News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

[spoiler]Everyone:  the crypts are the safest place in Winterfell!

Night King: 

Mass rez ability + lots of dead bodies inside the gates = absolute slaughter.  Oh, and did I mention that there are tunnels underneath Winterfell?[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Well, that was the most metal episode of GoT that I have ever seen.  It surpassed Hardhome for sure.  I have some minor grievances, but the main plot structure was solid and it hit all the right beats.

Also, my predictions were right and wrong.  And the community as a whole erred significantly.

Mr.Obvious

Helping the gf catch up with got before we watch season 8. We watched hardhome yesterday. Easily one of my favorite episodes.
You're making me curious for the final season mate
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

All I can say about the 3rd ep is that I am impressed. It was much better than I expected. Well done.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

_Xenu_

The episode was too chaotic for me, and too dark to view most of the time. I could not keep track of what was going on. I hope now that the Night King is dealt with, we can return to the more interesting realpolitik that defines the series.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

Quote from: _Xenu_ on April 29, 2019, 10:41:13 AMI hope now that (spoilers!), we can return to the more interesting realpolitik that defines the series.
Oh my sweet summer child...

Realpolitik was seasons 1-4, maybe a little of 5 if you stretch it.  This series went full Hollywood long ago - long, silent stares instead of dialogue (d&d eat that stuff up), plot armor galore, and extremely contrived events pushing the plot forwards.  (Basically, the polar opposite of the asoiaf book series)

In fact, I already have a good idea of what's going to happen at King's Landing and how the show will wrap up.  It's been telegraphed for a few seasons now.  I'll post it in a few days.

drunkenshoe

I agree. Nevertheless, the so called criticism of the last episode is largely idiotic. I think, people start to live in these fanstay worlds and miss a lot from a very close angle. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

I have been devoted to many, many series over my few years but for the life of me I cannot understand the fascination to a show where people go fucking beside themselves over. Fuck man its a TV show. Take your hands off yer nads and let them breath.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 29, 2019, 01:46:55 PM
I agree. Nevertheless, the so called criticism of the last episode is largely idiotic. I think, people start to live in these fanstay worlds and miss a lot from a very close angle.
I dunno what exactly you're referring to, but I think people are mostly bummed about White Walkers being built up so much for so long and then their confrontation fell short of expectations.  Especially since this seems like the sort of battle that should've been the grand finale, not the penultimate battle.

I don't know exactly what you're getting at with the last sentence, but generally people are okay with magic and whatever fantasy elements the author brings to the table as long as there's a consistent logic to it.  With GoT, there are a few main rules:

1) No character is safe - any character can die at any time.  If you get in over your head, you're very likely to kick the bucket and no white wizard is going to come riding in to save you.  This isn't to say that it's strike one and you're dead - just that mistakes tend to have brutal and long-lasting consequences.
2) History matters - family history informs character motivations, everyone from Theon to Tywin to Dany seems to be at least partially defined by their family's past.  This is why we get very lengthy sections (hell, even a whole book) on family history.
3) Political scheming - much of the things that happen and don't happen are really the handiwork of advisors and influence-mongers, not their royals and lords.  This is part of the reason why every house has a shitton of characters.
4) Magic is powerful but rare and incredibly dangerous
5) Unreliable narration
6) Prophecy is suspect - GRRM fills his books with prophecy, but following from the above, we can't completely trust prophecy.  Prophecies are ambiguous (a point hammered home by the "prince" that was promised), characters can misinterpret things, there are definitely charlatans (mummer's dragon), and there's the distinct possibility that it might all be bullshit.

In season 8 so far, we have a surprisingly high number of safe characters, very little on history (despite prime real estate for some major revelations), borderline-to-nonexistent scheming, and absolutely zilch on prophecy.  Suffice is to say that there's a very different tone and purpose between what I've been reading and what I've been watching.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 29, 2019, 11:55:55 PM
I dunno what exactly you're referring to, but I think people are mostly bummed about White Walkers being built up so much for so long and then their confrontation fell short of expectations.  Especially since this seems like the sort of battle that should've been the grand finale, not the penultimate battle.

[spoiler]I was referring to the people bummed about Arya Stark killing the Night King, but not some tank character, preferably Jon Snow. Then I learned it was known that it would be Arya. (I don't know the books. I don't read about the series, I just watch it. Actually, this is the firs time I looked around.) But I saw so many stupid comments, I was like Aaaaargh. Mainly asking how can she pass them all and where did she jump from?

I might be completely wrong, but I never thought they were the story or even the real villian. In my opinion, the White Walkers were the means to bring certain armies together against Cersei. (A catalyst.) Well not necessarily her at the beginning as I didn't know and just guessed, but whoever would refuse to put aside the differences, fights to work together against anything that would destory the life on that world, would be the evil in the story to fight against together.

Even after a war like this, all major characters are alive this time. And for this show, that's a record of some sort if I am not mistaken. But then all these cahracters also have beef with Cersei.  [/spoiler]       

QuoteI don't know exactly what you're getting at with the last sentence, but generally people are okay with magic and whatever fantasy elements the author brings to the table as long as there's a consistent logic to it.

[spoiler]It was again about Arya killing the NK. I mean, when people get into the world too much, get a side, have their own fantasy in it, they sometimes lose track. [/spoiler]

Otherwise, I agree with what you put below.

QuoteWith GoT, there are a few main rules:

1) No character is safe - any character can die at any time.  If you get in over your head, you're very likely to kick the bucket and no white wizard is going to come riding in to save you.  This isn't to say that it's strike one and you're dead - just that mistakes tend to have brutal and long-lasting consequences.
2) History matters - family history informs character motivations, everyone from Theon to Tywin to Dany seems to be at least partially defined by their family's past.  This is why we get very lengthy sections (hell, even a whole book) on family history.
3) Political scheming - much of the things that happen and don't happen are really the handiwork of advisors and influence-mongers, not their royals and lords.  This is part of the reason why every house has a shitton of characters.
4) Magic is powerful but rare and incredibly dangerous
5) Unreliable narration
6) Prophecy is suspect - GRRM fills his books with prophecy, but following from the above, we can't completely trust prophecy.  Prophecies are ambiguous (a point hammered home by the "prince" that was promised), characters can misinterpret things, there are definitely charlatans (mummer's dragon), and there's the distinct possibility that it might all be bullshit.

QuoteIn season 8 so far, we have a surprisingly high number of safe characters, very little on history (despite prime real estate for some major revelations), borderline-to-nonexistent scheming, and absolutely zilch on prophecy.  Suffice is to say that there's a very different tone and purpose between what I've been reading and what I've been watching.

[spoiler]It's either that Cersei is the really big bad final boss or they are going to hit with something very big we cannot think of. But then I don't know the half of you do. [/spoiler]

aitm

you peeps get way too involved in this....criminy.....I have never spent this much time talking about ALL the shows I have ever seen. Tis entertainment, not life across "in a different dimension".....er.....at least I hope not.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on April 30, 2019, 03:54:23 PM
you peeps get way too involved in this....criminy.....I have never spent this much time talking about ALL the shows I have ever seen. Tis entertainment, not life across "in a different dimension".....er.....at least I hope not.

I just watch the show. Actually, I was just telling Hydra that this is the first time I looked around what people are saying about the show. There is too much material with this one. It's grift, mythic, detailed...surprising...also insipired by 'real' myths. We didn't even get into it.

Also, we are nerds AND geeks. You are aware of that right?

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on April 30, 2019, 03:54:23 PM
A bit strange to complain about GoT discussion in a thread specifically made to discuss GoT, lol.  I guess everyone has a hobby, though some are far more wothwhile than others.

But now that you mention it, I generally watch the episode, watch an average of 5 videos dissecting it (totaling about twice the runtime of the episode), chat it up with friends for about an hour, then discuss it here in 1-3 posts.  So yeah, it's a pretty hefty time committment.

But bear in mind that this is an enormously popular water-cooler type show.  Those don't come all that often.  It's quite an experience.

And when the show isn't on, I watch theory videos and read the books.  How long does that take?  Well, it Varys.  :)

aitm

Hydra009

I'd buy him a horn of milk.