News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Well the Last season was rushed, and not top tier game of thrones but IMHO still better than most things I watch on TV otherwise. That said, while I don't mind where the characters end up at the end of the finale, the execution of that episode might indeed make it the worst, or least good, episode of Got.

Book readers though
[spoiler]Do any of you subscribe to the weir wood net being an evil entity aiming to rule the world? I've always found it an interesting idea, but not one I fully subscribed to. And with bran as the king of the six kingdoms... It could set up for a rather darker ending than what we think we see, in the books. He would be their avatar on earth, after all. [/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 27, 2019, 04:52:30 PM
Well the Last season was rushed, and not top tier game of thrones but IMHO still better than most things I watch on TV otherwise.
Agreed.  Much better than The Walking Dead or Vikings.  But GoT has a hell of a budget, so I expect a hell of an episode to match.  And in every possible way but writing, GoT is unrivaled.  It sucks to have all that hard work sullied by a single bad element.

QuoteThat said, while I don't mind where the characters end up at the end of the finale, the execution of that episode might indeed make it the worst, or least good, episode of Got.
Yeah, which is a shame because finales are where a show should go all out!  Suffice it to say that I expected a lot more than I GoT.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 27, 2019, 04:52:30 PMBook readers though
[spoiler]Do any of you subscribe to the weir wood net being an evil entity aiming to rule the world? I've always found it an interesting idea, but not one I fully subscribed to. And with bran as the king of the six kingdoms... It could set up for a rather darker ending than what we think we see, in the books. He would be their avatar on earth, after all. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Yes, Absolutely.

If you notice, Bran (along with Sam, but he urged on Sam) was the one to reveal Jon's true heritage.  The effect of this reveal didn't do much of anything except destabilize Dany, eventually leading to her death and Jon's exile.  The two strongest contenders for the crown, taken out with a whisper.  Very convenient for Bran, who essentially just had to inception Tyrion (like my wheelchair?  I got the idea from an old Targarean ruler *wink wink*) and beat out Edmure Tully and bam, everything's coming up Bran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvWIzIUo51w

The Kingdom is in shambles, though.  North gone, Wall shattered (now that's a lot of damage!), Ironborn who may or may not start reaving again, Riverlands despoiled, Reach bloodied, Crownlands thoroughly charred - but Dorne, the Vale, and the Stormlands are pretty much intant.  Bran the Broken, ruler of a broken kingdom.  The smallfolk at least would certainly see it that way.  There aren't all that many nobles left to complain.  Expect some very pragmatic weddings in the near future.  Jamie may have been the Kingslayer, but Robin Arryn is certainly going to be the ladyslayer.[/spoiler]

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 27, 2019, 08:15:57 PM
[spoiler]Yes, Absolutely.

If you notice, Bran (along with Sam, but he urged on Sam) was the one to reveal Jon's true heritage.  The effect of this reveal didn't do much of anything except destabilize Dany, eventually leading to her death and Jon's exile.  The two strongest contenders for the crown, taken out with a whisper.  Very convenient for Bran, who essentially just had to inception Tyrion (like my wheelchair?  I got the idea from an old Targarean ruler *wink wink*) and beat out Edmure Tully and bam, everything's coming up Bran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvWIzIUo51w

The Kingdom is in shambles, though.  North gone, Wall shattered (now that's a lot of damage!), Ironborn who may or may not start reaving again, Riverlands despoiled, Reach bloodied, Crownlands thoroughly charred - but Dorne, the Vale, and the Stormlands are pretty much intant.  Bran the Broken, ruler of a broken kingdom.  The smallfolk at least would certainly see it that way.  There aren't all that many nobles left to complain.  Expect some very pragmatic weddings in the near future.  Jamie may have been the Kingslayer, but Robin Arryn is certainly going to be the ladyslayer.[/spoiler]

Of course the biggest problem with this theory is that there is nothing you could say to actually disprove it, it's a bit of an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Not unlikely, I agree,. But still

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 28, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
Of course the biggest problem with this theory is that there is nothing you could say to actually disprove it, it's a bit of an unfalsifiable hypothesis.
New book material will likely clarify the Children of the Forest's true intentions.  So we'll know then.

But GRRM is known to play with tropes - so it'd be odd for this nature-revering forest race that was almost wiped out by humanity to super altrustically lend humanity a helping hand in their time of need.  What's in it for them?  Do they help purely out of the kindness in their hearts?  (Does anyone?)

Besides, what little we do know doesn't bode well for humanity.  According to the terms of the truce, the Children get the forest and humanity gets everything else.  And we know of an old castle called Deepwood Motte.  Unless that's a metaphorical name, that's a pretty clear indication that humanity broke the truce.  There are other indicators, too, but I'll go into that later.

Let's just say that I expect a reveal at the Three-Eyed Raven's tree virtually identical to the skeleton piles in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 28, 2019, 06:12:29 PM
New book material will likely clarify the Children of the Forest's true intentions.  So we'll know then.

But GRRM is known to play with tropes - so it'd be odd for this nature-revering forest race that was almost wiped out by humanity to super altrustically lend humanity a helping hand in their time of need.  What's in it for them?  Do they help purely out of the kindness in their hearts?  (Does anyone?)

Besides, what little we do know doesn't bode well for humanity.  According to the terms of the truce, the Children get the forest and humanity gets everything else.  And we know of an old castle called Deepwood Motte.  Unless that's a metaphorical name, that's a pretty clear indication that humanity broke the truce.  There are other indicators, too, but I'll go into that later.

Let's just say that I expect a reveal at the Three-Eyed Raven's tree virtually identical to the skeleton piles in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

No no, don't get me wrong. I'm well versed in the theory. And weather or not it's the case, I think grr Martin definitely put enough allusions in there to at least keep us wondering and guessing. But I wouldn't be surprised if he'll always keeps it ambiguous. Even when the story in the books is finished.
The problem I'm alluding to is that it could be that the threes are just a force of nature without purpose or intent, just with rules to tap into their magic. And if that were the case, the world would not necessarily be different than if their effects did have purpose behind them. One might say they made Howland Reid go to the festival so that shit would go down, for example, but if the influence had been different then we would never have known. Or mayhap he would have gone somewhere else and we would take that as a sign that the trees guided him there. The fact that he did go to the festival  becomes proof to us, but maybe it is only proof because it has significance and meaning to us.
Take the goldilocks argument as an analogy. The universe, our solar system, our planet, our sun, the other planet's around us... They all had to be 'just right' for us to come into existence. While none of us can deny that the forces and nature did turn out in a way tj'hat we came to be, that is however not proof tj'hat, as some would claim, there is intent behind those forces.
If you assume there is an all-knowing and immensely powerful entity controlling everything (like god or the trees) everything that is, regardless of what it is, becomes proof of that assertion.
Then again: I agree. It is not unlikely and season 8 has further won me to the theory of the weirwood net's sinister nature. Or at least the three Eyed raven (not bran) long con.

Hydra009

GRRM has a novella called A Song For Lya where aliens go into some sort of hivemind at the end of their lives, much like the weirwood network.  A human telepath joins the hive mind, and then starts calling to other people.  Who's calling?  Impossible to say.  Are their Intentions pure?  Also impossible to determine.

We're in a similar situation with the children of the forest in asoiaf.  But suffice it to say that acquiring a human who can control people would be a big win for them.  And if that human can see what the weirwoods see, then there are a great deal of places and times he could influence.  That'd be a hell of a superweapon.

Hydra009

Hydra009

Why Game of Thrones declined, take two:

A big part of it might be D&D getting major plot points from GRRM and being somewhat at a loss as to how exactly to get these characters there (which would explain the season 7 jetpacks, the infamous wight hunt, etc).  And lacking pivotal book-only characters (the Mummer's dragon) can explain some illogical character motivations.

And according to Scientific American, the show shifted focus from characters acting within the constraints of societal institutions and norms (sociology) to characters acting out of their own impulses (psychology)

QuoteIn sociological storytelling, the characters have personal stories and agency, of course, but those are also greatly shaped by institutions and events around them. The incentives for characters’ behavior come noticeably from these external forces, too, and even strongly influence their inner life.

QuoteThat tension between internal stories and desires, psychology and external pressures, institutions, norms and events was exactly what Game of Thrones showed us for many of its characters, creating rich tapestries of psychology but also behavior that was neither saintly nor fully evil at any one point.

Suffice it to say that in previous seasons, you cared about religion and the Iron Bank and feudal succession and the stigmas associated with being a dwarf or a bastard or a cripple.  In this final season, none of that matters one iota.  All that matters is the whims of one character or another.  A thousand shows already do that, and much better.

And you know what else you're doing?  Watching dead air.

Because D&D love them some sullen silence.  Dialogue clearly isn't their strong suit and they likely know this.  So Emilla Clarke's eyebrows are gonna have to tell the story instead.

Hydra009

Only like 4 of these were ever revealed and they all have rather drab, unsatisfying answers.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 29, 2019, 11:56:25 PM
Why Game of Thrones declined, take two:

A big part of it might be D&D getting major plot points from GRRM and being somewhat at a loss as to how exactly to get these characters there (which would explain the season 7 jetpacks, the infamous wight hunt, etc).  And lacking pivotal book-only characters (the Mummer's dragon) can explain some illogical character motivations.

And according to Scientific American, the show shifted focus from characters acting within the constraints of societal institutions and norms (sociology) to characters acting out of their own impulses (psychology)

Suffice it to say that in previous seasons, you cared about religion and the Iron Bank and feudal succession and the stigmas associated with being a dwarf or a bastard or a cripple.  In this final season, none of that matters one iota.  All that matters is the whims of one character or another.  A thousand shows already do that, and much better.

And you know what else you're doing?  Watching dead air.

Because D&D love them some sullen silence.  Dialogue clearly isn't their strong suit and they likely know this.  So Emilla Clarke's eyebrows are gonna have to tell the story instead.

Impressive.  And I never watched a single episode...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 02:38:13 PM
Impressive.  And I never watched a single episode...
I still highly recommend seasons 1-4.  Watershed stuff.  Seasons 5-6 should be treated with caution and seasons 7-8 can only be safely watched with higher brain functions temporarily neutralized.

Hydra009

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman