Author Topic: Are we alone?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Baruch

Re: Are we alone?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Neurology ... our inner brain is reptilian, it lurks inside the mammalian, which lurks inside the cognitive.  The most inner core of the brain .. we are jellyfish with bad attitude ;-)
שלום

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
Neurology ... our inner brain is reptilian, it lurks inside the mammalian, which lurks inside the cognitive.  The most inner core of the brain .. we are jellyfish with bad attitude ;-)
Once you go lizard  you never go back.

Unless you go kaiju, in which case fuck them little lizards.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 03:41:21 AM »
Obama is a reptile. It says so on the internet and they can't say things that aren't true on the internet.
Oh wait..R E P E T I T I O N.. I read reptilian..  IT'S THE SAME THING, DAMMIT!

Well, there is value in reptiles.  As they say, a crocodilian never forgets...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline Unbeliever (OP)

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »
Some reptiles are only valuable because they can be made into boots.

God Not Found
"FRAUD. The life of commerce, the soul of religion, the bait of courtship, and the basis of political power."
Ambrose Bierce

Offline Baruch

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
Alligator tastes good ... a bit like shark ... for some strange reason ;-)  Maybe all the naked women bathers they consume ;-(
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:39 AM »
Some reptiles are only valuable because they can be made into boots.

(Image removed from quote.)

Maybe that camian's mother ate  small python invading the Everglades...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Offline Baruch

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2016, 06:46:08 AM »
Pythons don't stay small ... similar to government programs ;-)
שלום

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
I think the rare earth equation is missing a factor. Any intelligent species will at some point discover nuclear weapons. So the missing factor in the equation is the percentage of species that survive the discovery of nuclear weapons versus those that destroy themselves.
god is never early, but he is never late either... so true, so true; but I would rather have him show up late than to not show up at all. When was the last time god showed up for anything??? uh never

Offline aitm

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:55 PM »
meh, frankly I can't buy that of the hundred billion (trilllion) snowflakes that no two are alike.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
meh, frankly I can't buy that of the hundred billion (trilllion) snowflakes that no two are alike.....
Most of them aren't symmetrical. The ones in the books were chosen out of the masses.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Baruch

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »
Most of them aren't symmetrical. The ones in the books were chosen out of the masses.

Metaphor for current Democrats? ;-)
שלום

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 09:12:39 PM »
That's likely true, because we're talking about a pretty sizable amount of water molecules and slight changes in temperature and pressure change how they grow.  You end up with a branching process through a huge amount of possible outcomes.

In much the same way, life on Earth went through one hell of a branching process.  Who knows where we'd be if the K/T extinction never happened or if mitochondria never hooked up with eukaryotes or if bees never evolved.  If the Toba event was just a little bit more disastrous than it was, humanity gets snuffed out.

So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical on the idea that if check out enough planets, one of them is going to be just like Earth.  I could understand a planet very similar to Earth.  But pink bipedal mammals with opposable thumbs, speech, and an utterly bizarre tendency to produce Sharknado movies?  I doubt it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:50:04 AM by Hydra009 »

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 06:04:04 AM »
Metaphor for current Democrats? ;-)
Same old hobby horse? You're going to swayback that beast.
PZ Myers

Offline TomFoolery

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
I think the rare earth equation is missing a factor. Any intelligent species will at some point discover nuclear weapons. So the missing factor in the equation is the percentage of species that survive the discovery of nuclear weapons versus those that destroy themselves.

Are you referring to the Drake Equation?

Actually, this is rolled up into the consideration of lifetime of a civilization, or "L". I took a very interesting seminar on the topic of extraterrestrial life in college. I imagined I would watch a few episodes of Ancient Aliens and write a few papers about it, but we broke down the Drake Equation to the nitty gritty.

The lifetime of a civilization can be limited by any number of things which fall into only two categories. Either we'll kill ourselves off or something else will do it for us.

It's easy to come up with ideas for how we'll end our species, and nuclear weapons is just one of many possibilities. It also includes biological weapons, climate change, the singularity, etc. Granted, some are more far-fetched than others, but that's what's fun about pondering the possibility.

Coming up with ways in which other things could kill us is tougher but scarier. Seismic activity, massive solar storms, asteroid impacts, devastating plague, are the ones that might come to mind, but there are a whole host of astronomic phenomena we don't understand. You can even add in alien invasions. It's theoretically possible, right?

But the flip side to the idea that every advanced civilization eventually builds the tools to destroy itself is that to have advanced so far, we must also be building the tools to save ourselves. And we are. Nuclear weapons have devastating consequences, but nuclear energy offers a lot of solutions to climate change, if done correctly. Biological weapons and incredible medical advancements also go hand in hand.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »
One thing the Drake Equation ignores is "Why would they come here?"
PZ Myers