White America, What Type of Protest Do You Approve Of?

Started by Shiranu, September 03, 2016, 01:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-dear-white-america-form-protest-prefer-article-1.2775698

QuoteThe most common, politically correct refrain I have heard from white critics of Colin Kaepernick's silent protest during the "Star-Spangled Banner" is that they kind of understand his motivations for protesting, but they just don't like his methods.

As a recap, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has decided to silently take a knee during the pre-game singing of the national anthem.
In response to his silent, peaceful protest, NFL executives are calling him "a traitor," saying that they absolutely hate him, and that he is the most despised NFL player among executives since Rae Carruth hired a man to kill his pregnant girlfriend. Yeah, really. And those are the executives from his league.
A quick scan of Twitter will produce death threats and racial slurs. Donald Trump, who has based his entire campaign on the idea that America is a steaming hot mess that he can make great again, even said that if Colin doesn't like this country, he should find another country to move to. That was basically code for "Go back to Africa." In other words, if you are white and think this country sucks, you should run for President on that premise, but if you are black and think the same thing, you should move the hell out.

These sentiments aren't obscure. Talking heads, athletes, writers, and politicians all over America have expressed disgust over Colin's silent protest.Well, I have a question.

Exactly which form of our protest do you actually prefer?

You hated when Cleveland Browns player Andrew Hawkins wore a "I Can't Breathe" T shirt before a game.

You hated when Lebron James did the same thing.

You hated when several players from the St. Louis Rams simply put their hands up in the air before a game in solidarity with unarmed victims of police brutality.
When we march across the country, you mock us.

When we block intersections and hold up traffic, your blood boils.When we simply express our concerns on Twitter and Facebook, we receive extreme opposition.

I think the point you are really making is that for you, to be patriotic and black, is to be silent in the face of injustice. We shouldn't march, we shouldn't sit down silently, we shouldn't wear T-shirts, we shouldn't put our hands up, we should just suffer and take the injustice with a wink and a nod. And, we should also sing and dance and hoop and score touchdowns for you with big huge smiles on our faces like the injustice doesn't even bother us. Hell, I think you want us to actually like it.

For I have yet to see a form of protest that you actually agree with.

Because here's what I really know â€" you have not yet seen the harshest protests and boycotts that we could try next to wake this nation up and motivate it to actually right the wrongs of police brutality and racial injustice. You should welcome Colin Kaepernick's peaceful and measured protest.

What if NFL players decided to actually stop playing until this nation took our pain seriously?What if people of good conscience decided to stage an economic boycott unlike anything this nation has ever seen before?

What we are doing now is actually the tame, palatable alternative to those things, but it all seems to be too much for youâ€" which is strange because you have said so little about the injustice itself.

Drew Brees,I am looking at you.
Boomer Esiason,I am definitely looking at you.

If only our pain bothered you as much as our protests.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

I agreed with the football guy.... lol Everyone gave me shit, but if you don't agree with what the flag currently stands for, it's your right to not pledge to it and not stand during the anthem. Hell, it's practically your duty to not to.

FaithIsFilth

If his intention with all of this was to be a martyr and he knew this would knock him out of the league, then I applaud him for making that sacrifice.

When it comes to the team not liking it, and other teams being unwilling to sign him in the future because of it, I also completely understand that. The guy is bringing unwanted negative press to the team, so of course they are justified in being unhappy with him (especially wearing socks with pigs in police hats). If I was making millions (or whatever he makes), I'd be standing for that anthem whether I liked it or not. If they release him, they're probably just doing the smart thing (I don't watch NFL, but I hear he's not that good of a player, so probably not worth the hassle).

QuoteI think the point you are really making is that for you, to be patriotic and black, is to be silent in the face of injustice. We shouldn't march, we shouldn't sit down silently, we shouldn't wear T-shirts, we shouldn't put our hands up, we should just suffer and take the injustice with a wink and a nod.
This is very accurate. So many conservatives think the solution to all of this is just for blacks to simply get their shit together, to stop committing so much crime, etc., but these people don't understand that real life doesn't work like that. These conservatives believe in free will, so they think the solution is as simple as black people making changes. These conservatives don't understand that because of the circumstances that so many of these black people were born into, because of the influences around them, because they've been dealt such a shitty hand historically, that all of that resulted in what we see today, and it's not just as simple as choosing to rise above it all. That's far easier said than done.

GSOgymrat

This is my favorite response to the Colin Kaepernick protest. She's like an angry, conservative chihuahua!

https://youtu.be/qq0_nyWVXCI

Jack89

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on September 03, 2016, 02:19:06 PM
This is very accurate. So many conservatives think the solution to all of this is just for blacks to simply get their shit together, to stop committing so much crime, etc., but these people don't understand that real life doesn't work like that. These conservatives believe in free will, so they think the solution is as simple as black people making changes. These conservatives don't understand that because of the circumstances that so many of these black people were born into, because of the influences around them, because they've been dealt such a shitty hand historically, that all of that resulted in what we see today, and it's not just as simple as choosing to rise above it all. That's far easier said than done.
There are people from all ethnic groups born into less than desirable circumstances, including whites.  In fact, there are more poor whites in the US than any other demographic.  And you're correct, that it's not as simple as choosing to change, it doesn't work like that.  Social Anthropology 101 tells us that if you're born into a poor and uneducated family, you'll probably be poor and uneducated when you become an adult.  If you're born into an environment that says cops are pigs, you'll probably grow up thinking that as well.

As a conservative who happens to be white, I think you should be able to say whatever you wants.  I think Colin Kaepernick has bought into BLM's false narrative and believes, at least to some degree, that his protest is right an justified.  He has the right to express himself how he sees fit, but he should also expect a less that warm response if his actions are unpopular.  Free speech is great, but it works both ways.  He should also expect backlash from his bosses if he's doing this on their dime. 

Nonsensei

This is a toughie for me. I think the protest itself was a fairly good one. As soon as he did it everyone knew what he was doing. Simplicity and effectiveness in a single movement.

HOWEVER

The guy is essentially at work. I don't know about you but when they're paying me for my time I leave my personal and political opinions at the door. I AGREE to do that, as a condition of my employment.

He used the platform provided by his employer for purposes not related to his job. In any company that's grounds for termination. This is the same thing as if I had gotten on my company's twitter and tweeted support for black lives matter. I would be fired so fucking fast, not because my company hates BLM but because you don't fucking do that. You don't impose your own political positions on the company you work for, and you DEFINITELY don't do it using their own media outlets.

If he had protested on his own time as his own person rather than as a team member of the 49'ers then I would be behind him all the way. But he didn't do that.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 03, 2016, 08:45:19 PM
This is my favorite response to the Colin Kaepernick protest. She's like an angry, conservative chihuahua!

https://youtu.be/qq0_nyWVXCI
It's like if you filled Bill O'Reilly with helium. You get a higher pitched and slightly more air-headed Bill O'Reilly.

Mike Cl

Gotta love the good old argument--People died for your rights; you need to show some respect!  And they mean that that everybody needs to lockstep to the anthem and flag.  But, if all these people have died for the rights we have, should we not use them--would that not show more respect than not showing we know what those rights are?  Would those rights not die out if they are not used?  And would that not be much more disrespectful than using those rights? 

Rosa Parks--really, she should have just shut the hell up and sat in her seat.  At least she had a seat.  And people died for her right to sit in it.  How dare she be so disrespectful to those who died for her rights. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 04, 2016, 12:17:08 AM
Gotta love the good old argument--People died for your rights; you need to show some respect!  And they mean that that everybody needs to lockstep to the anthem and flag.  But, if all these people have died for the rights we have, should we not use them--would that not show more respect than not showing we know what those rights are?  Would those rights not die out if they are not used?  And would that not be much more disrespectful than using those rights? 

Rosa Parks--really, she should have just shut the hell up and sat in her seat.  At least she had a seat.  And people died for her right to sit in it.  How dare she be so disrespectful to those who died for her rights. 
The problem is that he doesn't just represent himself. He is representing the organization who pays him millions of dollars. If he wanted to go out a martyr, good for him. If he didn't, then he was wrong for putting the organization in this position and he deserves to be let go. I'd feel the same way if he were an atheist refusing to stand for the anthem until god was removed from it, or if he were continuously going on about how religious people are so delusional and stupid. It doesn't matter how right he is. He is representing the organization.

Shiranu

I don't particularly think corporate interests and greed should even be remotely considered relevant when opposed to basic human rights. Fuck any business that not just opposes him using his social power to address racial injustice, but double fuck anything that they have to say when they act like his actions make him the second coming of Hitler.

Sorry. Just can't do it. If their response was along the lines of, "We respect what he has to say, but we don't want to be associates with it."... maybe I could give them an inch of sympathy. But that's not what the response has been in the least.

Other corporations like the NBA are fighting to be on the right side of history and doing just fine, so the NFL can stop crying and shove it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Poison Tree

"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

mauricio

the ones that do not infringe the self-determination of other people.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Nonsensei on September 03, 2016, 10:40:46 PM
This is a toughie for me. I think the protest itself was a fairly good one. As soon as he did it everyone knew what he was doing. Simplicity and effectiveness in a single movement.

HOWEVER

The guy is essentially at work. I don't know about you but when they're paying me for my time I leave my personal and political opinions at the door. I AGREE to do that, as a condition of my employment.

He used the platform provided by his employer for purposes not related to his job. In any company that's grounds for termination. This is the same thing as if I had gotten on my company's twitter and tweeted support for black lives matter. I would be fired so fucking fast, not because my company hates BLM but because you don't fucking do that. You don't impose your own political positions on the company you work for, and you DEFINITELY don't do it using their own media outlets.

If he had protested on his own time as his own person rather than as a team member of the 49'ers then I would be behind him all the way. But he didn't do that.

You are not a public figure. You are not being watched by hundreds of millions of people when you are doing your job. Your job is seperate than your private identity and life. It doesn't define your life. You do your job, you get out and you are free.

Criticising this issue from an aspect of their professional job and the 'company' they work for is being more royalist than the king. And it is nowhere near comparable to you using your company twitter to suppoert BLM.

Football players are 'heroes', celebrities and public figures in almost every human culture. (More in American culture) They are the only public figures among all others that appeal and followed by the biggest population on the planet. More than actresses, singers, politicians or showmen...etc. everyone.. you name it. Children, men and women, every group of people watch them, know about them.  (The good or bad consequences of this is situation or why it is like that is altogether another discusion.)

And they are constantly asked to lead charities, take attention to good causes, use their fame and power for something good and get criticised if they don't. They also do not just earn money for themselves but earn money to their clubs with lots of other things other than just playing on the ground. They are constantly criticised -mostly correct- on how ignorant, bulk headed walking pile of muscles chasing women all the time, prone to crime, exploiting their status, their privilege left and right, how ridiculously high they are paid...etc.

But when a few of them decide to take a graceful stand to protest an obvious gangren issue in their countries, they are criticised with not doing it their own time or with this and that? Bullshit.

They are also black. They are individuals who are entitled to their opinions with the right of saying it out loud and protest. They also have the perfect circumstances and conditions to make a stand of the sort. Why wouldn't they use it?

I certainly know you personally don't think this way, but common white public response to their protests simply makes me ask: "Black people are fine with their athletic prowess, but not when they speak their minds?" Bullshit. Hypocritical bullshit. Franky, white response to these people were 'Shut up!'.

Besides, being public figures, do you honesly think they wouldn't get a similar esponse if they protested in their own time? This is not about them or their perfectly benign protest.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

This is about the majority of white class -they are also right wing- not being able to tolerate hearing anything about the race issues of their country, let alone stand to face a protest. They do not want to know about it or hear about it and feel entitled to backlash any protest without any discrimination. Because they do not live in that world, they do not expeerience any of those problems and frankly they do not care.

This is what I was talking about in most threads about all these groups be it BLM or others -I accept that not as graceful as the football players- that this is the main factor that radicalise people and the ugly truth why they get hostile tendencies at some point. Constant backlash. Constant denial. Everything is fucking fine. No, it is not.

It doesn't matter if people can accept it or not, put it in the most blunt expression, hostility and violence turns the problems of one group to the problem of another group who refuses to recognise those problems or acknowledge that they exist. Yeah fucked up, yeah crazy...it is also the dark, carefully unmentioned dynamic of human civilisation from the beginning. There is no way of fighting with this. There has never been.

However, if people support certain style of protests or at least criticise the ridiculous, toxic backlash that gets vomited -cannot find any other sutiable word- every time something like this happens that might influence other protestors.

A collective bakclash drowning simple, peaceful reactions like these is the form of oppression available in the American society. Nobody wants to use the word unless it is satire or sarcastic about some issue. Why? Because expressing a simple obvious situation straightforward is identified with radicalisation. If you are using words of the sort, you are 'radicalised' and harmful.

How political correctness you said ruined the Western civilsation again?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp