Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylar

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 28, 2017, 10:52:46 PM
She has a name.  :P

Melisandre. Had to say it -- wouldn't want to burn at the stake :D.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Sylar

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 07, 2017, 03:19:53 AM
S7e4

[spoiler]So far, the best episode of the season, imho. Liked the dialogue, the interactions, the sense of tension and dread. And the field of fire was pretty damn epic.
I only have one little nitpick. And I have to have one of those because I hold GoT to such a high regard. My friend brought it up first, asking if I thought Bronn was being too much of a 'superman'.
Now... I can understand his character leaving the gold behind. It's of no use to him if he's dead. I can see him even wielding the scorpion rather than fleeing the overwhelming odds because he can't escape with that dragon flying about. But he would not have jumped in front of a firespewing dragon to save Jaime Lannister. I like Bronn. I do. But he's the guy that refused to fight the mountain for Tyrion Lannister. He would not risk his own life like that for Jaime. At least, that's what I think.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2017, 11:22:30 AM
[spoiler]Bronn would've cut and run as soon as he saw the dragon.  He's a mercenary, not an action hero.  Like with Oberyn's trial, he's smart enough to not fight impossible battles.

This episode deployed character shields for both of them.  Jamie with the implausible last-second tackle and Bronn somehow dodging the dragonfire that blew up the scorpion. They both charge headlong into certain death and not die while the redshirts are mowed down in droves.

GoT's mantra is that anyone can die, but that's a lie.  Certain characters get in way over their heads and are spared while other characters, even relatively cautious ones, get blown away.  Author's fancy, not the circumstances, truly decides their fates.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Anyone can die, but it is the author who decides when, where, and how they do.

The producers could have paid more attention to detail (see your bold statement, Hydra). A dialogue and Bronn/Jamie escaping to King's Landing would've been a far more realistic venture.

However, Bronn yielding a scorpion and barely escaping dragon fire, and Jamie charging head on towards Dany and her dragon and barely escaping with his life -- that's epic and fun. A dialogue? Meh, not so much (though it can certainly be).

Having said that, I wasn't as surprised by Bronn saving Jamie as I was with Jamie charging head on. Without Jamie, he's nothing. Cersei doesn't like him, and he has no lands, no title, and no money. Jamie's word is all he has -- if Jamie dies, there goes his future.

I still think Jamie will die, but not this season. Most prevailing theory around is that Jamie and Cersei will die together, but that remains to be seen. It's theorized that Cersei will use wildfire to blowup king's landing (she's becoming like the mad king, calling everyone traitors and exercising cruel punishment against enemies), but Jamie will kingslay-her and die in the process from wildfire. I just realized that there is a discrepancy in this theory though; Cersei is not suicidal, so she won't be within reach of the wildfire. So, how will Jamie die then?[/spoiler]
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Hydra009

I'll be controversial and say that this isn't the best episode so far.  I actually liked the previous episode, 7x03, a little bit more since it had an especially moving final scene.

And aside from the opening episode, all episodes so far have had a huge battle sequence near the end.  Maybe that's why this season is so short - because they're maxing out the effects budget.

[spoiler]I've gotta say, all that Stark children getting back together has proven to be far less moving than I thought it would be.  Sansa and Arya in particular should've been amazing, especially considering Arya's repeatedly thwarted attempts to reunite with her family.

There's no way Arya could've possibly bested Brienne in a fight.  I can buy that Arya's some uber assassin with braavosi dueling tricks to boot.  But she can't beat physics.  There's no way she could've parried Brienne's sword (a valaryian steel sword, which famously have an especially keen edge) that probably weighs a hundred times what needle weighs.

"Chaos is a ladder."  Littlefinger is so fucked right now.  Schemers die under a spotlight and there's no bigger spotlight than a greenseer who can search through time and space.

To show just how dangerous Dany's dragons are, either Bronn or Jamie should've died in that fight.  Imo, that battle would've been better if both Jamie and Bronn had tried fleeing with the gold right away as Bronn suggested.  But before they can get far, Dany's dragon swoops down on them, knocking over a portion of the convoy, including their coach.  They're both badly injured and Bronn's leg is broken.  In desperation, Bronn uses the scorpion.  It wounds the dragon, which crashes into the scorpion, pinning Bronn to the ground.  Bronn tries to stab it with a scorpion bolt, but the dragon knocks it aside and roasts Bronn point blank.  The last shot is Jamie riding away, face tight with fear and sorrow, as Bronn screams horrifically.[/spoiler]

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2017, 04:04:18 PM
I'll be controversial and say that this isn't the best episode so far.  I actually liked the previous episode, 7x03, a little bit more since it had an especially moving final scene.

Blasphemy!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

[spoiler]
Quote from: Sylar on August 07, 2017, 03:32:32 PMAnyone can die, but it is the author who decides when, where, and how they do.
I don't disagree, but S1 really set the tone for the show, and it's about Ned Stark, a lord turned super sleuth who makes a bunch of very bad mistakes and gets thrown into a dungeon.  You expect that he'll be saved, because he's the lead and "a good guy" and that's what conventionally happens in fantasy shows.  Except, bam, 1000% dead.

Since then, we've veered ever closer to the conventional "the good guy lives no matter what" mentality that G.R.R. dislikes.  Falls down a mountain?  Alive and well.  Deadly, highly-contagious disease?  That's nothing a little exfoliating and aloe won't fix.  You'll be good as new the next morning!  Stabbed repeatedly and thrown in a filthy canal?  Totes alive.

You see what I'm getting at.  I'm not saying amazing recoveries can't happen (Bran not dying from his fall, Dany not dying from the funeral pyre, Bran escaping the white walkers, Lady Stoneheart's origin story, etc) but they should be few and far between.  Characters shouldn't face certain death time and time again and come out of it unscathed.  It just robs the scene of all its tension when you know that the main character won't die.

QuoteThe producers could have paid more attention to detail (see your bold statement, Hydra).
For real.  But what I pointed out was a pretty small inconsistency, it's nothing compared to Stannis and Dorne.

QuoteI still think Jamie will die, but not this season. Most prevailing theory around is that Jamie and Cersei will die together, but that remains to be seen.
Exactly.  Jamie's slated to die with Cersei.  So any cliffhanger with him is pointless because the audience already knows that he doesn't die yet.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Sylar on August 07, 2017, 03:07:45 PMHave you seen the preview? I cannot wait. Saw the preview and immediately called/texted friends so we can have a party and watch it together. We will be playing GOT Risk, make some foods from GOT, and of course watch the new episode.
I wanted "the GoT boardgame" for Christmas one year.  I got the Risk version.  :(

The maps are pretty sweet, but Risk is kinda played out at this point.

My interest in the board game has waned, and the card game looks great, but getting players together might be a problem, especially after the TV show ends.  I don't know if I want to buy a game where I have to teach people that may or may not have much interest in the first place.  And how often could I possibly get a group together?

Hence my enduring wariness of board/card games.  It's a better experience than video games...if you can successfully get a group together that's willing to learn and play, which is often not the case for me.  You have to roll the dice before you roll the dice, if you know what I mean.

Sylar

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2017, 04:04:18 PM

And aside from the opening episode, all episodes so far have had a huge battle sequence near the end.  Maybe that's why this season is so short - because they're maxing out the effects budget.

[spoiler]I've gotta say, all that Stark children getting back together has proven to be far less moving than I thought it would be.  Sansa and Arya in particular should've been amazing, especially considering Arya's repeatedly thwarted attempts to reunite with her family.

There's no way Arya could've possibly bested Brienne in a fight.  I can buy that Arya's some uber assassin with braavosi dueling tricks to boot.  But she can't beat physics.  There's no way she could've parried Brienne's sword (a valaryian steel sword, which famously have an especially keen edge) that probably weighs a hundred times what needle weighs.

"Chaos is a ladder."  Littlefinger is so fucked right now.  Schemers die under a spotlight and there's no bigger spotlight than a greenseer who can search through time and space.

To show just how dangerous Dany's dragons are, either Bronn or Jamie should've died in that fight.  Imo, that battle would've been better if both Jamie and Bronn had tried fleeing with the gold right away as Bronn suggested.  But before they can get far, Dany's dragon swoops down on them, knocking over a portion of the convoy, including their coach.  They're both badly injured and Bronn's leg is broken.  In desperation, Bronn uses the scorpion.  It wounds the dragon, which crashes into the scorpion, pinning Bronn to the ground.  Bronn tries to stab it with a scorpion bolt, but the dragon knocks it aside and roasts Bronn point blank.  The last shot is Jamie riding away, face tight with fear and sorrow, as Bronn screams horrifically.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It seems to me that this episode's buildup and ending was to pave the way for a Tyrion/Jamie reunion.

The Arya/Brienne duel was weird, especially that we know Valyrian steel can break regular steel (if I remember correctly), but regardless of that missing detail it was a good scene, with Sansa and Littlefinger watching.

The stark reunion was so bland, to be honest. There were some emotions yes, but it was missing captivating dialogue.[/spoiler]

Sylar

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2017, 06:44:40 PM
I wanted "the GoT boardgame" for Christmas one year.  I got the Risk version.  :(

My interest in the board game has waned, and the card game looks great, but getting players together might be a problem, especially after the TV show ends.  I don't know if I want to buy a game where I have to teach people that may or may not have much interest in the first place.  And how often could I possibly get a group together?

Hence my enduring wariness of board/card games.  It's a better experience than video games...if you can successfully get a group together that's willing to learn and play, which is often not the case for me.  You have to roll the dice before you roll the dice, if you know what I mean.

It's definitely hard to get a group together for board games, especially ones like GoT where interest will eventually wane.

But, they're fun. And, I don't own the game; my friend does.

GOT: The Board Game sounds like a lot of fun, but not sure if any of my friends have it. I will ask. I would prefer it more than Risk I think.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2017, 06:44:40 PM

Play me Risk on Pogo.com and I'll teach you a lesson....  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Mild 7x4 spoiler:

[spoiler]

Jeez!  Whatever those stuntmen are getting paid, it isn't enough.

LOL, I like the one guy who isn't on fire flailing about like he is.  They'll probably end up cutting him out of the final shot.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

[spoiler]

Also, what happened to the team of artillerymen dedicated to manning the scorpion?

And do scouts just not exist in this universe?  First, Yara's fleet gets taken completely by surprise.  Now, Dothraki screamers (prob not very stealthy) rampage through the countryside and Lannister forces don't know about it till they're right on top of them?[/spoiler]

Sylar

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 10, 2017, 03:01:27 PM
[spoiler]

Also, what happened to the team of artillerymen dedicated to manning the scorpion?

And do scouts just not exist in this universe?  First, Yara's fleet gets taken completely by surprise.  Now, Dothraki screamers (prob not very stealthy) rampage through the countryside and Lannister forces don't know about it till they're right on top of them?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]People are saying that the river could be shallow near the bank, but deep towards the middle, as it is not a beach. Technically, it's possible as that's how trapezoidal channels usually are.

100% about the scouts. On Facebook there is an image going around that assigns characters a monetary value, and asks people to choose their ultimate squad for $15. I picked Bran, who I consider to be the top scout in Westeros, as he can see through time and space. People didn't seem to appreciate him enough though, from the comments I viewed. Even my own friends and cousins did not appreciate him, as no one picked him. I was like... Tywin + Bran would be unstoppable -- most ruthless strategist in the game and the best scout would win a war hands down.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Sylar on August 11, 2017, 06:28:40 PMOn Facebook there is an image going around that assigns characters a monetary value, and asks people to choose their ultimate squad for $15. I picked Bran. People didn't seem to appreciate him enough though, from the comments I viewed. Even my own friends and cousins did not appreciate him, as no one picked him. I was like... Tywin + Bran would be unstoppable.
I love the $15 challenge!  Let's do it!  I edited your post to avoid any spoilers.  We should be able to post the $15 challenge publicly without spoiling anything for anyone as long as we don't reveal any specifics about the characters.

Team Stannis
The Leader: Stannis the Mannis ($2)
The Magic: Mel ($4)
The Strategist:  Robb Stark ($3)
The Fighter: Brienne ($2)
The Muscle: Khal Drogo ($3)
And one buck left over to hire sellswords.  :)

Could you imagine Brienne fighting alongside Khal Drogo?!  Madness!

Mr.Obvious

2 bucks: stannis baratheon - The leader (Book version, not show version, and must be accomagnied by The onion knight. For a strong moral compas and a sense of duty.)
5 bucks: bran stark - The magic (Knowledge is power.)
3 bucks: rob stark - The strategist (He failed as a leader, but he won all the battles.)
3 arya stark - The fighter (Show version, not book version so far. Probably the strongest and most versatile fighter on the list, don't get why she's not five bucks. She'd be a bargain at five bucks.)
2 the hound - The Muscle (Almost went with Tormund because I like the fucker and would have one buck left to buy candy. But The hound and Arya in one team is a nice enough thought. I think, all in all, the muscle is the least important category and should be cheaped out on.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Deidre32

[spoiler]The Lannisters must stop making more babies ahhhh![/spoiler]

I'm loving this season so far.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi