When People Say "Rape Culture"...

Started by Shiranu, August 24, 2016, 09:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Shiranu on August 24, 2016, 09:32:03 PM
-Being a registered sex offender, like every other rapist...
-Not being given the privilege of playing on a college sports team because being an athlete trumps being a rapist...
-Not being allowed to have the "college experience" as his lawyer put it...
-Having to face his two year mandatory sentence, instead of telling rapists, "Meh, it's okay to rape women. You will just get a slap on the wrist and it might not even go on you permanent record if you act nice later."...

Basically I want him to be considered a rapist since he, well, raped two girls.

I agree. Plus who cares if he's an athlete, what good is he going to do for the world? Sports are a waste of time.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

AllPurposeAtheist

The conversation becomes absurd with the OP case. JUST from the buzzfeed article folks are fully prepared to have a young man who has admitted to his wrongdoing and two girls who don't apparently want to be involved in prosecuting him locked up in a prison for two years, put on a sex offender registry and while we're at it might as well have him castrated and his balls put on public display..
I guess people forget just how horrific time in prison can actually be for a young man or woman for that matter.
Part of the problem, and any woman who has ever prosecuted a rape case will know is once a woman decides to go ahead with taking a rapist to court she's going to be raped even worse by the legal system . Whether anyone likes it or not the rapists defense attorney is obligated to offer up the best defense possible and that almost always includes dragging the victim through all the mud necessary to get an acquittal. While most people are opposed to such court proceedings keep in mind that at any time anyone can be accused of just about any crime.  Once you come under scrutiny by the courts you want the best defense possible yourself so imagine that you've been accused of a rape that you didn't commit.. How would you want your attorney to conduct him or herself on your behalf?  You want your attorney to make your accusor out to be the worse person on the planet and if you don't you risk several years behind bars with a bunch of very unsavory people and a lifelong criminal record that can and probably will keep you from every being able to make a decent living for yourself.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 27, 2016, 10:44:48 AM
Oh lol I know. Just trying to explain it further.

It's not the physical rape itself but seeing it as a normal consequence and also as a male right under certain circumstances; in your words having the privilege of raping someone because they are males of certain status and community, people supporting them to do it. This the rape culture. I don't get how can we not see it as 'rape culture'. Most of these boys do not get any sentence or the punishment and they know they won't, because an overwhleming of these event don't even get heard.

How is this not a rape culture?

As long as men take any criticism as an offensive threat to their male hood; women raising voice and expressing anger about gender issues as some sort of attempt at castration and women getting organised to do something about it as an agenda against their well being, it won't be possible.
It can be called a 'rape culture'.  But I think that the average person sees 'rape' as a bad thing.  I don't think that the male privilege in sexual matters is seen as rape for a huge segment of our society--so, it's not 'rape' but simply something that is okay for a male to do.  That is worse than rape, for if it was always labeled as rape, then more would see that it is not acceptable; now that behavior is seen as okay.  When rape/male privilege is seen as rape then that will be a step forward.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

QuotePlus who cares if he's an athlete, what good is he going to do for the world? Sports are a waste of time.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

DeltaEpsilon

The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Baruch

Drunkenshoe, like some other women here ... and a few male fans ... are Amazon supporters.  I frankly don't care what Amazons and their supporters think, anymore than I care what a camel driver thinks.  Both are anachronistic as hell (violent matriarchy is Neolithic) not progressive.  Just because we gave up that for patriarchy, 5000 years ago, is no reason to think that bringing it back is progressive.  But people have short memories ;-)  Sacrificing a young male to the Mother Goddess, for fertility magic ... is stupid.  Damn cougars!  No human wants equality ... except the deluded and the liars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2016, 08:33:57 PM
Drunkenshoe, like some other women here ... and a few male fans ... are Amazon supporters.

Pffft. Amazons have no mercy, I have plenty for everyone.

QuoteI frankly don't care what Amazons and their supporters think, anymore than I care what a camel driver thinks.

See, you do have something in common. They do not care what you think either. :)

QuoteBoth are anachronistic as hell (violent matriarchy is Neolithic) not progressive.  Just because we gave up that for patriarchy, 5000 years ago, is no reason to think that bringing it back is progressive.

Those two sentences put together broke the anachronism lever. Gave up patriarchy 5000 thousand years ago? Which planet is that?

What's next? Atheism in 16th century France? ;) Thomas Moore is a humanist?

QuoteBut people have short memories ;-)  Sacrificing a young male to the Mother Goddess, for fertility magic ... is stupid.  Damn cougars!  No human wants equality ... except the deluded and the liars.

Male sacrificing goddess cult is more than 35 000 years old as we can track back. That's long enough to figure out what has been going on.

Something about matriarchal cultures people keep getting confused about. They are not 'matriarchal' cultures per se as in women holding the power. Gender norms are similar to what we have today. It's just life is so in sync with nature and harsh without high tech toys and science, there is no space or time for the bullshit we have today. No men power enough. Women are more free to do certain things contrary to common belief. Virginity or homosexuality is not that much of a problem. There are no devil, evil or good, but bad winter, famine and war. This is the same reason why tens of thousands of years later, even going full patriarchal, Ancient Greeks were scared of Ares, not Hades. Death and other side don't mean much. Life is about today, because life is very short. Supernatural concepts have real life functionality in pagan cultures. There is no fictional part of the life we have now. (Money, stock exchange, banks, laws, media...etc.)

Abrahamic religions have a short memory, imposing systematic amnesia on to people. All that brain damage caused by indoctrination and fear of the supernatural I suppose.

But everyone wants equality. They just want to eat their cake too.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm going to return to the point I made about how rape is or isn't prosecuted in this and other countries. Most women who are raped and decide to prosecute the perpetrator(s) are almost always going to have their lives destroyed by the legal system from the police to the hospital to the courts very few women will decide it's worth all the shit they're going to have to go through. Defense attorneys are going to bring into question every facet of her life,  why she was dressed the way she was dressed, why she was drunk with the young man in the first place, how many sex partners she's had in the past and on and on. By the time it's all over her entire life is going to be put on the table and every decision she's ever made will be questioned and by the end of the whole ordeal she's going to be extremely lucky if he's ever convicted.  Chances are he won't be convicted and even if he is she's still going to get re-raped by the legal system and before you say how bad the legal system is for the victims of rape think of how bad it can be for someone wrongly convicted. There are two distinctly horrific possible outcomes of a rape trial and none of them are good. The odds of getting a successful conviction of someone who is actually guilty of rape are not good and the woman (or man) bringing the charges stand the prospect of having their reputation completely ruined.
It is for these reasons that we have the so called rape culture.  It's extremely difficult to prosecute and there are no winners in rape trials and rapists are perfectly aware of how it works in the courts especially if they've been through it before..      You can focus on athletes all you like and pretend that anyone thinks athletes should be given a free pass to rape at will, but the truth is that convictions are rare regardless of someone's station in life. 
To top it all off we have a tabloid type of media that does a terrible job of presenting the facts of cases like these instead they almost always make inuindo with titilating headlines that leaves the public not knowing what to think. If our courts worked the way the media works all we would have is people railroaded in kangaroo courts through inuindo and half truths where guilt isn't determined by the facts, but solely by emotional responses and whatever bullshit any half baked writer can come up with. Bad guy rapes perfectly innocent and pure as the driven snow girl next door.. Well he MUST BE GUILTY because the author implied so.. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on August 27, 2016, 11:14:21 AM
What is an "eye bang"?

My first guess was a facial you didn't see cumming.
Though given the context, I'm guessing it's something else.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 28, 2016, 07:07:12 AM
My first guess was a facial you didn't see cumming.
Though given the context, I'm guessing it's something else.
Eye bang is a made up term to make people believe someone is guilty of bad thoughts.. It's the thought police hard at work taking the day off..

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 28, 2016, 07:02:11 AM
I'm going to return to the point I made about how rape is or isn't prosecuted in this and other countries. Most women who are raped and decide to prosecute the perpetrator(s) are almost always going to have their lives destroyed by the legal system from the police to the hospital to the courts very few women will decide it's worth all the shit they're going to have to go through. Defense attorneys are going to bring into question every facet of her life,  why she was dressed the way she was dressed, why she was drunk with the young man in the first place, how many sex partners she's had in the past and on and on. By the time it's all over her entire life is going to be put on the table and every decision she's ever made will be questioned and by the end of the whole ordeal she's going to be extremely lucky if he's ever convicted.  Chances are he won't be convicted and even if he is she's still going to get re-raped by the legal system and before you say how bad the legal system is for the victims of rape think of how bad it can be for someone wrongly convicted. There are two distinctly horrific possible outcomes of a rape trial and none of them are good. The odds of getting a successful conviction of someone who is actually guilty of rape are not good and the woman (or man) bringing the charges stand the prospect of having their reputation completely ruined.
It is for these reasons that we have the so called rape culture.  It's extremely difficult to prosecute and there are no winners in rape trials and rapists are perfectly aware of how it works in the courts especially if they've been through it before..      You can focus on athletes all you like and pretend that anyone thinks athletes should be given a free pass to rape at will, but the truth is that convictions are rare regardless of someone's station in life. 
To top it all off we have a tabloid type of media that does a terrible job of presenting the facts of cases like these instead they almost always make inuindo with titilating headlines that leaves the public not knowing what to think. If our courts worked the way the media works all we would have is people railroaded in kangaroo courts through inuindo and half truths where guilt isn't determined by the facts, but solely by emotional responses and whatever bullshit any half baked writer can come up with. Bad guy rapes perfectly innocent and pure as the driven snow girl next door.. Well he MUST BE GUILTY because the author implied so..

I agree with you. But the point is there is an obvious difference between athlete rape cases and other ones. While what you are saying goes for all rape cases with athletes different patterns go on.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

I don't attach rape culture to this so much as privilege granted on the basis of athletics/white privilege/woman given dubious worth for "allowing" rape and so on. I attach rape culture to religion because it is written into the scripture. There may well be a culture existing among preppie high school or college types, wouldn't surprise me, but to me it comes out as victimization of women and social privilege more than rape culture.

drunkenshoe

Rape culture is a result of those things you -APA and stromboli- are describing. It is not something seperate that has a special effect on the physical act or the crime itself. But what happens after the act is commited. The collective reaction.

People knowing that rape is wrong; illegal or what they say when they are asked about rape has nothing to do with this. It's about how people react when it actually happens in their community. This is the truth about how a society sees rape.

If people are trying to stop rapists being prosecuted, threatening vcitims in full cooperation so they wouldn't press charges while there is overwhelming evidence, if nobody in a community takes the responsibility of helping a 15 year old girl when the video of her being raped goes viral in a community that is RAPE CULTURE.

There is no beating around the bush. This is not about religious scripture or this or that. The culture says 'yes, you can rape that girl and get away with, it that is your right, because of your status'.

Stop dumping down everything on religion.

Stanford University is not a southern catholic shit hole. Neither Harvard, nor Darmouth both are in the highest college rape report list.

A man who was convicted of rape admitting he pretended to help the unconscious victim, who was caught in the act and chased by two other students got 6 monts of sentence.

How is this about religous script?

Baruch

Stromboli mentioned in-click culture.  That young man convicted of similar behavior, under a dare/initiation ... and a preppy HS ... is an example of that.  If you start out that way, you can end up like George W.

Money is America's one true religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

OK. I am not being stubborn. If religious scripture has a direct role in rape cases or how society sees rape, if this is related to the social privilage of men and vicitmisation of women, if even the law cannot fight with this in most obvious situations why do you guys keep bashing SJWs or feminists groups in general then?

How is this picture different than any random shit hole in the ME. Other than scenery and the costumes and the exploding bombs and bloodshed, culture looks the same? I remember saying something like that and the reactions I got was pretty agressive. Make up your mind, seriously this is very confusing.

*The male members over the age of 50 expressed similar opinions about these rape cases that the issue is about social privilege of the male and religion, while the young males cannot stand to hear anything about male privilege in any context and react emotionally anything about het males oppressing other groups and genders.

Guys, seriously. If that is the case; if you see rape as a direct outcome of religion in your country, why are we talking about a secular US in the first place? Then SJW feminist groups in the US seem to be on the right track. Please think about it for a moment. You get pissed off and go crazy about problems you don't even have when you see a 2 mins SJW video, how would you feel if the victims in these cases were het men?