Need questions for Christians for my apologetics website

Started by GTR-1, August 29, 2016, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: widdershins on August 29, 2016, 05:16:21 PM
Well, at least it wasn't a drive-by...unless you just circled back.

So, it's a "collection of reasons"?  Not ONE of them is important enough to stand on its own?  You're telling me that there is not one single "good" reason to believe?

Here's another question for you.  What does it usually mean when you ask a simple question and get a complicated answer?  Think about that one.  Think about some examples.  A cop asks a suspect, "Were you there when the drug deal went down?"  A simple question.  The suspect's reply starts out, "Well, what you have to understand is..."  Why did he do that?  Why would he not answer "yes" or "no", the simple response to a simple question?

I won't keep you in suspense.  In his case it means, "Yes, but I don't want to tell you that."  In your case giving a convoluted answer without actually answering anything keeps you from having to come up with an answer you know you don't have.

Uhhh. Well so far, it is a drive by. "2 posts and I'm gone" isn't something I'd call "sticking around"

Hydra009

Quote from: widdershins on August 29, 2016, 05:16:21 PMSo, it's a "collection of reasons"?  Not ONE of them is important enough to stand on its own?  You're telling me that there is not one single "good" reason to believe?

Pictured:  the sturdiness of faith

Baruch

It is not about what you think, what you say, or what you write.  It is about what you do (writing and speaking and thinking don't count).  Skip theology, skip scripture, skip community and please skip authority.

Are you aware of bad situations going on around you?

If you are aware of a bad situation going on around you, have you respectfully offered your services or resources to relieve that situation?

Good attitude can lead to good deeds, and good deeds can lead to good attitude.  But the deeds are key, without those, your attitude is worthless.  If you have no good deeds, and a bad attitude ... then to Hell with you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Dear Christians, have you ever thought about the Immaculate Conception, which implies that the first penis in Mary's vagina was her son's?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2016, 07:41:20 PM
Dear Christians, have you ever thought about the Immaculate Conception, which implies that the first penis in Mary's vagina was her son's?

Christianity and the Bible are just weird.  Perhaps it's all the weirdness that helps it become the cult it is.  Cults have to have weird stuff, because ordinary stuff is just no fun at all.  People like to define themselves by silly and unique things they believe, and Christianity serves it up on a platter.

"I believe it rained and flooded the whole Earth."

"Oh, you don't really believe that."

"Yes, I really do."

"Hmmm, that's very interesting."

"Yes it is.  I'm a very interesting person."

Blackleaf

Quote from: GTR-1 on August 29, 2016, 01:14:39 PM
PickelledEggs -- sure I would like to participate in discussions here ;)

Blackleaf  -- you are skeptical? I know that, perhaps, a bit too well. Other than that, thanks for the input!

widdershins -- there is not one single reason, it's a collection of reasons, that is why you never receive an answer to your question.

Yes, I am skeptical of your story. I was a Christian for most of my life, and spent many years defending my faith, coming up with answers that I thought made sense of everything. Then when I became a skeptic, I could tell that my mind became clearer, and I was able to see the obvious flaws in my logic and in the Christian faith in general. But you come here and claim that you had the reverse experience. You claim that you were raised an atheist, but when you looked into the Christian faith, you found answers that made it obviously true (to you).

No. That does not happen. Faith, which is belief in something you have no evidence of, is indefensible. People who convert to Christianity from atheism don't do so because Christians have all the answers. It's because it appeals to them emotionally. If the answers were so easy for you to find, then skeptics such as ourselves would have no trouble finding them. Unlike Christians, we are open to the possibility that we could be wrong, and the lack of evidence for the existence of any god is the reason we exist.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

1.a Why should we regard you als some authority figure? Spending a lot of time Reading a book and related texts about Said texts does not make you an expert. It does not Give you credit. It does not make you certified to explain anything. (Especially if the book/matter is bogus to begin with.)
1.b You 'studied' the Bible for four years, and now you have The audacity to dat you know answers to 'any and all' questions an atheïst or heathen may have regarding the subject? Isn't that extremely arrogant of you? What does that make you; god's infallible prophet?
2. Did you start studying the Bible unbiased? Or did you have the preconceived notion that it was a true and/or had intrinsic worth?
3. Did you ever have to put down the bible in disgust? I did when the only pious man in Sodom and Gomorra offerd his daughters up to be raped by a horde of assailants. And again when he had sex with them himself.

There may be other questions, but I refuse to give you any for you to speak for anyone but yourself. Als little respect as I may have for christianity; I respect that you don't speak for christians. All you have is your own interpretation of this mythology. You can't talk for anyone but yourself. So I won't give you Fodder for a website you plan to use as a representative of 'true christianity'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: GTR-1 on August 29, 2016, 11:59:09 AM
Heya. In the past, when I was an atheist, I had a whole bunch of questions for Christians. However, I found out that no Christian I knew had answers to these questions -- online, I was told that I needed to study the Bible for years to find answers to these questions. So I decided to do a hardcore study, lasted from 2011-2015. I would read thousands of technical papers, hear countless speeches and discuss with people continually, several days a week, often times sitting up until the morning when curiosity strikes me hard. I could write books now.

In conclusion, I found an answer to every question and more than I expected to find, so there was no other way to go than to convert. ...

Obviously there was something about Christianity that you found intriguing from the start. I can't imagine researching a topic several days a week for four years unless I found it extremely interesting. It sounds like you were more interested in Christianity as an atheist than many actual Christians.

SGOS

Quote from: GTR-1 on August 29, 2016, 11:59:09 AM
Heya. In the past, when I was an atheist, I had a whole bunch of questions for Christians. However, I found out that no Christian I knew had answers to these questions

This first sentence from your opening smells fishy.  My experience is that Christians have answers to everything, including those things they don't even understand.

doorknob

I agree that your story does indeed sound fishy but sure.

If you believe Christianity because of studying it for 4 years then how can you discount religions that you haven't studied at all?

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 30, 2016, 09:22:57 AM
This first sentence from your opening smells fishy.  My experience is that Christians have answers to everything, including those things they don't even understand.

ESPECIALLY those things they don't understand. The things they don't know bull dung about are the things they argue about the loudest.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

widdershins

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 29, 2016, 05:27:06 PM
Uhhh. Well so far, it is a drive by. "2 posts and I'm gone" isn't something I'd call "sticking around"
Yeah, that's the "circled back around" part.
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

Why does the Vatican have seventeen art galleries when people are going hungry?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
Why does the Vatican have seventeen art galleries when people are going hungry?

It's a miracle!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2016, 12:19:09 PM
It's a miracle!
Oddly enough, the Vatican cooperated in the filming of "The Shoes of the Fisherman". :duh:
PZ Myers