, and some can never escape it's malicious control.

Good luck, and I'm sorry for making a joke out of this.  I know the pain in coming to grips with reality, but it is not without its rewards, either.

Thank you!

sdelsolray

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 10, 2016, 10:34:58 PM
I did some experimenting a day or two after this happened. The 72 demons mentioned in the Lesser Key of Solomon that I was told not to say their names, I said every one of the names. I played around with a ouija board app on my phone which I heard some story of some girl allegedly being possessed because of it. I blasted some of the most satanic heavy metal I could find. After that, nothing happened. Nothing out of the ordinary. I've looked up stories about possession before. Nothing happened. I try to look at it from a demon's perspective, "What do I have to gain by scaring this human? It might make him turn to God if I do it and that's something I don't want". I always thought that a real possession would confirm the existence of God to a lot of people. Wouldn't that be the last thing a demon wants?

Despite all of these experiments and rationalization, the nagging thoughts of "maybe it could have been" still happens. I just want them to go away. I just want peace of mind. Ain't religion great? It's not enough that I have real life problems, but now because of my religious upbringing it's created all of these other problems. Life's hard enough without having to worry about going to hell when I die.

It seems like you have replaced one mythology with another.

Brandon81

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on September 11, 2016, 12:09:28 AM
See, I read all that as "I don't know, but I once read some scary shit then I projected my own fears onto that scary shit, which I then believed!"

There's quite a few of us deconverted that were also raised to fear invisible things by (fundies) total believers, who then tossed aside every excess of Christianity as purely silly later on. I'm not trying to laugh at you, but you are projecting onto the "demons" exactly what you're fearing by their being real.

Plus, "the most satanic heavy metal"? Please share!

Yes, my real fear is that something like this existing could prove that a god exists who wants to send me into an eternal torture chamber if I fail to believe in him and don't follow his rules. If demons can exist without the existence of god, then I couldn't care less.

Also, Venom and Mercyful Fate.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

If the answer is no, I couldn't give a shit whether demons existed or not. It's not demons I really fear, it's hell.

It's just your mind playing tricks on you. Some people believe they've had experiences with magic fairies. The human mind can pretty much be made to believe in anything, no matter how silly. Unicorns, God, flat Earth, etc. There are literally people who believe we're living inside a hollow Earth, and others who believe we are living inside a snow globe. This shows you what the human mind is capable of being tricked into believing. Our minds mess with us. That's what they do best. I've been attacked by a demon when I was half awake. I understand how easily the brain is fooled though, so when I got up, I laughed about it and never let it get to me. You should try to do the same. If you can't completely get over it, that's fine and that's normal. I don't take the idea of ghosts or demons seriously at all, but during or after watching a scary movie, I get creeped out and feel that rush. That's completely normal.

Fear not the Christian hell. Over the course of human history, people have believed in hundreds of thousands or probably even millions of different gods. The Christians are no more likely to be right than any of the others. Why do I think you should not take the threat of Hell seriously? The brain is responsible for consciousness. When your brain dies, your consciousness goes away and you just don't exist. You can't remain conscious without your brain, so I really think you are worrying about nothing. There is no evidence of any soul that carries on after death, and if the soul was responsible for our consciousness after death, why isn't it responsible for our consciousness right now? What do we need brains for anyway if that were the case? We wouldn't. I hope this helps.

doorknob

don't let fear control you. Fear is a stupid emotion that causes irrational thinking.   

SGOS

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 11, 2016, 02:07:52 PM
Yes, my real fear is that something like this existing could prove that a god exists who wants to send me into an eternal torture chamber if I fail to believe in him and don't follow his rules. If demons can exist without the existence of god, then I couldn't care less.

Also, Venom and Mercyful Fate.

I'd like to see the chain of logic that demons existing could prove a god exists. 

First, there is no evidence for demons.  It doesn't make any difference how many people make claims to the contrary.  People have been doing this for centuries, but there is no evidence.

Second, if there were actual demons, why would that prove a god?  Which god would it prove?  Many believers don't believe in Hell.  What tells you they are wrong?  While they may constitute a minority, they have the exact same amount of evidence for Not Hell as the majority has for Is Hell, specifically exactly zero.

Third, why would God even consider sending you to Hell for not believing in him when he fails to provide you with undeniable evidence?  Does that sound at all fair to you, especially for a loving God?  Maybe God would send you to Hell for murdering your mother.  But for not believing in him?  Let's try to temper your fears with a smudge of reason.  You are creating possibilities that are all over the map and logically contradictory.  You are torturing yourself with wild extreme scenarios.  You are trying to turn God into some wild maniac, and if he was really that vindictive and unpredictable, then we are all fucked, including the Baptists and the Mormons.

In fact, you do this for good reason.  You have been indoctrinated by your religion to reject reason and logic.  In religion, everything is possible, even the craziest illogical and psychotic ruminations.  Because God can do anything; He can be the worst sadist and most merciful friend at the same time.  It's nuts.  So now, every time you attempt to test reality with your intellect and reason, you have this childhood training pulling on you to reject logic and return to fear and anxiety.  It's your religious training feeding itself on your vulnerability.  It desperately needs you to stop thinking, or it dies.

Reality might not be a paradise, but I would suggest that it makes more understandable sense than what you seem to have gotten out of your religion at this point.

If your recovery follows the same path as mine (and I doubt that it does or probably ever will), you are at a place right now where I was in the early stages of my personal growth.  Coming to terms took longer for me than most others.  I spent too much time wallowing in the bizarre fears of my religious upbringing.  You need to move on.  These fears will go away unless you have a chemical imbalance, in which case you will need something else than what you might find here.

Be good to yourself.  Don't torture yourself.  You can be good to yourself and still be a good person.  Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 10, 2016, 07:43:21 PMIt has a list of 72 demon names you shouldn't say as well as link to how to get rid of demons.
0/10, didn't see Bloody Mary on the list.

Bloody Mary.

Bloody Mary.

Bloody Mary.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

widdershins

It's around 7 in the morning and I'm looking up stuff about demons and possession. I come across a site called www.gods-and-monsters.com. I look at the part about demons. It has a list of 72 demon names you shoudn't say as well as link to how to get rid of demons. As I get to the part about getting rid of demons my screen starts flickering and making static noises for a couple of seconds and my internet momentarily goes out.

This has really consumed me since then because no matter how I try to rationalize it, there's always this  nagging voice saying "could've been a demon". In my apartment complex, around that time of morning, sometimes the power goes out or the lights start dimming like they're about to go out.
See a correlation there?  You happened to be looking it up at the time you routinely have power issues.

Sorry I'm not being clear about what I'm saying. The youtube video is what led me into looking up stuff about demons. This screen flickering happened when I was on a site talking about demons and how to get rid of them. If I was looking at anything else and this happened, like if I was looking at stuff about video games, I would've thought nothing of it. But this happened the way it did unfortunately. I try to be rational, but my head fucks with me.
You said yourself that if this had happened anywhere else it wouldn't have bothered you.  You're freaking yourself out over nothing.  Your mind is picking out the things that mean something to your fear and ignoring anything which doesn't fit the pattern you're expecting to see.

Then address this fear.  Instead of talking to the people you normally talk to, talk to people of different religions.  Talk to 3 or 4 people from different faiths.  Let each know that you're talking to the others.  Talk to each about what the others told you.  You will quickly find that they all stop trying to help you and start bashing each other.  Each will tell you exactly what is wrong with the other religion.  And each will have an excuse for why something isn't wrong with their religion that sounds legitimate.  A Catholic, for instance, will tell you that they don't worship Mary, they're just asking her to talk to God on their behalf.  A Jehovah's Witness will explain that their founder wasn't a false prophet, he just got a little overly zealous with the end of the world predictions.  And then they'll go back to bashing each other.

In the light of the hatred between Christian faiths it's easy to see that there's nothing to it.  You're working yourself up over nothing.  You've got this mentality where you're looking for "signs".  Do you know why people started asking gods for signs?  Because they couldn't get specifics, but they could get anything they wanted from "signs".  If you look for signs you'll find what you're looking for every time because it's YOU who chooses what is and what is not a sign and it's YOU who assigns meaning to it.

But look at what you're telling us.  You've been paranoid "for the last week", but all you mentioned actually seeing is a screen flickering that you admitted wouldn't have been a big deal to you if you hadn't been doing what you had been doing obsessively for a week now.  You read some stories, you watched some videos, you freaked yourself out, you started obsessing and likely spending a LOT of time doing this and then, since that's what you're spending your time doing now something innocuous happened while you were doing it and it freaked you out.

My advice is that you address the root problem that caused you to start looking into all this nonsense in the first place.  You don't just decide to start looking up demons and have that lead you to irrational beliefs.  You started with the irrational belief AND THEN started looking for evidence to support it.  You either want to be afraid or you are afraid and looking for an excuse to hold some belief.  You don't need an excuse.  If you want to believe in fairies and magic, believe in fairies and magic.  Whatever makes you happy.  If you don't want to believe in fairies and magic then I would suggest you start talking with a psychologist or psychiatrist.  You have some underlying issues there which can't really be dealt with on a forum full of not-psychologists.  Your mind is playing tricks on you and you have to discover the underlying reason for that and deal with that directly.  Then the symptoms will disappear on their own.
This sentence is a lie...

JBCuzISaidSo

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Brian37

It is your own anxiety needlessly doing that to you. Not knowing why something is happening does not make it super natural. There are a myriad of natural explanations. Our species evolved with a very flawed sense of perceptions. But  no, there are no demons haunting anything. It is simply your own lack of knowing what is really going on. The good news is there are no demons or gods or evil spirits.

Humans can have very real psychological issues and mental illness that in combo with a lifetime of being told myths are real can cause them to make very delusional claims. No, it does not make one crazy. But it does explain how human's don't understand their own brain functions.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Baruch

Is laughing and ridiculing me supposed to help me? I realize this is silly to most of you but it was something that was consuming me. Believe me, if I could've just shrugged it off, I would have. And I wouldn't have come here.

I think I should get to the root of my problem. If demons exist, does that mean the Christian God exists? And because I failed to believe in the right things, am I going to go to hell for all eternity? That's the root of all of this. This fear of hell that comes and goes. I've never been able to shrug it off.

Glad you are feeling better.  Hope you come to feel better still.  Sorry ... if the Pope exists, with a billion followers, does that mean that Jesus exists?  Actuall no, it doesn't.  Same with demons.  What if polytheism is correct, then does that mean Jesus exists?  No, just means that Jupiter is having a good laugh.  Demons are gods of your enemy ... as your gods are demons to your enemies.  It is theistic politics.  Goes back to Zoroaster in ancient Persia.  The Jews, Christians and Muslims copied from the Persians, 2500 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pato15

Look up the etymology of 'demon.' You'll see that the entire concept of demons is just Christianity once again demonizing (heh) a positive facet of pagan beliefs.
To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra