News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylar

My picks:

$2 Stannis Baratheon - leader and rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
$1 High Sparrow - instrumental in keeping the common people in favor of the king. That will reduce the chance of rebellion.
$5 Bran Stark - the game's ultimate scout. He can see through time and space, and will be able to see the movements of the enemy early enough to help Tywin devise a strategy to defeat them.
$5 Tywin Lannister - the most ruthless strategist in the game, and a proven winner. He might lose some battles, but he wins wars. With Bran's magic, he would be unstoppable.
$1 Bronn - protects Tywin.
$1 Tormund - protects Bran.

As it is quite obvious, my goal in my picks is to win the war and rule in peace. I believe Bran and Tywin are the strongest duo in a war. I believe the Faith and the Crown will make sure the reign of Stannis Baratheon, the first of his name, peaceful and prosperous. I believe Bronn and Tormund are both capable warriors who would defend Tywin and Bran from treachery.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Hydra009

Quote from: Sylar on August 14, 2017, 02:15:25 AMI believe the Faith and the Crown will make sure the reign of Stannis Baratheon, the first of his name, peaceful and prosperous.
Book Stannis is an atheist and probably wouldn't tolerate the High Sparrow.  He'd probably tolerate the High Septon, but definitely not the High Sparrow.

QuoteI believe Bronn and Tormund are both capable warriors who would defend Tywin and Bran from treachery.
As long as you're the top bidder, Bronn's loyalty is impeccable.  He'd probably be okay with his hand in Tywin's purse.

Tormund is a capable warrior, but book Tormund is a schemer with a hidden agenda.  Betrayal is possible.

Stannis, Brienne, and Drogo are the only truly honorable characters in GoT (aside from Ned).  If they worked together, they'd be unstoppable.  But yeah, they probably wouldn't get along, either.

Sorginak

Sunday's episode was leaked early; therefore, don't read the spoilers unless you want to.

[spoiler]
As usual, nothing really happens in the first twenty minutes.
A few minutes of action and then back to nothing but talk happening.
Half an hour in, some more action.
They caught their winter zombie.
It's an intense wintry version of the walking dead.
Dragons to the rescue.
Nooooo, one of her dragons went down, under the water, and so did Jon Snow as he was dragged under by zombies.
Jon resurfaces and is saved by Uncle Ben.
Now the zombie king has a dragon of his own.
End of the episode.
[/spoiler]

Hydra009

My opinion on watching leaked episodes:

Sorginak

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 16, 2017, 10:55:00 PM

The only downside to watching early leaked episodes is that when the day comes it actually airs, I have nothing to watch. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Sorginak on August 16, 2017, 10:59:27 PM
The only downside to watching early leaked episodes is that when the day comes it actually airs, I have nothing to watch.
I watch 7 analysis videos for every episode of GoT.  It only drops off between seasons.

GrinningYMIR

Your prince will find only death in the cold north
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 16, 2017, 10:55:00 PM

I watched The leaked ep too. I can never see it 'legally' anyway. Or I'd have to wait a full year or so to buy The dvd's. Which i do buy, btw, so i am not a Total scoundrel.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sylar

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 17, 2017, 01:59:46 AM
I watched The leaked ep too. I can never see it 'legally' anyway. Or I'd have to wait a full year or so to buy The dvd's. Which i do buy, btw, so i am not a Total scoundrel.

Lol, I got the free 1 month HBO trial, which I will cancel before the month ends. I do not follow a lot of HBO shows for me to subscribe.

Saw leaked episode (needed to reward myself after the hectic day I've had :P), but I will watch it again on Sunday. Parts of the new episode were spoiled for me already, anyways.

I'll keep quiet till Sunday/Monday though.

Just kidding. Hey Hydra, in episode 6... shit happens.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Sylar

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 16, 2017, 11:01:04 PM
I watch 7 analysis videos for every episode of GoT.  It only drops off between seasons.

Who do you follow?

I like Alt Shift X. One of the best out there.

Sylar

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 15, 2017, 11:41:15 PM
Book Stannis is an atheist and probably wouldn't tolerate the High Sparrow.  He'd probably tolerate the High Septon, but definitely not the High Sparrow.
As long as you're the top bidder, Bronn's loyalty is impeccable.  He'd probably be okay with his hand in Tywin's purse.

Tormund is a capable warrior, but book Tormund is a schemer with a hidden agenda.  Betrayal is possible.

Stannis, Brienne, and Drogo are the only truly honorable characters in GoT (aside from Ned).  If they worked together, they'd be unstoppable.  But yeah, they probably wouldn't get along, either.

All are fair critiques. I haven't read the books yet (been meaning to start, but no time...).

It's also unlikely that Bran Stark would work with Tywin Lannister, so I decidedly did not pay much attention to detail when I formed my list. I was evidently more concerned with leadership and winning the war by looking at skills, irrespective of how those characters would work together.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sylar on August 17, 2017, 02:12:22 AM
Who do you follow?

I like Alt Shift X. One of the best out there.
* Alt Shift X (essentially an infodump, but an extremely well-made one)
* Preston Jacobs (book-heavy, finfoilery theorist who goes into exquisite detail.  He's probably wrong about half of what he says, but he says a lot of really intriguing things.)
* Red Team Reviews (bannermen of House Jacobs, more easy-going and more tv-heavy)
* Rawrist (very knowledgeable and likable)
* The Last Harpy (theorist with short, interesting videos)
* New Rockstars (tv-heavy analysis videos that often point out easily-missed details)
* Secrets of the Citadel (very detailed, book-heavy theorist with lots of analysis videos)

If you throw in Angry Joe, some nights I "make the eight".  :P

Sorginak

Reminder, I already watched tonight's episode.  hehe

Hydra009

I just realized I never properly reviewed 7x5.  Here goes!

[spoiler]Spoiler: Jamie survives.  Who could have guessed?  Oh right, everyone.  No one thought he was going to die, and he didn't. That cliffhanger totally had me at the edge of my seat. [/sarcasm]

Bronn remembers that he's a merc.  "Dragons are where our partnership ends.  I'm not going to be around when those things start spitting fire at King's Landing."  No kidding.  No sane person would, let alone a sellsword.  Everything else he says in this scene is correct.

The ever-compassionate Dany roasts the Tarly family.  True, they made their choice, but I don't think she made the right call in that situation.  Her speech was also a little weird.  "I didn't come to murder" right after nuking Lannister forces.  "I just want to crush the wheel" Huh?  Even assuming they understand the metaphor, I thought she wants to rule from the Iron Throne.  Seems less like crushing the wheel and more like climbing to the top of the wheel.

You know what would have been 100% better?  If she had done something unexpected, maybe even using this as a teachable moment to show how rotten the Seven Kingdoms have become and how she personally plans on fixing it.  Like pointing out that the Tarlys and Tyrells were allied and allies turning on allies - treachery and death is the current plight of the Seven Kingdoms.  She offers law and honor and prosperity instead.  Something like that might've swayed much more people than her screeching dragon.

Also, Dickon should have totally opted for the Night's Watch.  What delicious irony that would have been.  There could be a regretful apology scene with Sam at the Wall - two sons of an asshole father who messed up their lives in different ways.

Bran's crow scouting is pretty cool.  I loved how the Night King shuts him down.

Goddamn it, Sam.  "I'm sick of reading about the accomplishments of better men."  But you didn't.  You didn't recount tales of heroes.  You recounted boring treatises on a bunch of random topics.  You scrubbed bedpans.  You apparently performed a medical marvel.  But you didn't read or do anything interesting.  The Citadel was a gigantic waste of time.  Almost worse than Dorne, imo.

And fuck you, Gilly, for that annulment thing.  It's like D&D are intentionally taunting book readers.

Jorah's back!  It must've been a quick ride from Oldtown to Dragonstone.  But whatever, I'll assume he linked up with the Dothraki marching from the Reach.  The ride from the Reach to Dragonstone (situated awfully close to King's Landing) could've been perilous - you'd think Cersei would try something - but miraculously, it was completely uneventful.

Varys and Tyrion have a great conversation.  "I'm not the one doing it."

Jon comes up with an insanely stupid plan.  "Let's go north beyond the Wall, fight the undead, capture one, bring it back south of the wall (Weekend at Bernie's, anyone?) and then somehow show it to Cersei so that maybe she'll fight the undead instead of us"  There's a million ways this plan could be a disaster.  For starters, the expedition could all die.  Jon's seen Hardholme.  He of all people should know to avoid fighting, especially on the dead's home turf.  They might not be able to capture one.  They sure as hell probably aren't going to bring one back.  And even if it utterly convinces Cersei, she still might be like "LOL, that's your prob."  Jon, you truly know nothing.

And I swear to the Seven, the writers roll a roulette wheel for Arya's personality.  Now she's giving Arya shit for sleeping in her parents' room (she's the Lady of Winterfell, of course she's going to sleep there) and not beheading lords unhappy with Jon.  Arya, you can't just murder people who annoy you.  Plus, hearing lords' complaints is exactly what Sansa should be doing.  That's how good leaders do things.  "Sansa should be Queen of the North, not Jon!"  Where the hell were these people last season?!  What fickle and useless lords.

Sansa better count her lucky stars that the Vale army isn't getting restless yet.  They came in to smash the Boltons and what did they get in return?  Afaik, not a damn thing.  If I were Littlefinger, I'd have half a mind to take over Winterfell and the Dreadfort.  But apparently, he's too busy playing mind games with Arya.  10 golden dragons says Arya sees through the deception and the Stark kids fall upon him like...well...like wolves.  The plot practically writes itself and so do the puns.

Hey Davos, remember when your kids burned alive?  Guess who made it all happen!  How does that make you feel?  It's so weird how he brings it up and then drops it so abruptly.  I understand that Davos is a practical guy and holding a grudge doesn't help anything, but he shows saintlike qualities here in putting that aside so quickly.  Wars have been started for less.  Literally.

Tyrion's plan is almost worse than Jon's.  Sneak inside King's Landing and talk to the guy who long ago freed you from certain death, assuming you'd get out of dodge without first murdering his father?  Tyrion is deep in hostile territory and talking to a guy who has every right to want him dead.  It's a goddamn miracle Tyrion doesn't die right there.  But Tyrion almost dies all the time.  He must be covered head to toe in plot armor by now.

I fucking love Gendry!  I can even overlook the fact that he's inexplicably already prepped to go.  "I thought you were still rowing"  Davos smuggles in memes, too.  :)

The scene with the goldcloaks was great.  Davos is an extremely persuasive guy.  And fermented crab sounds amazing.  But Tyrion should've been much more cautious.  He practically runs right up to them before spotting the guards.  You'd think someone that short would be better at laying low.

I really want Gendry and Jon to have a heart to heart about their dads, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Also, half a handful of fermented crab says that Gendry dies this season.

The Fellowship of Winter!  Jorah, Jon, Tormund, Gendry, Beric, Thoros, and the Hound.  What a powerhouse!  With some unnamed Wildling redshirts.  I hope you guys have your life insurance paid.[/spoiler]

Deidre32

I can't believe I opened that spoiler....aaaaahhhh!! >,<
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi