News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Proxima b

Started by PopeyesPappy, August 24, 2016, 02:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Then comes the never observed but hypothetical black dwarf.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 25, 2016, 08:08:48 PM

I met one of those once........(da bum tish)

SGOS

I confused red dwarf with red giant.  When I wrote that post, I kept asking myself if red dwarf was what I was thinking of, and I couldn't remember red giant.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on August 25, 2016, 08:47:57 PM
I confused red dwarf with red giant.  When I wrote that post, I kept asking myself if red dwarf was what I was thinking of, and I couldn't remember red giant.

Never met a red giant, but I've met a really short Navajo.  :2thumbs:

trdsf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 24, 2016, 02:10:25 PM
A newly released study has concluded that Proxima Centauri, the closest star to us other than Sol, has a rocky planet in the Goldilocks zone. The planet called Proxima b is only about 1,000 years away using currently available technology.

Who's up for the trip?
I'll settle for the Breakthrough Starshot mission.  Best-case scenario is that it launches in 20 years and takes 20 years to get there -- and living another 40 years is not impossible.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on August 25, 2016, 10:21:26 PMI'll settle for the Breakthrough Starshot mission.  Best-case scenario is that it launches in 20 years and takes 20 years to get there -- and living another 40 years is not impossible.
You'd have to wait another 4 years for them to let us know that they successfully arrived, so it'd be more like 44 years.  Doable for the young and healthy among us.

But what might not be quite as doable is inventing/constructing propulsion systems capable of safely attaining 15%-20% the speed of light within 20 years.  New Horizons hit 58,536 km/h, but it would've taken 78,000 years to reach Alpha Centauri.  The Helios probes hold the record at 252,792 km/h.  Cranking that up to 216,000,000 km/h (20% the speed of light) might take some doing and perhaps more time than the project bargained for.

PopeyesPappy

What I want to know about Starshot is how they plan to send data back. A centimeter sized probe is going to have a hard time carrying a radio or laser that could transmit any data back to us.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 26, 2016, 07:27:04 AM
What I want to know about Starshot is how they plan to send data back. A centimeter sized probe is going to have a hard time carrying a radio or laser that could transmit any data back to us.
Hush, they're on a roll.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 26, 2016, 02:32:41 AM
You'd have to wait another 4 years for them to let us know that they successfully arrived, so it'd be more like 44 years.  Doable for the young and healthy among us.

But what might not be quite as doable is inventing/constructing propulsion systems capable of safely attaining 15%-20% the speed of light within 20 years.  New Horizons hit 58,536 km/h, but it would've taken 78,000 years to reach Alpha Centauri.  The Helios probes hold the record at 252,792 km/h.  Cranking that up to 216,000,000 km/h (20% the speed of light) might take some doing and perhaps more time than the project bargained for.

Oh, yeah.  It's profoundly unlikely to happen in my lifetime.  But there is that teeny chance, and I will be optimistic without having any actual expectation of it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Luckily, we kaiju never die, so I'd have a shot.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 25, 2016, 05:35:04 PM
No, the future of our sun is to become a red giant - quite different from a red dwarf.
Ah, yes.  Dwarf---giant--easy to miss the difference. :)) In any case, it will fun to watch.  Now if I can only figure out how to live another 3.9 billion years............
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 26, 2016, 02:32:41 AM
You'd have to wait another 4 years for them to let us know that they successfully arrived, so it'd be more like 44 years.

What?? And miss the rapture?

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 25, 2016, 08:08:48 PM

He was a character on the TV show, Red Dwarf.  He was a highly evolved and hep cat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

If they mention beach front property in regards to Proxima, then I'll get interested.