Why survive? Why SHOULD we do anything?

Started by murad, September 07, 2016, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 26, 2016, 05:57:33 PM
I'm only 65 myself, but I still use Urbandictionary.com frequently. "PITA" for example, is not a type of Mexican food.

Oh you youngster!  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 01:54:16 AM
Oh you youngster!  LOL!
Thank you both for making this not-so-young guy feel a little less not-so-young.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on October 29, 2016, 06:29:01 PM
Thank you both for making this not-so-young guy feel a little less not-so-young.  :D
It's been my experience that people live until they die, or less if they spend too much time bitchin' about dying.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 30, 2016, 09:23:27 AM
It's been my experience that people live until they die, or less if they spend too much time bitchin' about dying.

True 'dat.  I don't feel 50+.  I don't expect to feel like a fiftysomething until I'm a seventysomething (cranky lower back notwithstanding).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllPurposeAtheist

My mailbox doesn't care if I get mail so why should I check it every day about 1pm?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 29, 2016, 06:29:01 PM

Anything I can do to help, LOL!

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 30, 2016, 09:23:27 AM

I don't know about that.  Some people seem to die before their minds and bodies stop functioning.  They are usually theists.  I think they start looking forward to finding Heaven.  It is fine with ME if they leave as early as possible.  In fact, in their 20s would be good. 

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2016, 04:07:38 AM
I don't know about that.  Some people seem to die before their minds and bodies stop functioning.  They are usually theists.  I think they start looking forward to finding Heaven.  It is fine with ME if they leave as early as possible.  In fact, in their 20s would be good. 

I remember one of those 1950's Biblical Spectaculars (as we used to call them).  There is a scene in the movie where Caesar is inspecting all the Christian lion kills left lying in the dirt in the aftermath of a Roman Coliseum half time show.  He frustratingly observes, "Look at their faces.  They are all smiling," as he realizes the Christians have once again outfoxed him, and denied him of his pleasure.  I was less than 10 years old, and I remember thinking, "Horse Shit!"

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2016, 06:51:35 AM
I remember one of those 1950's Biblical Spectaculars (as we used to call them).  There is a scene in the movie where Caesar is inspecting all the Christian lion kills left lying in the dirt in the aftermath of a Roman Coliseum half time show.  He frustratingly observes, "Look at their faces.  They are all smiling," as he realizes the Christians have once again outfoxed him, and denied him of his pleasure.  I was less than 10 years old, and I remember thinking, "Horse Shit!"

I never saw that scene, but I would tend to agree with you.  Those movies were utter nonsense.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 31, 2016, 07:24:08 AM
I never saw that scene, but I would tend to agree with you.  Those movies were utter nonsense.

I'll bet you did.  I believe the actor who said those lines was Peter Ustinov, who must have had a contract with MGM to play Caesar in all those films.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2016, 07:34:35 AM
I'll bet you did.  I believe the actor who said those lines was Peter Ustinov, who must have had a contract with MGM to play Caesar in all those films.

Well, actually I really never did watch biblical movies.  They always seemed rather silly.  And I'm not much of a movie-watcher at all.  Sci-fi mostly, and knowing it is all humorous fiction.  I haven't been to a movie theater in 15 years and watching a whole movie on TV mostly bores me. 

SGOS

Saturday afternoon was a ritual with my friends.  The movie theater was a block away, and another one was 4 blocks away, and it cost 25 cents for a double feature.  Almost all theaters showed double features, and the few that didn't we considered rip offs.  We would watch anything.  We even watched some seriously substandard crap, and thought it was good. I rented one of those Biblical spectaculars a few years ago just for the nostalgia, and it was 2nd rate.  Back then, the Biblical Spectaculars were a fad, much like Marvel movies today.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2016, 09:03:18 AM
Saturday afternoon was a ritual with my friends.  The movie theater was a block away, and another one was 4 blocks away, and it cost 25 cents for a double feature.  Almost all theaters showed double features, and the few that didn't we considered rip offs.  We would watch anything.  We even watched some seriously substandard crap, and thought it was good. I rented one of those Biblical spectaculars a few years ago just for the nostalgia, and it was 2nd rate.  Back then, the Biblical Spectaculars were a fad, much like Marvel movies today.

I seem to have missed out on that.  But I do recall when you could get a hamburger and fries for a quarter.  Does that count? 

We were just never into movies much.  We liked running around outside more.

SGOS

I do actually remember what seems like much more time running around and riding bikes.  Not sure how we got it all in.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2016, 11:03:45 AM
I do actually remember what seems like much more time running around and riding bikes.  Not sure how we got it all in.

Days actually DO last longer when you are a child.  An undiscovered relativity law (relative to adults)...  I have it on good authority that Hawkings is working on that very question.  He will undoubtedly call it the Hawkings Diminitive or something like that.