Here is your chance: Prove Ivan Panin wrong

Started by GTR-1, August 29, 2016, 08:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTR-1

This is an atheist forum, so what better place to write this thread? :P

Russian mathematician Ivan Panin discovered the heptadic structure a century ago. Skeptics claim that it's only coincidence and that it can easily be written by anyone. So I am here to request that a person be the contender and actually produce such a genealogy and prove once and for all that Ivan Panin was an idiot.

What you have do to, is write an entirely fictional genealogy and fulfill all of the requirements below. You are free to use any computer programs that you believe would be able to help you in your mission. I wish you luck and I am positive that you will not be able to do it, exactly because it's divinely inspired. Who is going to take on the challenge?

(1) The total number of letters has to be divisible by seven
(2) The total number of words has to be divisible by seven
(3) The total number of names has to be divisible by seven
(4) The total number of vowels has to be divisible by seven
(5) The total number of nouns has to be divisible by seven
(6) The total number of generations has to be divisible by seven
(7) The total number of male names has to be divisible by seven
(8) The total number of words that begin with a vowel must be divisible by seven
(9) The total number of words that begin with a noun must be divisible by seven
(10) The total number of words that appear in one form must be divisible by seven
(11) The total number of words that appear only once must be divisible by seven
(12) The total number of words that begin with a consonant must be divisible by seven

SGOS

Well, that sounds like a productive thing to do with your time.

Mike Cl

Quote from: GTR-1 on August 29, 2016, 08:26:07 PM

Russian mathematician Ivan Panin discovered the heptadic structure a century ago. Skeptics claim that it's only coincidence and that it can easily be written by anyone. So I am here to request that a person be the contender and actually produce such a genealogy and prove once and for all that Ivan Panin was an idiot.

What you have do to, is write an entirely fictional genealogy and fulfill all of the requirements below. You are free to use any computer programs that you believe would be able to help you in your mission. I wish you luck and I am positive that you will not be able to do it, exactly because it's divinely inspired. Who is going to take on the challenge?

(8) The total number of words that begin with a vowel must be divisible by seven
(10) The total number of words that appear in one form must be divisible by seven
(12) The total number of words that begin with a consonant must be divisible by seven
This is supposed to prove what, exactly????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

What the hell does that have to do with divinity/god/supernatural anything?

It's just math. I guess clever math, but it's just math.

PickelledEggs

Hold on. Hold on. I have proof of god right here, guys. We were wrong the whole time!!!

Hydra009

"Hey guys, numbers divisible by seven appear in the bible a lot."

aitm

Quote from: GTR-1 on August 29, 2016, 08:26:07 PM

Where do I fit in the part where you have to cut off your wifes hand if she helps save the lives of her family by grabbing a murderers testicles…do I divide, multiply or add or subtract 7…this shit always gets me confused..cause usually, you know…the babble is so specific
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

God says sky is water….divide by 7 and suddenly ….sky is ..er…… still water

God says universe is 7 days old…..divide by seven and …one day old…EUREKA!

God says bacon is bad..divide by seven and….BACON is GREAT!!! Fuck god!

God says girls are only worth half a boy..FUCK YEAH BITCHES!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

If god exists, why does my crap smell like shit?

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

stromboli

http://users.cecs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/panin.html

http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/83.htm

QuoteProbability theory says that the multiplication rule used by Panin is appropriate only for independent events (coin tossing is a good example).  It should not be applied indiscriminately to all events or else the results will be incorrect and misleading.  Moreover, by choosing a sufficient number of features it is possible to show that almost any set of events is impossible (that is, it has a very small probability of occurring).

Besides omitting his failures, Panin often counts a single feature more than once, and then goes on to extract an incorrect probability. Perhaps he was not a brilliant mathematician after all.  For example, features 3, 4 and 5 of Matthew 1:18-25 are in reality only a single feature (see main text).  Consider that if the vocabulary is 77 words (11 x 7, feature 3), the sum of its figures 7 + 7 must be 14 (feature 4).  Furthermore, Panin has the audacity to count it a third time as feature 5, the difference between the tens (70) and the units and tens (77).

Mathematically, the probability of these three features occurring together is 1 (that is, the result is certain to occur), because the other two features must follow if the number is 77.

Essentially what Panin has done applies equally to Bible code researchers.  By giving a great prominence to their 'successes' they have convinced some that the improbable has happened.  In reality, with so many possibilities the unusual is certain to occur.

Took me 5 minutes. Try again.

stromboli

Oh and btw, Panin apparently cooked this up 30 years ago. In more modern times one of his fans was Grant Jefferies, a Dispensationalist. Soon as I saw Jefferies name I knew it was BS. Jefferies is a big believer in the Rapture and wrote a book about it that I read; his proof? "Well, it's in the Bible, you just have to read between the lines"

Snake oil by any other name is still snake oil.

drunkenshoe

What is it with believers and prime and palindromic numbers? Seriously.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 30, 2016, 03:34:37 AM
What is it with believers and prime and palindromic numbers? Seriously.

It's conformation bias. They latch onto anything that leads to 'therefore god' like a dog to a bone.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Ahh!  Numbers are magical, and are sent from above.

Alcoholics Anonymous, which leans heavily on biblical inspiration, makes a big deal out of twelve.  Not only does it claim there are twelve steps to recovery, but also makes a big deal about its own traditions, of which it claims there are also twelve.  One can sense that the magic in "twelve" must be more important to alcoholics than the actual content of the steps, when it becomes obvious that some of the steps are just fluff and must have been created to reach a total of twelve. 

It also seems that the twelve traditions were created to imbue more power to the number twelve.  The traditions really couldn't be all that "traditional" when they were invented around the same time as the inception of AA itself.  In my mind, a tradition is established over a longer period of time.  But that the traditions of AA also happen to be exactly twelve must be proof that AA has roots in the divine.

I've also sensed, but possibly incorrectly, that the public at large must be aware of the comical preoccupation with twelve, when it commonly refers to any recovery program, be it from alcohol, drugs, or sex, as a "twelve step program".  Furthermore, the context of the 12 step description often implies a great deal of foo-fah makes up the basis for recovery, much as alcohol itself was usually the basic foo-fah of old time snake oils that cured almost all ailments.