Clark Kent's Glasses Really Do Mask His Identity... Kinda

Started by SGOS, September 02, 2016, 12:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1551789/

Here it is a scientific study on using glasses to hide your identity.  Actually, the science is not bad, but the journalism reporting the study is positively horrible.  Well, not to be too hard on the writer, I'll allow he might have been writing with tongue in cheek.

PickelledEggs

Baruch

Sufficiently distorting bottle glasses would throw of face Id software, which checks the distance between your eyes vs other measurements.  So it would probably throw off human identification too.  But then Clark Kent would look like a bigger dork than he already does ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

"I've seen you naked! You think I wouldn't recognize you because I can't see your cheek bones?" Carol Ferris to Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

> thread analysis........done
> 404 detected
> computing best guess alternative link....done
> acceptable match Y/N?

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 02, 2016, 01:51:51 PM
404: scientific study not found.

I never responded to this because I thought it was a joke, but then Hydra mentioned it, and I'm pretty sure that was partly a joke, but I didn't understand it.  Anyway, you're right; Error 404.  I see they are now putting adds on error notices.  Yee Gods!  The internet is getting worse that TV, and I got rid of my TV. 

But FWIW, I didn't make this thread up, a study was actually done on the effectiveness of eye classes as a disguise.  It was to shed more light on problems faced by homeland security, airport security, etc.  It was done for the FBI, I think.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 03, 2016, 02:39:48 PM
I never responded to this because I thought it was a joke, but then Hydra mentioned it, and I'm pretty sure that was partly a joke, but I didn't understand it.  Anyway, you're right; Error 404.  I see they are now putting adds on error notices.  Yee Gods!  The internet is getting worse that TV, and I got rid of my TV.
It's link rot, the bane of the internet.  Imagine having a collection of photos by which you know the world, each one unique and irreplaceable.  Now imagine them winking out of existence, one by one.  Or more precisely, about 3-5% per year.  You can replace them with new pictures, of course.  Snap away to your heart's content.  But everything fades.  Everything.

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 03, 2016, 06:08:14 PM
Computers crash.  Links rot.  This is not good.

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)
       THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2016, 06:10:55 PM
  William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)
       THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

It's the rupture!

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 03, 2016, 06:08:14 PM
Computers crash.  Links rot.  This is not good.

Entropy is inescapable.  Stupidity means you never even try to escape.

DHS is vetting contracts for automated face recognition, so they can lay off airport baggage checkers.  AI will save The State.  And there are also RFPs for anti-automated face recognition (take that Putin) and anti-anti-face recognition ... and the arms race resumes.

The modern White House occasionally takes input from the public, via topical questionaires.  they had one earlier this year about the potential use of AI in the government.  It is the only government survey to the public, that I have ever responded to.  I was even respectful in my response.  I doubt anyone bothered to read let alone understand my thoughtful response.  You can't have AI where there is no I to begin with.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 05, 2016, 09:32:22 AM

The modern White House occasionally takes input from the public, via topical questionaires. 

No kidding?  I've never been asked what I thought by any White House or political party.  The only thing they ask me for is a contribution.  Well, one time I did get a survey from my US Senator, Conrad Burns, of Montana.  But it was the silliest survey ever, question after question took the format of "Do you prefer 'X' or would you rather see Montana's economy go bankrupt?"  and "Do you prefer 'X' or would you rather see Montana families be sent to interment camps?"  It was two pages of question begging with inquiries phrased in such a way that imbeciles could figure out the correct answers and pass.  I never saw such a nakedly disguised piece of propaganda.  He won the next election, and maybe the one after that, but finally he got caught up in some bribery scandal.  No one ever figured out if he had done anything illegal or not, but the scandal did him in.

Baruch

This one I responded to, was open to the public, not just me ;-)  Also the general topic was given, but not question/answer format.  Your input could be free form text.  In that sense, it was far superior to the one you responded to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2016, 10:48:49 AM
No kidding?  I've never been asked what I thought by any White House or political party.  The only thing they ask me for is a contribution.  Well, one time I did get a survey from my US Senator, Conrad Burns, of Montana.  But it was the silliest survey ever, question after question took the format of "Do you prefer 'X' or would you rather see Montana's economy go bankrupt?"  and "Do you prefer 'X' or would you rather see Montana families be sent to interment camps?"  It was two pages of question begging with inquiries phrased in such a way that imbeciles could figure out the correct answers and pass.  I never saw such a nakedly disguised piece of propaganda.  He won the next election, and maybe the one after that, but finally he got caught up in some bribery scandal.  No one ever figured out if he had done anything illegal or not, but the scandal did him in.

You never worked in Washington DC apparently. ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 29, 2016, 11:23:31 AM
You never worked in Washington DC apparently. ;)

Washington, DC is what Chicago aspired to be in the 1920s.