News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Notthesun

There are no main characters in Game of Thrones. That's what makes this series so amazing. Anyone can die!!!!
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Notthesun"There are no main characters in Game of Thrones. That's what makes this series so amazing.
I dunno about that.  It's fairly obvious who the focal characters are, there's just a lot of them and they get shuffled around a lot, with characters dying off and other characters gaining prominence.  There are also supporting characters who you know will never achieve much prominence - various servants and squires and working ladies and peasants.

I do appreciate that anyone can die, but he makes Hamlet look like Spongebob Squarepants.  There are probably more character deaths in Game of Thrones than Walking Dead.  And the real twist of the knife is that it happens to major characters you've grown attached to and you usually don't see it coming.  It doesn't follow the pattern that you'd expect.  The cop two days from retirement, the wizened mentor, the Red Shirt, the hero's bff comrade, etc - those I can see.  Nope, instead it's characters who you'd expect to be firmly under the protection of character shields who bite it.  And boy do they bite it...

Notthesun

See, I still stick to my point. I do not think there are any real main characters in Game of Thrones. Sure, there are the ones he gives chapter perspectives to, but any person is just as much capable of dying as the other. I suppose I just like to think GRRM broke free from the whole idea.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Aroura33

So the season finale was not a big WOW like episode 9, but still had some great moments.  To recap some of the things that stood out for me:

[spoil:1nc0xf4x]Arya gets to see her brother's body with his wolfs head sewn on.  That was gruesome.  I was actually cheering for her when she got off the horse at the Frey camp, acting all urchin cute, and then went all stabity on that guy.  Good thing the Hound was there to take care of the rest of them, I think she didn't care if she died.  It was odd how funny the rest of that scene was. The Hound: "Where did you get that knife?"  Arya: "From you." Then hands it back to him without batting an eyelash, while he admonishes her to warn him next time she wants to kill someone.  Somehow, those two are both macabre and humorous.

John Snow proves that he does, indeed, know nothing with his little speech to Ygritte, right before she fills him full of arrows.  Good thing his dad was Borimir, or surely 3 arrows would have killed him.  :rolleyes:
Also, nice that Ygritte gets to fulfill the stereotypical redhead AND woman scorned...soooo predictable.  Ah well.

I don't care what the rest of you say, I like Sam.  I liked the scene with Maester Aemon as well.

So it turns out the Onion Knight (Sir Davos) is the most moral man in all of Westeros.  I swear, Stannis is stupid and easily led, not great traits for a king.  I'd totally hate his storyline if it weren't for Davos, who I just love to death.  Plus, he sure did learn to read fast!  Why is there a G in night?  Good question.  Stupid English spelling.  
It was damn funny when the Red Witch saved Davos.  I thought his eyes might fall out of his head.  That woman has some strange agenda.  Gald some stories will be converging at the wall soon (I hope).

Loved the story Bran tells about the Rat Cook, and how killing someone with guest rights beneath your own roof is the most reprehensible crime in the eyes of the gods.  Murder?  Naw, that's ok if someone did you wrong. Canabalism?  Not a biggie. But murdering someone after feeding them in your own house?  Then you're doomed for eternity.
Gives me hope that Walder Frey will get his eventually.

Did Cerci look disgusted when she saw Jaimies hand, or was that just me?

Theon's sister apparently didn't get the total douche gene from her dad.  Yay!  But it may be too late for poor, dickless Theon (aka Reek).

Tyrion continues to be shit on by his father, who is smart but also a GIANT asshole (although seeing him send Jeoffry off to bed for showing temper was pure awesome).
But really, how much contempt does he have for Tyrion?  You should be thankful I didn't drown you in the sea when you were born, you malformed little troll.  Love you too dad!  But Tyrions whore...whatever the hell her name is, geeze, Dumb bitch.  You are a "problem" and even you admit you know that.  There are only two ways people in Westeros know how to deal with problems like you, buy them off, or kill them.  Turned down a BAG OF DIOMONDS, continues to act like a prissy, entitled bitch.  I think I can predict her future!
What does Tyrion see in her anyway?

I never know what to say about Sansa's story line every week except...poor Sansa.  Do you think the little monster king got to tell her about her mom and bro?

Kind of didn't like the whole Dany, slaves calling her "mother" ending.  If it was suppsed to be heartwarming, it missed the mark with me, just made me feel like Dany is letting it all go to her head, kind of sick.  First time in a while I'm not liking Dany's storyline.

And Brienne is still alive.  And Gendry too.  So yay for that![/spoil:1nc0xf4x]
And now we get to wait a year to find out what happens next!  #-o
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Notthesun

They only called her mother because she is the mother of dragons. Also, remember she is a young girl. 16-18, I believe.

Jason78

Quote from: "Aroura33"And now we get to wait a year to find out what happens next!

Yay!   We get to wait a whole year!

Cryogenic freezing can't come fast enough.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

missingnocchi

Seems like the timeline is being changed quite a bit for the show. You guys are referencing events from 3 different books in one episode. I think that's good though, a lot of the stuff in books 4 & 5 is boring, so it would be terrible to have to deal with it all at once. I heard George RR Martin is trying to fix some continuity/story issues from the books in the show, so I trust that the changes are for the better.
What's a "Leppo?"

Agramon

My favorite scene:

[spoil:2uwj41ib]
I can't help but love how sadistic Ramsay is. My second favorite scene was Hodor hearing his echo.[/spoil:2uwj41ib]
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Hydra009

S3E10:

[spoil:2wirna7f]I'm sorta disappointed that there wasn't anything really notable happen in this season's finale.  Not like we need anything after the Red Wedding, but still, season 2 had Dany's final showdown with  Pyat Pree and the undead army moving in while season 1 had.  All three seasons had MAJOR shockers in episode 9 (public execution, a major battle, and a bloodbath of a wedding, respectively), with still some craziness to spare for the finale except season 3.  :(

I disliked Arya's petty revenge.  It accomplished nothing, and probably endangered the both of them.  Way to go.

Jon got shot so that's good news.  Ygritte's definitely getting some mileage out of those crazy pills.

Crapsack meets Ravenboy, forming a critical mass of uselessness and boredom.   :-|

Tywinn puts the King to bed.  Pure awesomesauce.  But seriously, Tyrion had better watch his mouth.  Last time he was wasted out of his mind, but doing it sober (well, as sober as Tyrion gets) in front of the Small Council?  He's lucky he only got off with a warning this time.  And Pycelle totally dropped that note intentionally.  Such a troll.

Jaimie's back.  Finally.  There's been a dearth of actual (non-painful) sex scenes lately that sorely need to be made up for.

Plenty of Team Stannis in this one.  Mostly just reiterating that they really need Gendry as a sacrifice.  Thanks for the newsflash.  And Seaworth springs him (surprise surprise) and escapes death only because 1) he's great at dealing with mailbox spam 2) Melisandra sees his future and is convinced they need him.  To what?  Marshal allies?  Been there, done that, still have the 3rd degree burns.  Team Stannis is apparently switching gears from the civil war (which they've all but lost) to the zombie apocalypse.  Good for them, but Melisandra aside, they don't have jack all to fight them with.  So good luck there.  And good luck in the civil war.  The Lannisters defeated their only real opposition - the Starks - and are pretty much impossible to unseat now.   :(

Dany is really starting to annoy me.  Her plot is just sooo cheerful and successful compared to everything else going on.  Can't wait for her to crash back down to cold reality.[/spoil:2wirna7f]

Hydra009

[spoil:shwhgh9y]
Quote from: "Aroura33"So it turns out the Onion Knight (Sir Davos) is the most moral man in all of Westeros.  I swear, Stannis is stupid and easily led, not great traits for a king.
Hey!  He's just trying to fulfill his destiny, claiming a throne that does actually belong to him and using whatever's available at hand to make it happen.  Sure, he gets pushed around by the Red Lady, but she apparently has spiritual intel that no one else is privy to, so it makes sense that's he's pretty trusting with her.  All in all, he's probably the best out of all the claimants to the throne besides Dany.

QuoteWhy is there a G in night?  Good question.  Stupid English spelling.
Seriously.  I still don't even know how to spell gra/ey.  And is it fat chance or slim chance?  And who the hell decided that Bill is short for William?  And don't even get me started on possessives for words ending in a s.

QuoteLoved the story Bran tells about the Rat Cook, and how killing someone with guest rights beneath your own roof is the most reprehensible crime in the eyes of the gods.  Murder?  Naw, that's ok if someone did you wrong. Canabalism?  Not a biggie. But murdering someone after feeding them in your own house?  Then your doomed for eternity.
That one actually makes sense.  It's a biggie back in ancient times, story of Lot and all.

QuoteGives me hope that Walder Frey will get his eventually.
By the looks of things, Lord Bolton is probably going to be the one dishing it out, seeing as he's going to be settling in the area and Frey might prove to be a threat in the future.

QuoteTheon's sister apparently didn't get the total douche gene from her dad.  Yay!  But it may be too late for poor, dickless Theon (aka Reek).
Just a tad late for a rescue.  At this stage, Lord Greyjoy is probably doing his son a favor.

QuoteTyrions whore...whatever the hell her name is, geeze, Dumb bitch.  You are a "problem" and even you admit you know that.  There are only two ways people in Westeros know how to deal with problems like you, buy them off, or kill them.  Turned down a BAG OF DIOMONDS, continues to act like a prissy, entitled bitch.  I think I can predict her future!
What does Tyrion see in her anyway?
Yep.  She's a goner.  She'll probably end up getting captured by Tywinn or Cerci or Littlefinger or (gods help her) Joffrey, and endangering both her life and Tyrion's life.

I don't really see the point in having her in King's Landing undercover if all she's going to do anymore is be jealous of Sansa, of all people.  GTFO already.

QuoteKind of didn't like the whole Dany, slaves calling her "mother" ending.  If it was supposed to be heartwarming, it missed the mark with me, just made me feel like Dany is letting it all go to her head, kind of sick.  First time in a while I'm not liking Dany's storyline.
Same.  She never even lifted a finger the entire time in Yunkai (the Westeroes equivalent of France, apparently), and come to think of it, her conquest of Astapor (the Westeroes equivalent of Austria) was pretty damn easy, too.  "Here's my whole army for your dragon, which I will leash just like a dog and personally try to tame.  I sure hope it doesn't burn my face off while you steal my army and burn my whole city to the ground."  Wah waah.[/spoil:shwhgh9y]

WitchSabrina

You guys know I'm reading these and completely screwing myself up in the process - right?

cannot watch Game of Thrones............. must wait for release of videos.........  waaaaaaaaaa
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Hydra009

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"You guys know I'm reading these and completely screwing myself up in the process - right?

Seriously, stay away from this thread if you're not all caught up on the TV show.  That's what I do when a new episode airs and I haven't seen it yet.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"You guys know I'm reading these and completely screwing myself up in the process - right?

Seriously, stay away from this thread if you're not all caught up on the TV show.  That's what I do when a new episode airs and I haven't seen it yet.

I know -I know you're right.
*hangs head in shame*
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Aroura33

Honestly, we ARE spoiling just about everything we say in this thread, too!  [-X

I think season one was pretty close to the book, but since then they have started to pull things from all the books to make the TV story easier to follow.  Since parts of books 3 and 4 AND 5 happen at the same time (which was confusing enough while reading it), it makes perfect sense for the TV writers not to strictly follow the books, but instead create a more streamlined timeline and follow it.  I do not envy them their task.  Even I get confused on who did what to whom for how many cookies, and trying to sort it all out so that a TV audience can follow along and actually CARE about it all must be hard.  Some people's stories have already suffered a LOT.  There are characters in the TV show who are extreeeeemely boring to watch, but who, in the books, are some of my favorite characters.  Jon Snow (and hell, the whole nights watch, really) is the best example of this.  His story is really interesting and intriguing in the books, but a downright snoozefest in the TV show.
Dany gets the opposite problem.  She's also wonderful in the books, but on TV she's raised to almost "The only storyline anyone cares about" status.

I like that the TV show puts faces to the characters for me, but honestly, I recommend any one watching the show to take the time between now and next season and read the books!  The characters are sooo much more believable, so much richer, and their motives make a lot more sense when you get to read the thought processes going on, and all the other details.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy