Cannabis As Safer Alternative To Opiates

Started by stromboli, August 27, 2016, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2016, 08:57:42 AM
[anecdote]I had about nine-ten inches of my boat stuck into my right calf back in '72. When they recovered me the first thing the corpsman did was to give me a joint. When we got back to base he gave me another one. When the chopper arrived they gave me a third taste of Thai and I got a fourth one when we got to "So Gone City".

Yeah, it's not bad for pain.

PBR? Sounds like one. Anyway I had a vet friend back in the day who suffered back spasms from wounds received in 'Nam. He used cannabis fairly regularly, even though he was a disabled vet, managed to work as a brick mason most days. That is a physically tasking job, so it worked for him.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 29, 2016, 09:14:02 AM
PBR? Sounds like one. Anyway I had a vet friend back in the day who suffered back spasms from wounds received in 'Nam. He used cannabis fairly regularly, even though he was a disabled vet, managed to work as a brick mason most days. That is a physically tasking job, so it worked for him.
Yeah, Brown Water Navy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Had 2 guys- a 2nd class Radioman and a 2nd class cook- that reupped for 2 years and volunteered for subs to get off of PBRs. The cook (first name Archibald-we called him Tiny- was my immediate superior. I know what they went through. Tiny wasn't so bad except he chain smoked. the Radioman- last name Noonan- was almost a basket case.

You have all my respect.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 30, 2016, 12:01:52 AM
Had 2 guys- a 2nd class Radioman and a 2nd class cook- that reupped for 2 years and volunteered for subs to get off of PBRs. The cook (first name Archibald-we called him Tiny- was my immediate superior. I know what they went through. Tiny wasn't so bad except he chain smoked. the Radioman- last name Noonan- was almost a basket case.

You have all my respect.
Being in combat in a hellish environment was a vast improvement over my homelife, to the point where I extended my tour twice.

And yeah, that second extension was a serious mistake. But shit happens, then you DIE.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Glad you came through it more or less whole. a lot of people didn't.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 30, 2016, 08:36:33 AM
Out of the original twenty guys assigned to my team fifteen were KIA. The other four suicided sometime after the war. Makes me a outlier I guess.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Noonan, the Radioman, said he was the helmsman on his boat. His last run saw fire from both sides of the river going out and coming back. When he got back everyone on the boat but him was mortally wounded or dead.

Tiny never talked about it. This was on the Marshall, my 2nd boat. I had already earned my Dolphins on the Washington and only had 1 patrol to requalify. Tiny was frankly lost at first, but I walked him through quals at the start so he got the idea. He qualified in one patrol, which is tough for the first time. We were together at the patrol end ceremony. He was very proud of his Dolphins. We got very drunk together the first day back.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 30, 2016, 09:54:40 AM
Noonan, the Radioman, said he was the helmsman on his boat. His last run saw fire from both sides of the river going out and coming back. When he got back everyone on the boat but him was mortally wounded or dead.

Tiny never talked about it. This was on the Marshall, my 2nd boat. I had already earned my Dolphins on the Washington and only had 1 patrol to requalify. Tiny was frankly lost at first, but I walked him through quals at the start so he got the idea. He qualified in one patrol, which is tough for the first time. We were together at the patrol end ceremony. He was very proud of his Dolphins. We got very drunk together the first day back.

I was taken in hand by a one-legged Marine who lived near me. His son and I were classmates. Later in life I called him "Gunny Myagi", but at the time I called him "SIR!" He taught me to shoot, after I earned the right to touch one of his guns, that is. He had a M2 .50 cal. Browning machine gun and let me fire it when I earned that privilege. So, when we formed our team I was the one with the most trigger time on a Ma Deuce. That's how I wound up in the mine detector position on my boat, up in the bow. The M2 can put 82 pound of lead a minute into the air, if somebody wanted to waste ammo and abuse the barrel. It can kill at four miles. (Obviously not an aimed shot, but when you lay down fire on an area the other guy doesn't want to be there.)

As for talking about the war, I realized I'd go crazy(er) if I didn't. I don't bring it up, but I don't dodge the topic. I did what I did at the time to keep my friends and myself alive.
PZ Myers

stromboli

I've had several 'Nam vet friends over the years. Very few talk about it at all. Never prodded them with questions. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 30, 2016, 10:41:48 AM
I've had several 'Nam vet friends over the years. Very few talk about it at all. Never prodded them with questions. 
I decided not to explode.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on August 30, 2016, 08:36:33 AM

My older cousin loved Vietnam so much, a Marine, that he volunteered for a second year in-country.  Never got a scratch, then died outside Camp Pendleton in a car crash.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

My apologies for derailing a perfectly good pot thread.
PZ Myers