Why survive? Why SHOULD we do anything?

Started by murad, September 07, 2016, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murad

The universe doesn't care! Why live? Why procreate?
Don't you see the problem with the atheist worldview? You are merely stating your opinion of what you think we ought to do. What if someone else thinks it better to kill and die, why are you right and they wrong?

Draconic Aiur

SGOS

"The universe doesn't care," is irrelevant to "Why live? Why procreate?"  So what if the universe doesn't care?

However, people care about their lives and their children on their own.  They don't need the universe to care about anything.  Whether people believe in a gods or are atheists, people care.  They just do, because they are people, and it's what people do.  You seem to be saying we should all throw in the towel because the universe is not a caring entity, but  you are really implying that we can't care without a god, right?  Well, we do care, even if you say we shouldn't.  Sorry, we just do.

Hydra009

Quote from: murad on September 07, 2016, 09:23:19 PMThe universe doesn't care!
I should hope not.  It's hard to imagine someone claiming otherwise unless it was someone touched in the head.  Or a religious person.  (Those categories may overlap somewhat)

QuoteWhy live? Why procreate?
You don't *have* to do anything.

QuoteDon't you see the problem with the atheist worldview?
No, but I'd bet $10 that you're about to claim something to that effect.

QuoteYou are merely stating your opinion of what you think we ought to do. What if someone else thinks it better to kill and die, why are you right and they wrong?
The ol' subjective morality conundrum.  Never seen that before.

The answer is actually really simple.  Someone else's desire to harm others is overruled by others' desire not to be harmed.

Unbeliever

Quote from: murad on September 07, 2016, 09:23:19 PM
The universe doesn't care!
How do you know the universe doesn't care?
QuoteWhy live? Why procreate?
Why not?

QuoteDon't you see the problem with the atheist worldview?
No, I don't. Even if there were some such "problem" with atheism, it wouldn't affect the truth (or otherwise) of the concept.

QuoteYou are merely stating your opinion of what you think we ought to do.
Isn't that about all any of us can do, atheist or not?

QuoteWhat if someone else thinks it better to kill and die, why are you right and they wrong?

OK, I'll bite...what if...?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Johan

Don't you see the problem with the atheist worldview? You are merely stating your opinion of what you think we ought to do. What if someone else thinks it better to kill and die, why are you right and they wrong?
I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here.

First off I'm going to assume this is a driveby post from someone who will never return to move their post count higher than 1. We get a lot of that here.
Secondly I'm going to assume your post refers to the belief that there is no point in living a life unless you spend that life believing in a some sort of higher power or something to that effect.

To that I will say the following. I don't expect to convince you of anything you don't already believe so my comments are only meant to try to help you understand the perspective of those who are not like yourself. You're right sort of. There is some truth in the statement that there is no point in living a life unless you spend that life believing in some sort of hight power. The true part being that there is no point in living a life. Period.

What I think you fail to understand is that there doesn't have to be a point. You were born and you're here and that's it. No reason for it. No point to it. And yet, here you are. There is no bigger picture. There is no great after world. You're here and this is all the existence you will ever get and there is no reason for it and there is no point to it.

So here is what you likely don't understand. Being here is enough. You didn't ask to be here, and yet you're here. And here is all you're ever going to have. So why not take it for what it is and enjoy it as best you can? What is the downside to that? What God worth his salt, imaginary or otherwise, would blame anyone for doing any different?

Doesn't mean you have to compromise your sense or right and wrong. If you want to follow a bible and live your life by your personal interpretation of what it says you should do, go for it. Just don't try to jam it down my throat or anyone else's unless you enjoy a good bitch slapping.

You're here, this is it and this is all. Cherish it and be happy because there is no upside in doing anything else.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Atheon

The universe doesn't care, but I care. I like living. And life likes living: a product of evolution is the drive to live.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

If the universe doesn't care, why waste your time with stupid questions?

trdsf

Why are you too lazy to find your own purpose rather than assuming one needs to be imposed from without?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

FaithIsFilth

They are not wrong. If they want to die that badly, they are not wrong to kill themselves. Are they right if they want to kill someone else? I wouldn't use right or wrong for that situation. I'd say it's usually (not always though, of course. Non-defensive killing can sometimes be a moral act, for instance when one helps an elderly family member die, who wants it and is suffering) immoral because I care about human well being, and I wouldn't want to live in a society where it was acceptable to kill others in a non-defensive way without suffering consequences (not because of justice, but just to keep the rest of free society safe from them).

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2016, 09:52:29 PM
How do you know the universe doesn't care?
Good point. Human beings ARE the Universe, and we do care, so that settles that.

Mr.Obvious

I care. Fuck what the universe does or does not 'want'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs