News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Xenu_

Well, Jon officially knows his lineage now. This should be interesting.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

I'm going to miss this show so much when it wraps up.

Cavebear

No dis to those who love the show.

But I have often wondered about the attraction of Popular Shows.  There are so many I never bothered to watch (wanting to get actual stuff done).  I never watched a single episode of Charlie's Angels, Dallas, and so many others.  And Game Of Thrones is the same.  Is it that they give you something to to talk about with friends?  Office break time talk?  Social references?

I'm not completely immune; I always watched M*A*S*H but that was mostly because of the anti-war message.  And Star Trek because of the newness and ethical messages.  I don't get most of the others.  What am I missing?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 07:04:16 AMIs it that they give you something to to talk about with friends?  Office break time talk?  Social references?

I'm not completely immune; I always watched M*A*S*H but that was mostly because of the anti-war message.  And Star Trek because of the newness and ethical messages.  I don't get most of the others.  What am I missing?
First, it's like Lord of the Rings (epic scope) but with a much more pessimistic tone (the heroes don't always win, people don't always make the right choices, people suffer calamity, etc). There's also a bit of tension because characters can and will die left and right, characters that you likely will care about.

There's enough character variety that you absolutely will bond with a character - they'll remind you of yourself or a family member or friend.  I guarantee you, you will root for someone and you'll want tune in just to see more of that person's story.

Mysteries abound.  Less so as the series has progressed, but even on the last season, there are still huge revelations to be had.

Sex and violence - apparently people like that.

Big budget polish - a lot of the time, fantasy and sci-fi shows don't get enough funding and it shows.  GoT has always gotten enough funding for great setwork, gorgeous costumes, impressive dragons, so-so actors, 2.5 seconds of Ghost, and exactly one Targarean wig.  (I kid, but the show really is visually stunning.)

And there is a message underneath all of that - a very strong egalitarian, anti-war message throughout the show.  Westeroes is dying as petty lords and ladies sqabble over some crown.  A corrupt ruler carries out petty revenges as the country bleeds.  Sound familiar?

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2019, 07:37:53 AM
First, it's like Lord of the Rings (epic scope) but with a much more pessimistic tone (the heroes don't always win, people don't always make the right choices, people suffer calamity, etc). There's also a bit of tension because characters can and will die left and right, characters that you likely will care about.

There's enough character variety that you absolutely will bond with a character - they'll remind you of yourself or a family member or friend.  I guarantee you, you will root for someone and you'll want tune in just to see more of that person's story.

Mysteries abound.  Less so as the series has progressed, but even on the last season, there are still huge revelations to be had.

Sex and violence - apparently people like that.

Big budget polish - a lot of the time, fantasy and sci-fi shows don't get enough funding and it shows.  GoT has always gotten enough funding for great setwork, gorgeous costumes, impressive dragons, so-so actors, 2.5 seconds of Ghost, and exactly one Targarean wig.  (I kid, but the show really is visually stunning.)

And there is a message underneath all of that - a very strong egalitarian, anti-war message throughout the show.  Westeroes is dying as petty lords and ladies sqabble over some crown.  A corrupt ruler carries out petty revenges as the country bleeds.  Sound familiar?

Hmm, I may have missed out on that assuming it was a drama crap.  I originally heard it was an endless series of people getting killed off.

I assume it can be binge-watched?  Where?

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 08:20:08 AM
Hmm, I may have missed out on that assuming it was a drama crap.  I originally heard it was an endless series of people getting killed off.
That's not entirely incorrect - it's just not the whole story.

Imo, the series is 35% worldbuilding/lore, 35% plotting and scheming, 10% horrific violence, 10% speeches, 5% T and A, and the remaining 5% is Sam and Gilly tedium (It feels longer than it actually is)

If that's up your alley, go for it.

QuoteI assume it can be binge-watched?  Where?
Legally, I can only say to stream it on HBO.

_Xenu_

You don't have to have an HBO cable subscription or anything, you can get their online service stand alone for $14.99 a month. If you happen to have HBO with a cable package, contact your service provider and they will help you out.

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ppLtHbag4

Fun fact:  there actually is a character named Elmo in Game of Thrones.  Elmo Tully, he doesn't make an appearance, he's just mentioned in passing.  More of an easter egg than anything else.

Also, in a different scene, Big Bird became a wight.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2019, 10:04:43 AM
That's not entirely incorrect - it's just not the whole story.

Imo, the series is 35% worldbuilding/lore, 35% plotting and scheming, 10% horrific violence, 10% speeches, 5% T and A, and the remaining 5% is Sam and Gilly tedium (It feels longer than it actually is)

If that's up your alley, go for it.
Legally, I can only say to stream it on HBO.

Thanks, but if I ever get HBO, it will be for Bill Maher.  Best since George Carlin...

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 07:04:16 AM
No dis to those who love the show.

But I have often wondered about the attraction of Popular Shows.  There are so many I never bothered to watch (wanting to get actual stuff done).  I never watched a single episode of Charlie's Angels, Dallas, and so many others.  And Game Of Thrones is the same.  Is it that they give you something to to talk about with friends?  Office break time talk?  Social references?

I haven't seen any GoT either, but I've seen a few clips of it at youtube. It's pretty intense, I guess, and people like living vicarious lives through the fictions of our modern times. They need drama in their boring lives, and it's better to get it from the Lannisters, et al, than their next-door neighbors.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 08:20:08 AM

I assume it can be binge-watched?  Where?

One of James Corden's writers had never seen any of it, and so they locked him in a room and made him watch 67 hours of nothing but Game of Thrones! I doubt he'll ever be the same again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqNT13ywnI8
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 18, 2019, 01:53:56 PM

One of James Corden's writers had never seen any of it, and so they locked him in a room and made him watch 67 hours of nothing but Game of Thrones! I doubt he'll ever be the same again...

You couldn't pay me enough money to do that.  But I'm reminded of Abraham Lincoln and a bribery attempt when he was a mere lawyer.  I searched all through the internet and could not find it, though the most promising site was all lincoln anecdotes here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2517/2517-h/2517-h.htm#link2H_4_0004  you all may find the stories amazing and/or interesting.

But as I recall the story, Lincoln was approached by an opposing attorney who offered him some serious money to drop the case.  Lincoln said "no".

The man then said, "Look, every man has his price".  Lincoln said he was not bribable.  The man doubled his offer.  Lincoln said "no" again.  After that, the man tripled his offer.  Lincoln grabbed the man and threw him down the stairs. 

The man said "Why did you do THAT?"  Lincoln said "You were getting near my price"!

There are things I might watch if constrained or forced by company.  But the price would be high, LOL!

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 18, 2019, 01:53:56 PM

I know that 67 hours sounds like a lot, but that's almost 3 days worth of episodes released over the course of 8 years.

If my math is correct, you could watch as little as 70 seconds of GoT per day and get all caught up by the season 8 premier if you start microdosing on the same day as the series premier.  (Seasons 1-7 runtime = 3,393 minutes.  April 17, 2011 to April 18, 2019 = 2923 days.)

The book series is where the real challenge is at!  A lot of show-watchers who are unfazed by 3,393 minutes of show-watching balk at the idea of having to sit down and read all 5 books.

But the book series is a mere(!) 4,228 pages published over the course of 8295 days.  Let's assume that all five books were published on the same day and you're a super slow reader who can only read a single page a day.  You'd be all caught up by the end of February, 2008.  You'd have over a decade to sit on your hands and wait for new material!

It's entirely possible (but difficult) to read the whole thing in a year - just read 12 pages a day!  Or take your time and leisurely knock it out over the course of a few years.

The point is, people look at the total numbers and freak out, when really it's completely manageable.  A journey of a thousand miles...

...will take you less than three years if you walk at a leisurely pace of just a mile per day.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 02:45:49 PM
You couldn't pay me enough money to do that.
People have done a lot worse things for money.  Most of us here know at least a little of that pain.  Getting paid to watch TV - any TV - instead would be a godsend.

But binging is inherently unhealthy - people need sleep and exercise and decent nutrition.  Plus, it kinda ruins the experience - you don't get any time to process what you're watching and after time, boredom sets in and you don't enjoy it anymore.

The focus shouldn't be finishing a show as quickly as possible, but enjoying a show as much as possible.

Baruch

There are Indian TV shows with over 100 episodes.  I will be reincarnated before I can get to the end.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.