News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The hard liquor thread

Started by Mr.Obvious, August 24, 2016, 03:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on January 07, 2017, 10:22:22 PM
I guess I can see that.  I'll stick to Tullamore Dew, personally.
As long as you don't splash any into my Southern Comfort, I'm good with that. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 07, 2017, 10:48:17 PM
As long as you don't splash any into my Southern Comfort, I'm good with that. :)
I think we have come to an equitable solution.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Criminy... d'you have any idea how much I have drunk tonight, and I don't even have a mild buzz going?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on January 08, 2017, 10:56:51 PM
Criminy... d'you have any idea how much I have drunk tonight, and I don't even have a mild buzz going?
Definitely a sign of something or other. Back when I was on active duty I'd take the top off a new bottle and throw it away, "Won't need that any more."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Bluewind

When it comes to hard liquor, I usually go for a shot or two of vodka like sour apple or something minty (red hots, peppermint,...). I'm more interested in effect than taste. Tmi, but use it like a medicine to help during my time of the month and it has the bonus of no after effects. I can have enough to get pretty damn drunk, but afterward feel normal while a lot of other drinks tend to leave me cranky afterwards (I'm a goofy drunk).
There is beauty in a finite life.

trdsf

Am at a relaxacon -- essentially, a convention for SF fans with minimal programming and gallons of alcohol.  I have been to two panels today, one on home brewing and one on mixology.  I have been nipping away at a bottle of barreling strength rye most of the day.

Currently on my hotel room table is a bottle of 'prison hooch', merrily fermenting away (that was the hands-on part of the home brewing panel - basically one cup of sugar in a 750ml bottle, add water to below the neck and shake until it's all dissolved in, then one teaspoon of regular bread yeast).  He had a batch already set up and it was both smoother and tastier than anything made like that should be.  And it smells like bread.  Although he's worked in corrections, he did not have us make it with stale bread and other makeshift ingredients.  :)

Anyway, in about a week or so it'll be done fermenting and I'll report back on how it is.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on January 14, 2017, 09:01:17 PM
Am at a relaxacon -- essentially, a convention for SF fans with minimal programming and gallons of alcohol.  I have been to two panels today, one on home brewing and one on mixology.  I have been nipping away at a bottle of barreling strength rye most of the day.

Currently on my hotel room table is a bottle of 'prison hooch', merrily fermenting away (that was the hands-on part of the home brewing panel - basically one cup of sugar in a 750ml bottle, add water to below the neck and shake until it's all dissolved in, then one teaspoon of regular bread yeast).  He had a batch already set up and it was both smoother and tastier than anything made like that should be.  And it smells like bread.  Although he's worked in corrections, he did not have us make it with stale bread and other makeshift ingredients.  :)

Anyway, in about a week or so it'll be done fermenting and I'll report back on how it is.
While typing from a Braille keyboard?
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 15, 2017, 08:17:36 AM
While typing from a Braille keyboard?
Who said that?  And what happened to the lights?

Atheon

Quote from: trdsf on January 07, 2017, 10:22:22 PM
I'll stick to Tullamore Dew, personally.
The best Irish whiskey for Irish coffee. It's the whiskey used by the Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

trdsf

Quote from: Atheon on January 18, 2017, 10:55:55 AM
The best Irish whiskey for Irish coffee. It's the whiskey used by the Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco.
No argument here.  Tully has long been a favorite of mine.  If you can get your hands on a bottle of their single malt, that is a favor your tastebuds will never finish thanking you for.

Cavebear

My favorite drinks lately are Gin Bucks (Gin, lemon juice and gingerale), and a no name drink (Southern Comfort and Peach brandy with gingerale.  On ice and with a straw.  I'm a heathen in regards to proper drinking.  For wine, I like Twisted Zin at $10 for a 1.5 bottle.  Goes with everything *I* eat.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

I got turned on to Monkey Rum at DeConPression last month.  I will be ordering a couple bottles -- one of the spiced, and one of the toasted coconut (the one I got to try that blew my mind).

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 15, 2017, 01:25:22 PM
I got turned on to Monkey Rum at DeConPression last month.  I will be ordering a couple bottles -- one of the spiced, and one of the toasted coconut (the one I got to try that blew my mind).

Rum has possibilities.  Not my stuff, but at least it isn't drink-it-for-the alcohol vodka. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Let's wake this thread up a little.  Okay, a lot.  I just took delivery of two bottles of Empress 1908 gin.  It is that rich a blue straight out of the bottle, and the only thing I added to it was regular tonic water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJioPHzh3-Y

I love when my mixology comes with a side of mad science.  :D