News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2019, 03:30:24 PM
True... but I think for a long while after all that has happened, everyone is going to be sick of fighting and just want to worry about themselves.
Absolutely.  That's the intent of the books, from what I can gather.

QuoteOf course, they might also think it's the perfect time to strike at their weaker enemies... or lack resources in their homelands. If anything, I will go back to Dorne... I think the world is really set up at this point for them to massively expand their power. Or the Iron Bank and Bravos...
Dorne and the Vale are particularly well set up to expand their borders into the Reach and Riverlands, respectively.

With the power vacuum and resulting lawlessness in their borderlands, traveling merchants need to be protected from banditry.  Detachments of troops should be selflessly dispatched to patrol the roads and provide much-needed security to vulnerable travelers.  The de facto occupation of foreign lands would be an unfortunate - but temporary - consequence of this noble endeavor.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2019, 03:30:24 PMShe definitely is, but I would also argue the overwhelming majority of her victims were either people who deserved it (slave owners, rebellions) or people who started legitimate wars with her when she offered them a peaceful solution.
[spoiler]Eh...that's true to some degree.  She crucified the masters and no doubt, some of them deserved it.  She also fed a nobleman to her dragons because there was a guerilla operation against her and seemed less concerned with whether or not he deserved it than whether or not it inspired fear.

A keen watcher (or an inattentive one, perhaps even a vegetative one) may notice that she has been needlessly bellicose at times.  *cue montage of threats at the gates of Qarth, threats at parlay with the Yunkish, threats to Tyrion and Varys*

Perhaps the most drastic change is with the viewers themselves - her previous victims were not afforded sympathy because they were perceived as assholes.

The only difference between Dany the Breaker of Chains and Dany the Mad is a small change in perspective.[/spoiler]

GrinningYMIR

Best way of describing season 8 is either dumpster fire, or a show that has abandoned plot logic and character in order to achieve the end of the show
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 13, 2019, 07:46:47 PM
Best way of describing season 8 is either dumpster fire, or a show that has abandoned plot logic and character in order to achieve the end of the show
A little of column A, a little of column B...

Baruch

I prefer Gandalf's view.  Don't be so quick to deal out death.  Being a monster is ... monstrous.  But becoming a monster, isn't a cure.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on May 14, 2019, 12:23:53 AM
I prefer Gandalf's view.  Don't be so quick to deal out death.
Great advice, and a central part of the GoT show/books.  There's a great scene in the book where a character confuses justice and revenge and many of the characters embody either revenge or justice.

We're meant to see the full results of vengeance and regret rooting for bloodshed in the first place.  In that at least, I think season 8 hit the mark.

Hydra009

s8e5:

[spoiler]

He has a good point.  I dunno why anyone would interpret ringing bells as an indication of surrender.  As someone who plays a lot of Rise of Nations, bells mean quite the opposite - warning of attack and signaling civilians to take shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAwB-FkyWZU

In-universe: ringing bells indicate some sort of calamity - siege, VIP death - but can also be used for weddings.  In reality, medieval bells were also rung during church services, as well as to indicate seasonal celebrations or even the time of day.

IIRC, bells have rarely if ever indicated surrender - either IRL or in GoT.

You know what does indicate surrender?  Striking your banners and/or raising a white flag.  Also, you typically want to negotiate a surrender well in advance of a battle because you can get far more favorable terms and your soldiers/civilians don't die pointlessly.

I dunno why the writers kinda forgot about banners in this show.  They were super important during real medieval periods.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Hydra009

Scenes that I'm convinced happened offscreen, Part 1:

(Spoilers for stuff revealed so long ago that I'm not even sure I should use a spoiler tag)

[spoiler]Jon:  Sam, I need your advice.  This whole relationship with Daenerys is...weird.  *pained expression*  I mean, she's my aunt.  Isn't that kinda messed up?

Sam:  One second, Jon.  Let me get Gilly.

Jon:  You don't have to...

Sam: This'll just take a second.  Gilly, can you come over here please?

*Gilly enters*

Jon:  Okay, so I had sex with a girl.  Now it turns out she's my aunt and I'm starting to feel pretty weird about it.  This is a really messed up relationship.

*Gilly rolls on the floor laughing hysterically*
*Sam chuckles*[/spoiler]

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

Well, some 2 hours until the Finale on HBO.

Sal1981

Well, that was IMO a dull conclusion.

[spoiler]
The whole frontstabbing thing of Dany by Jon was pretty anti-climatic, and why did Drogon burn the iron throne and not just kill Jon? I'm puzzled by that.

That they, somehow, ended with what resembles a representative republic/semi-monarch (although chosen by lords and ladies, instead of the whole people) seemed pretty forced to me, with Bran the Broken as the first to rule.

The Unsullied just piss off back to Naareen or whatever that island was called seemed way too easy. I would be more surprised if Greyworm just lopped Jon's head off, but instead he's back at the Night's Watch as some sort of punishment, big whoop.

There were also some hints at there might be more grounds to cover, with Arya going sailing west of Westeros, like some Magellan explorer, since the maps end at Westeros.

And Sansa becomes queen of the North. That seemed fitting, I think, considering she was treated like shit in the previous season by Ramsay along with Theon.

Overall I think it was mediocre conclusion. With a roaming dragon going about at the end of things. That's one heck of a loose end.
[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Series Finale

Spoilers without context

[spoiler]

Also, my avatar[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 19, 2019, 10:41:11 PM
Well, that was IMO a dull conclusion.

[spoiler]
The whole frontstabbing thing of Dany by Jon was pretty anti-climatic, and why did Drogon burn the iron throne and not just kill Jon? I'm puzzled by that.

That they, somehow, ended with what resembles a representative republic/semi-monarch (although chosen by lords and ladies, instead of the whole people) seemed pretty forced to me, with Bran the Broken as the first to rule.

The Unsullied just piss off back to Naareen or whatever that island was called seemed way too easy. I would be more surprised if Greyworm just lopped Jon's head off, but instead he's back at the Night's Watch as some sort of punishment, big whoop.

There were also some hints at there might be more grounds to cover, with Arya going sailing west of Westeros, like some Magellan explorer, since the maps end at Westeros.

And Sansa becomes queen of the North. That seemed fitting, I think, considering she was treated like shit in the previous season by Ramsay along with Theon.

Overall I think it was mediocre conclusion. With a roaming dragon going about at the end of things. That's one heck of a loose end.
[/spoiler]
I agree.  6/10.  Predictable paired with nonsensical and unrealistic.  How drab.

Broadly, it keeps to the themes of the books, but that's about it has going for it.

As for your loose end...

[spoiler]A roaming dragon is more dangerous than you know.

In the books at least, the dragons have some sort of correlative relationship with magic, just as the white walkers have with the freezing cold.  Magic that wouldn't otherwise be possible is possible while at least one dragon lives.

Expect a magical threat in the foreseeable future.  The warlocks of Quarth, for instance.  Or The Seven forbid, a swarm of dragons.[/spoiler]

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 20, 2019, 01:04:01 AM
Series Finale

Spoilers without context

[spoiler]

Also, my avatar[/spoiler]

In other words, Take their hard earned gilt and F**k the fans ;-(  There is a lot of writing now, IMHO, where the author treats the readers as "deplorablea".

On the there hand I fully agree with this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZVuY7qXNoI

Bran and the others can get burned to ash for all I care.  Death and life are inseparable partners.  The delusional deny this.

Arya is Ma'at, Egyptian goddess of justice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.