News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are we alone?

Started by Unbeliever, August 31, 2016, 05:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 11, 2016, 11:57:35 AM
And HOLY SHIT!  Suppose we send out the one signal that alerts some race of giants with technology that leads them here so we can all be made into little sausage links for their dinner tables? Oops. Well we didn't really mean for this to happen so let's pretend that it didn't. We're an extremely war-like bunch and make assumptions that every other potential race in the universe isn't.. That's a hell of a leap of faith wouldn't you say?
And another one is to assume that they're like us in any way.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

TomFoolery

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 11, 2016, 11:33:57 AM
One thing the Drake Equation ignores is "Why would they come here?"

It doesn't, actually. This falls under the consideration of Communication (f sub c). They must be both able and willing to communicate.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 12, 2016, 10:09:53 AM
It doesn't, actually. This falls under the consideration of Communication (f sub c). They must be both able and willing to communicate.
And the "willing" requires that they be interested in talking to us or visiting. Why would they do that?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

TomFoolery

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 12, 2016, 10:48:25 AM
And the "willing" requires that they be interested in talking to us or visiting. Why would they do that?

They might not be. That's why you have to consider that before assigned a value to f sub c.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

widdershins

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 01, 2016, 05:57:12 PM
I think planets that are sufficiently Earth-like are very rare. It's unlikely that any such are within several thousand light years of us, if there are any at all. Even if there are planets enough like ours, the likelihood is very small, I think, that evolution would've generated something remotely like us.

Of course, there could be life very much unlike us, not needing our type of planet at all.

This is the rare Earth equation:

I watch a lot of sci-fi and I can tell you definitively, almost all intelligent life in the universe has quite a bit in common with us.  Usually 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes on the front of the head, we can mate with most of it (thank you Captain Kirk for testing compatibility with literally every green species).  They do sometimes breath different atmosphere, but for the most part they're even oxygen breathers, or at least can wear an unobtrusive device creating little wisps now and then so that they can tolerate our atmosphere.  The biggest differences tend to be the head and face or number of fingers and the occasional antenna.
This sentence is a lie...

TomFoolery

Quote from: widdershins on December 12, 2016, 05:25:11 PM
I watch a lot of sci-fi and I can tell you definitively, almost all intelligent life in the universe has quite a bit in common with us. 

No... Some of them have strange ridges on their foreheads, whilst others have strange ridges on their cheeks. Still other species might have some kind of ridge on their chin, an unusual plume of hair, or colorful spotting. We're entirely different. Fantastically different. Not at all alike. Tell me that Bajorans, Betazoids, Trills, or Vulcans are like humans and I'll call you insane.

Baruch

Those are just the kind of diverse "humans" you find in Hollywood ;-)  They aren't aliens at all, unless they hail from Mexico ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Thanks for the correction TomFoolery. I wasn't aware of self annihilation being in the equation...

S.C.P. is a good way to imagine who is going to eat us for dinner. It would be nice to be so different that any alien visitors could coexist because they dont need what we need to live.

Attention all aliens that want to eat us Please, Please, Please don't show up while Donald Trump is taking care of us

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on December 13, 2016, 12:35:26 AM
Thanks for the correction TomFoolery. I wasn't aware of self annihilation being in the equation...

S.C.P. is a good way to imagine who is going to eat us for dinner. It would be nice to be so different that any alien visitors could coexist because they dont need what we need to live.

Attention all aliens that want to eat us Please, Please, Please don't show up while Donald Trump is taking care of us

Italians are ... meat balls and pepperoni ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: TomFoolery on December 12, 2016, 05:29:17 PM
No... Some of them have strange ridges on their foreheads, whilst others have strange ridges on their cheeks. Still other species might have some kind of ridge on their chin, an unusual plume of hair, or colorful spotting. We're entirely different. Fantastically different. Not at all alike. Tell me that Bajorans, Betazoids, Trills, or Vulcans are like humans and I'll call you insane.
Well yeah, but those are minor differences.  It's less different than, say, Lady Gaga is to humans.
This sentence is a lie...

Unbeliever

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on December 11, 2016, 11:57:35 AMWe're an extremely war-like bunch and make assumptions that every other potential race in the universe isn't.. That's a hell of a leap of faith wouldn't you say?

Yeah, considering that any alien intelligence would likely have evolved from a predator species. Predators need more smarts to outwit the defenses of their prey.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: widdershins on December 12, 2016, 05:25:11 PM
I watch a lot of sci-fi and I can tell you definitively, almost all intelligent life in the universe has quite a bit in common with us.  Usually 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes on the front of the head, we can mate with most of it (thank you Captain Kirk for testing compatibility with literally every green species).  They do sometimes breath different atmosphere, but for the most part they're even oxygen breathers, or at least can wear an unobtrusive device creating little wisps now and then so that they can tolerate our atmosphere.  The biggest differences tend to be the head and face or number of fingers and the occasional antenna.
I've been wondering lately whether aliens would even share our time sense; there's no reason they have to experience time in the same way we do, Kirk notwithstanding. I know my own time sense gets distorted whenever I smoke the ganja. Perhaps a day to them is as a thousand years...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 13, 2016, 04:45:54 PM
I've been wondering lately whether aliens would even share our time sense; there's no reason they have to experience time in the same way we do, Kirk notwithstanding. I know my own time sense gets distorted whenever I smoke the ganja. Perhaps a day to them is as a thousand years...

It is very hard for Slackers to conquer the Gamma quadrant ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Baruch

If our politicians had to spend part of their time in a bucket ... we could take advantage of that, and pour them in the toilet and flush them, while they were vulnerable ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.