News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Possible demon encounter?

Started by Brandon81, September 10, 2016, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon81

Hi. I used to lurk on these forums as well as the exchristian forums and infidelguy forums around 2003 and I think I started losing interest around 2007. I considered myself atheist back then. Now I just consider myself myself agnostic.

For the last week I've been having a problem and really need a rational response to it. It's hard to find that surrounded by overtly religious people. Last sunday I watched some youtube video about certain movies where a lot of the actors ended up dead. Movies such as Rosemary's baby and The Omen. I find myself getting irrational and paranoid easily when this stuff comes up. It's around 7 in the morning and I'm looking up stuff about demons and possession. I come across a site called www.gods-and-monsters.com. I look at the part about demons. It has a list of 72 demon names you shoudn't say as well as link to how to get rid of demons. As I get to the part about getting rid of demons my screen starts flickering and making static noises for a couple of seconds and my internet momentarily goes out.

This has really consumed me since then because no matter how I try to rationalize it, there's always this  nagging voice saying "could've been a demon". In my apartment complex, around that time of morning, sometimes the power goes out or the lights start dimming like they're about to go out. This is the only thing I can think of. I don't remember specifics except for the flickering computer monitor.

I'd like to hear what others think of this. I know this all sounds ridiculous but please don't make fun of me over it. This has made me sick. I don't know what to think. My mom tells me it could be a warning sign. Someone else told me just don't be afraid because that's what the demon wants. I just want to hear from people who aren't superstitious or religious. I need a rational explanation.

JBCuzISaidSo

What about this experience makes you feel as though it's got a negative connotation, aka "demonic"? You didn't go into that very well. Because it freaks you out? And you watched some youtube? That's pretty self centered, and not reflective of what's actually going on.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Brandon81

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on September 10, 2016, 08:27:58 PM
What about this experience makes you feel as though it's got a negative connotation, aka "demonic"? You didn't go into that very well. Because it freaks you out? And you watched some youtube? That's pretty self centered, and not reflective of what's actually going on.

Sorry I'm not being clear about what I'm saying. The youtube video is what led me into looking up stuff about demons. This screen flickering happened when I was on a site talking about demons and how to get rid of them. If I was looking at anything else and this happened, like if I was looking at stuff about video games, I would've thought nothing of it. But this happened the way it did unfortunately. I try to be rational, but my head fucks with me.

I don't understand what you mean by me being self-centered. What did you mean by that?

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 10, 2016, 08:44:30 PM
I don't understand what you mean by me being self-centered. What did you mean by that?

Well, it's like the good book says, "seek and ye shall find". If you were looking up video games and this happened you would not have sought any further query, like you said. But no, you were seeking demonic happenings, and lo and behold, you found one. That was YOU specific.

Us heathens are rolling ours eyes.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.

Brandon81

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on September 10, 2016, 08:56:00 PM
Well, it's like the good book says, "seek and ye shall find". If you were looking up video games and this happened you would not have sought any further query, like you said. But no, you were seeking demonic happenings, and lo and behold, you found one. That was YOU specific.

Us heathens are rolling ours eyes.

I would be considered a heathen too according to most Christians. I'm agnostic. My problem is it's gotten harder and harder for me to think rationally as I've gotten older. I've seen so many anecdotes about ghosts, demons, etc. that it's worn me down. I don't know what to think and I don't trust myself. My biggest fear about this is that, if real, would prove the existence of God and that I'm going to hell.

This shit I was raised to believe. It's mental terrorism. To teach a kid with a developing brain that if I don't believe in this Invisible man in the sky who claims to love me more than anyone ever could, he'll send me to an eternal torture chamber.

I don't handle this shit well at all. I'm a little on the autism spectrum (was diagnosed with pdd-nos). I don't handle things as well as normal people. And I have a hard time communicating whether via text or  real life.

Hydra009

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 10, 2016, 07:43:21 PMI come across a site called www.gods-and-monsters.com. I look at the part about demons. It has a list of 72 demon names you shoudn't say as well as link to how to get rid of demons. As I get to the part about getting rid of demons my screen starts flickering and making static noises for a couple of seconds and my internet momentarily goes out.

This has really consumed me since then because no matter how I try to rationalize it, there's always this  nagging voice saying "could've been a demon". In my apartment complex, around that time of morning, sometimes the power goes out or the lights start dimming like they're about to go out. This is the only thing I can think of. I don't remember specifics except for the flickering computer monitor.

I'd like to hear what others think of this. I know this all sounds ridiculous but please don't make fun of me over it. This has made me sick. I don't know what to think.
Try a little experiment.  Most public libraries have a computer lab.  Load it up on as many computers as possible and see what happens.  I guarantee you they won't go all wonky.

The almost certain explanation to your conundrum is that your initial experience was because of a computer hiccup that you associated with demons because you were looking at that at the same time (cum hoc fallacy).

Brandon81

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 10, 2016, 09:41:28 PM
Try a little experiment.  Most public libraries have a computer lab.  Load it up on as many computers as possible and see what happens.  I guarantee you they won't go all wonky.

The almost certain explanation to your conundrum is that your initial experience was because of a computer hiccup that you associated with demons because you were looking at that at the same time (cum hoc fallacy).

I did some experimenting a day or two after this happened. The 72 demons mentioned in the Lesser Key of Solomon that I was told not to say their names, I said every one of the names. I played around with a ouija board app on my phone which I heard some story of some girl allegedly being possessed because of it. I blasted some of the most satanic heavy metal I could find. After that, nothing happened. Nothing out of the ordinary. I've looked up stories about possession before. Nothing happened. I try to look at it from a demon's perspective, "What do I have to gain by scaring this human? It might make him turn to God if I do it and that's something I don't want". I always thought that a real possession would confirm the existence of God to a lot of people. Wouldn't that be the last thing a demon wants?

Despite all of these experiments and rationalization, the nagging thoughts of "maybe it could have been" still happens. I just want them to go away. I just want peace of mind. Ain't religion great? It's not enough that I have real life problems, but now because of my religious upbringing it's created all of these other problems. Life's hard enough without having to worry about going to hell when I die.

Draconic Aiur

I don't know, but I said out loud all 72 demon names from that site plus all the times I played Diablo 1 to 3 and said demonic names. Nothing happened.

The flickering on your computer may very well be a sign of a virus, trojan, or hack and like you said about the flickering lights in your apartment. Could be the apartments the issue.

I'm an atheist but parania and my active imagination go crazy in the dark espicially after watching or reading horror shit. The thrill is amazing, but you have to realize it's not real. I know it's scary, hell I'm a 27 year old man that sleeps with a night light and a wooden Japanese sword by me.

JBCuzISaidSo

QuoteI always thought that a real possession would confirm the existence of God to a lot of people. Wouldn't that be the last thing a demon wants?

See, I read all that as "I don't know, but I once read some scary shit then I projected my own fears onto that scary shit, which I then believed!"

There's quite a few of us deconverted that were also raised to fear invisible things by (fundies) total believers, who then tossed aside every excess of Christianity as purely silly later on. I'm not trying to laugh at you, but you are projecting onto the "demons" exactly what you're fearing by their being real.

Plus, "the most satanic heavy metal"? Please share!
-- Ricky Gervais

SGOS

Accidently downloading a demon into your computer system happens all the time, and they are hard to get rid of.  Eventually, they work their way out of your computer and hide out in hard to get to places in your home.  Dark places under the sink, and of course under the bed are prime cover.  They like places without light that you have to blindly reach into and feel around.  Then they latch onto your arm or leg, and drag you right into their hiding spot, where they can get into your mind.

Currently, there are several types of anti apparition software available.  I've found the free ones are just as good as the pay ware versions, but you have to register for both kinds.  Demon Blocker is user friendly and effective against all the currently known demons.  Devil Busters is a good one also, and periodically scans all your files automatically.  Evil Spirit Mop and Bucket will get rid of just about any demon, as long as you get to them right away before they gain a foothold.

These things work too.   I have used several anti demon technologies for 12 years and haven't had one demon get into my computer during the entire time, while my friends are constantly hammered by evil spirits on a weekly basis.

JBCuzISaidSo

Evil Spirit Mop! Better than Sims FreePlay....

-- Ricky Gervais

Baruch

The world is irrational and supernatural.  Those who disagree define the irrational as stupidity and the supernatural as delusions.  They find ways to dismiss experiences others have or they have ... that don't fit their cookie cutter.  I have had minor paranormal experiences.

If you have thoughts and experiences that are outside of the rational and natural ... according to them, you need to get an education, and see a counselor.

In my case, you mentioned demonic names.  They have no power in themselves, but they do in context.  Magic is psychosomatic.  Others will ignore or dismiss the psychosomatic.  But if you are suffering from a psychosomatic problem, it is real to you.  It may or may not be therapeutic for someone to say to you ... you are crazy.

This life is both Heaven and Hell at the same place.  This life is both past, present and future at the same time.  Which you experience is a result of your circumstances and your POV.  If you want to cure demonic possession, you need to change your circumstances and/or your POV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Brandon81 on September 10, 2016, 10:34:58 PMI played around with a ouija board app on my phone which I heard some story of some girl allegedly being possessed because of it.
Oh man...that exists?  And a story about it exists? :biglaugh:

QuoteNothing out of the ordinary. I've looked up stories about possession before. Nothing happened.
Well, there ya go.  Myth busted.

QuoteI try to look at it from a demon's perspective, "What do I have to gain by scaring this human? It might make him turn to God if I do it and that's something I don't want". I always thought that a real possession would confirm the existence of God to a lot of people. Wouldn't that be the last thing a demon wants?
Doesn't matter since it's entirely fictional.

QuoteDespite all of these experiments and rationalization, the nagging thoughts of "maybe it could have been" still happens.
"Despite every indication that demons aren't real, I'm going to consider it plausible that demons are real."  *le sigh*

Brandon81

Is laughing and ridiculing me supposed to help me? I realize this is silly to most of you but it was something that was consuming me. Believe me, if I could've just shrugged it off, I would have. And I wouldn't have come here.

I think I should get to the root of my problem. If demons exist, does that mean the Christian God exists? And because I failed to believe in the right things, am I going to go to hell for all eternity? That's the root of all of this. This fear of hell that comes and goes. I've never been able to shrug it off.

If the answer is no, I couldn't give a shit whether demons existed or not. It's not demons I really fear, it's hell.

I'm feeling better today. hopefully in a month I'll dismiss this as nothing.