Need questions for Christians for my apologetics website

Started by GTR-1, August 29, 2016, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Here is a few questions:

Why do Wheat Thins taste so good? Why do I feel the need to eat an entire box in one sitting?

Blackleaf

I like how Christians use "former atheist" status as if it supposed to make what they say more relevant. I don't care if you were raised atheist or if you converted. If anything, converting as a fully grown adult makes me have less respect for you. A child who is indoctrinated from a young age at least has an excuse for why they believe what they do.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

widdershins

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 31, 2016, 02:34:33 PM
I like how Christians use "former atheist" status as if it supposed to make what they say more relevant. I don't care if you were raised atheist or if you converted. If anything, converting as a fully grown adult makes me have less respect for you. A child who is indoctrinated from a young age at least has an excuse for why they believe what they do.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all these "former atheists" fall pretty much into 2 categories, liars and idiots.
This sentence is a lie...

Mike Cl

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 31, 2016, 01:33:07 PM
Here is a few questions:

Why do Wheat Thins taste so good? Why do I feel the need to eat an entire box in one sitting?
I think that is a sign of intelligence.  At least it is when I do it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

The main question I have about Christianity (or Judaism/Islam) is this:

How can anyone be expected to actually worship such a monstrous being as that depicted as the deity in both the Old and New testaments?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

widdershins

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2016, 04:23:05 PM

How can anyone be expected to actually worship such a monstrous being as that depicted as the deity in both the Old and New testaments?
For me it's not even about whether their God is actually good or not.  That's a different argument altogether asking them to explain that if our morality comes from God then how is it even possible for God to do anything which even appears to be immoral to us.  But my problem is more basic than that.  A big part of worshiping it is begging for forgiveness.  how fucking long do we have to do that?  They say that we are born into original sin, so it's impossible for us to live a life without sin.  What does that mean?  Two VERY big things.  First, I'm still begging for forgiveness for what fucking ADAM did!  Jesus fuck, am I fucking forgiven for something I didn't even do or not?  If I am then why do my children ALSO have to beg forgiveness for the SAME FUCKING SIN?  Second, if I have to beg forgiveness for my sins, if I am made by God's own design and if it is impossible for me to live a life without sin, isn't that asking me to beg forgiveness for not doing the impossible from the person who designed me in such a way as to make it impossible?  That's like me cutting off your hands and then demanding that you pinch me.  If you don't, which I just made sure you can't, it's YOU who owes ME an apology?  That's the stupidest fucking thing I ever heard!  And I've seen a few Trump speeches!

Baruch

As demon spawn, it comes natural for us.  But this question of singular responsibility doesn't even come up in polytheism.  You need your god to protect you from their god.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

On pain of hellfire, obviously.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Simon Moon

Exactly!

Even if I was convinced that the Christian god did exist, and the Bible is an accurate depiction of his behavior, then I would not worship him.

I can't think of too many worse universes, than one where the Christian god existed.

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Blackleaf

Quote from: widdershins on August 31, 2016, 02:48:28 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all these "former atheists" fall pretty much into 2 categories, liars and idiots.

It's pretty hypocritical of them too, if you think about it. If a person gives up their Christianity, what do they say? He doesn't count. He wasn't a real Christian. He wasn't serious about his faith. He didn't understand the Bible. He just wanted to sin. They don't represent true Christianity. But when we hear from "former atheists," we're supposed to treat them as equals, and to not dismiss them the way that they dismiss former Christians.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

I have another question. If christianity is correct, why does halal food that i get off of the street at a nyc food cart for 7 dollars taste so good?

It's way better than your christian Chick-fil-a, so how do you think your religion is better when islam has better food?

PickelledEggs

Also. i can go there at 3 in the morning for a full-blown feast. For 7 dollars. Put that in your pope and smoke it.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 01, 2016, 03:35:38 AM
I have another question. If christianity is correct, why does halal food that i get off of the street at a nyc food cart for 7 dollars taste so good?

It's way better than your christian Chick-fil-a, so how do you think your religion is better when islam has better food?

To be fair though; no bacon.

Also, why is mr. Former atheist asking us to come up with questions?
If he doesn't remember what bugged him 'back when he was an atheist', he's got a shit memory.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: widdershins on August 31, 2016, 02:48:28 PM
3, "the pseudo-atheist", someone who thinks they are free of imaginary friends but haven't really made the change. This involves self-deception or just a lack of the basic information, but they are out there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

widdershins

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 01, 2016, 07:56:09 AM
3, "the pseudo-atheist", someone who thinks they are free of imaginary friends but haven't really made the change. This involves self-deception or just a lack of the basic information, but they are out there.
I realize this is the "No true Scotsman" fallacy, but it just seems so right.  I cannot imagine ever being Christian again.  I cannot imagine a thing that would lead me to that.  Christians can imagine a LOT of things that not only would, but WILL take me to God, the biggest one being my death bead.  But what they fail to understand is that I just don't [i/believe[/i] there is anything out there.  I would no more turn to God for help on my death bed than I would Tinker Bell or Buggs Bunny.

But, of course, there is the possibility that I am guilty of a thing I have seen in Christians many times, lack of imagination.  When lifetime Christians try to imagine not believing in God the most they can muster is "turning from" God.  When they're trying to imagine not believing in the backs of their heads there is still a voice shouting "God is real!", so when they try to imagine not believing in God what they actually imagine is not believing in a God who is very real.  They also believe they can feel his presence, which is the greatest thing ever.  So they imagine a giant void in their lives.  And they've always imagined that people who didn't feel that presence were miserable.  How much more so if they knew this wonderful thing and lost it?  They can process the "don't believe" part, it's the "because it's not true" part they can't fathom.

The end result is that they end up seeing themselves as worse off.  Because they have no experience with truly believing there is no God they can only filter it through their own experience and warped perceptions of reality.  I do have experience being a Christian AND experience being an atheist, but let's face it, my experiences as a Christian were in the brain-washy cult-like Pentecostal religion.  About the only way I can think of that it could have been worse is if I were an altar boy in the Catholic Church.  So it is possible that my own perceptions are skewed.  I know I am heavily biased, but I would hope that my self-acknowledgement of that allows me to keep it in check.

I guess I would really like to talk to a few of these "used to be atheist" people.  I would bet that none of them are like me.  They are the "un-reasoned atheist" vs the "reasoned atheist" which we tend to think of when we think of atheists.  They are people who didn't seriously consider the question for a few years and arrive at the inescapable conclusion that it's all made up.  They hare people who have not been exposed to and accepted the facts as they are.  It would take something pretty serious to get me to believe in God.  We're talking brain injury, some experience powerful enough that it defies logic (and magic isn't going to happen) or a real effort on my part to replace the things I know to be true with the things I want to be true.  I don't think I could do that without being consciously aware that I was doing it.

No, these have to be people who never really gave it much thought.  The type who just can't fathom why we would find it so hard to believe that an atheist would get religion because, while they may have identified as atheist, they were never anything like us.