News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God is Dead

Started by RocketLauncher13, September 01, 2016, 08:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Great vid, I liked it a lot. It was short and to the point. Too bad you couldn't make the voice sound like Hawking, but I guess we can't have everything, huh? I wonder if Hawking's voice is copyrighted, or something...

I guess Christians attribute all the horrible cruelty in the natural world to Eve having eaten the fucking fruit. Before then all the animals either didn't have to eat, or at least didn't eat each other.

I wouldn't have anything at all to do with anyone who truly believed that silliness. I don't believe anyone really does believe it, though.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Per Randy ... casuistry is taught in Catholic seminaries.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2016, 06:55:25 PM
Per Randy ... casuistry is taught in Catholic seminaries.

Just for clarification did he actually say that, or does the church actually teach it?

cas·u·ist·ry
/ˈkaZHÉ™wÉ™strÄ"/
noun: casuistry; plural noun: casuistries
the use of clever but unsound reasoning, especially in relation to moral questions; sophistry.
synonyms: sophistry, specious reasoning, speciousness, sophism, equivocation 

Blackleaf

Quote from: widdershins on September 06, 2016, 04:33:04 PM
That double standard is the foundation upon which belief is built.  Your one example is just a drop in the ocean.  It's in their every argument.  Without double standards their entire belief system falls apart.  Look at Randy's arguments.  One expert who agreed with him was worth more than any number of experts who didn't.  One source he liked outweighed any and all sources he didn't, regardless which was more credible.  And look at the "uncaused cause" argument.  No matter how far you go back it is IMPOSSIBLE in their minds that the "first cause" be not-God because reason after reason, but all those reasons go away when you argue that God must then have had a creator.  And the Bible itself is evidence that Christianity is true and real, as is any text, ancient or young, which supports their beliefs, but no text which does not is credible in any way.  One is stupid both for not believing in their particular God as they see him AND for believing in any other god in any form.

Christians DO have it both ways, in their heads anyway.  They always have and they always will.

Hell, many even believe that God is both one and THREE at the same time. How does this make sense? They don't know. They don't even try to explain it. They just believe it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 06, 2016, 09:44:20 PM
Hell, many even believe that God is both one and THREE at the same time. How does this make sense? They don't know. They don't even try to explain it. They just believe it.
Well he's like Batman: sometimes he's Batman, and sometimes he's Bruce Wayne. He's two and one at the same time. Same thing with God: sometimes he's God, sometimes he's Jesus, and the rest of the time he's Casper the Holy Ghost.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 07, 2016, 01:57:32 AM
Well he's like Batman: sometimes he's Batman, and sometimes he's Bruce Wayne. He's two and one at the same time. Same thing with God: sometimes he's God, sometimes he's Jesus, and the rest of the time he's Casper the Holy Ghost.

Some apparently try to use the "trinity of trinities" to justify the Holy Trinity. Time, space, and matter come in three forms, and yet are one. So why not God?

Well, first of all, matter has four states, not three. The fourth is plasma. Second, out of these three, only one actually exists: matter. Time and space are just measurements. God is not claimed to be a measurement, but a real person. Third, even if matter did have only three forms, they could only be one at once. You will never find an object that is a solid, liquid, and gas at the same time. It has to be one or the other. Yet they claim that God is three persons at once, but he's not three separate gods.

Oh, shit. I just made a trinity. Umm... Well, I guess that means that God really is three and one.

EDIT: Oh yeah. And I believe that space is believed to have more than four dimensions as well. Something to do with quarks or quantum strings or whatever. So space may not even be a trinity either.
--Fulke Greville--

widdershins

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 06, 2016, 09:44:20 PM
I think that concept is a way to make God mysterious and beyond understanding.  It is such an alien concept to us, so impossible for us to understand that when you try to comprehend it God simply looks more powerful and mysterious, beyond our understanding.  It's a way to distance him from us.
This sentence is a lie...

widdershins

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 07, 2016, 02:52:34 AM
Some apparently try to use the "trinity of trinities" to justify the Holy Trinity. Time, space, and matter come in three forms, and yet are one. So why not God?

Well, first of all, matter has four states, not three. The fourth is plasma. Second, out of these three, only one actually exists: matter. Time and space are just measurements. God is not claimed to be a measurement, but a real person. Third, even if matter did have only three forms, they could only be one at once. You will never find an object that is a solid, liquid, and gas at the same time. It has to be one or the other. Yet they claim that God is three persons at once, but he's not three separate gods.

Oh, shit. I just made a trinity. Umm... Well, I guess that means that God really is three and one.

EDIT: Oh yeah. And I believe that space is believed to have more than four dimensions as well. Something to do with quarks or quantum strings or whatever. So space may not even be a trinity either.
Ah, but had you considered THIS?

When arranged thusly, this proof of the trinity, itself being a trinity of trinities, in the shape of a triangle, it greatly resembles the Triforce, being a THIRD TRINITY!  Now we have a trinity of trinity of trinities!  Explain THAT with your science!
This sentence is a lie...

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 07, 2016, 02:52:34 AMWell, first of all, matter has four states, not three. The fourth is plasma.
That's a simplified version, which is useful for cooking.  But it gets way more complex than that:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_of_matter

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2016, 07:25:25 PM
Just for clarification did he actually say that, or does the church actually teach it?

cas·u·ist·ry
/ˈkaZHÉ™wÉ™strÄ"/
noun: casuistry; plural noun: casuistries
the use of clever but unsound reasoning, especially in relation to moral questions; sophistry.
synonyms: sophistry, specious reasoning, speciousness, sophism, equivocation

Look it up.  But Randy would never admit this, his hierarchy is saintly.  Lying for the faith, and using un-reason ... have been self-acknowledged policy ... for many centuries now.  Though the Jesuits in the 1500s gave it new juice.  They inherited this from the secular Greeks of Socrates' day.  Being a Sophist is how you project you are a sophisticate at those homo-erotic symposia (cocktail parties).  Read both .. the one by Plato and the one by Xenophon.  It is Internet trolling ... without the Internet, but with naked boys and lots of wine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: widdershins on September 07, 2016, 11:13:14 AM
Ah, but had you considered THIS?

When arranged thusly, this proof of the trinity, itself being a trinity of trinities, in the shape of a triangle, it greatly resembles the Triforce, being a THIRD TRINITY!  Now we have a trinity of trinity of trinities!  Explain THAT with your science!
There's also the trinity of quark generations, u-d, s-c, t-b. I just found out that quarks may not be fundamental particles.

The number 3 seems to be embedded many places in our cosmic structure
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2016, 06:08:58 PM
But Randy would never admit this, his hierarchy is saintly.  Lying for the faith, and using un-reason ... have been self-acknowledged policy ... for many centuries now.

Well, I assume they teach apologetics, so why not casuistry?  Introduction and advanced.

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 07, 2016, 02:52:34 AM

If you have a solid, liquid, and gas all next to each other at the same time are all three still matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackleaf

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on September 07, 2016, 10:00:04 PM

If you have a solid, liquid, and gas all next to each other at the same time are all three still matter?

Have you ever seen a single object that was simultaneously a solid, liquid, and a gas all at once? No. But even if you did, it wouldn't make the Holy Trinity any less ridiculous.

You and I are not the same person, but we are both human. Are we two in one? Are we one human, two persons?
--Fulke Greville--

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2016, 03:05:30 AM
Have you ever seen a single object that was simultaneously a solid, liquid, and a gas all at once? No. But even if you did, it wouldn't make the Holy Trinity any less ridiculous.

You and I are not the same person, but we are both human. Are we two in one? Are we one human, two persons?

Is the trinity a single object?

No we are not two in one. We are individuals. This question is irrelevant. This is not a good comparison to the other examples given in this thread.