News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on August 23, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
I have seen some clips on Youtube on GoT. A veritable gore fest.
Not my scene, thanks. Although I did like LoTR.

GRRM is one sick puppy. But he knows what the market wants.
Blood and gore with sex.

Enjoy.

I haven't seen such depravity, since I saw a documentary on Torquemada ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Blood and gore with sex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-QbFaY_wU

Deidre32

lol It's so much more than blood, gore and sex. It's not that much gore, I don't think?
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Hydra009

Quote from: Deidre32 on August 23, 2017, 10:02:19 PM
lol It's so much more than blood, gore and sex. It's not that much gore, I don't think?
Imo, non-viewers think there's a lot more sex and violence than there really is because they rarely see much more than the promos.  They must think GoT fans are tuning into an orgy and pit fight every night, lol.

There's maybe like 20 minutes of sex in the whole series' runtime, if that.  And a surprisingly large amount of it is NOT the pleasant kind of sex at all.  We're talking boner kryptonite stuff here.

There's plenty of violence and a lot of it is pretty gory, but I dunno, it's comparable to other violent cable shows, shows like The Walking Dead.  Maybe along the lines of a Quentin Tarantino film at its bloodiest.  But there's a lot of time where it's just people talking......and walking...and brooding...and talking...and sailing...and talking...and staring off into the distance.

Anyone who tunes in for T&A or MMA fights every night is in for a huge disappointment.

Shiranu

So I am really, really behind but... I just got to the best Hodor scene.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Blood and gore with sex.

Enjoy.

My god, you are literally everything wrong with humanity. Muslims was whatever, but shitting on GoT? What the fuck type of monster are you?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

QuoteWhat the fuck type of monster are you?

A monster that abhorrest gratuitous violence. Whether in real life or in entertainment.
Society becoming desensitized to violence, murder, barbarism.

If that is a "monster" to you, so be it.
I think you are over reacting. Think before you write.

Shiranu

A monster that abhorrest gratuitous violence.

So then you are okay with Game of Thrones.

QuoteI think you are over reacting.

I think the joking over-dramatics went over your head.

pr126

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 01:55:27 AM
I am not amused.

Nonetheless, the violence in GoT is not gratuitous in the least. It is a simple necessity to advance the plot and resolve conflict between characters while maintaining a serious tone and serious consequences for your favorite and least favorite characters (and everyone inbetween). Without simulated violence, GoT's story could never exist, and that would be a shame. A body of art this comprehensive, expansive, and making tribute to actual historical events and depicting the realities of humanity outside of just the pretty parts has every right to exist.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on August 24, 2017, 01:55:27 AM
I am not amused.

So regal, your highness.  We are pleased ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on August 24, 2017, 02:08:11 AM
Nonetheless, the violence in GoT is not gratuitous in the least. It is a simple necessity to advance the plot and resolve conflict between characters while maintaining a serious tone and serious consequences for your favorite and least favorite characters (and everyone inbetween). Without simulated violence, GoT's story could never exist, and that would be a shame. A body of art this comprehensive, expansive, and making tribute to actual historical events and depicting the realities of humanity outside of just the pretty parts has every right to exist.
Yeah, I don't get how the author is supposed to do a fantasy version of the War of Roses (complete with the Glencoe Massacre) and not have it be bloody as hell.

The beating heart of GoT = fantasy setting + Reality Ensues.

You can't whitewash this stuff because that would defeat the whole point.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2017, 11:35:43 PM
Yeah, I don't get how the author is supposed to do a fantasy version of the War of Roses (complete with the Glencoe Massacre) and not have it be bloody as hell.

The beating heart of GoT = fantasy setting + Reality Ensues.

You can't whitewash this stuff because that would defeat the whole point.

I think the Kennedy family, Bush family, Clinton family, Obama family and Trump family are just like those horrible nobles.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 25, 2017, 04:09:16 PM
https://youtu.be/EJZS87Gw89I
An interesting idea.  But imo the more likely reason that the math doesn't add up is because Writers Have No Sense of Scale, rather than Westerosi people are giants.  (The Attack on Titan distances are spot on, though)

And it's really been bugging me how people can so quickly and relatively safely travel huge distances in season 7.  In the books and in the TV show up until recently, long-distance travel could take months and characters could and sometimes did get sick and die in transit, get kidnapped, robbed, shipwrecked, sidetracked, etc.  Making the journey successfully shows a pretty high amount of fortitude and determination.  It can even change your life.  Treating travel so cavalierly undercuts a lot of the gritty reputation the series cultivated.

In the real world during the middle ages, some europeans used to go on pilgrimages to Jerusalem.  It was treated as a hell of an accomplishment precisely because it was so difficult.