News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Just watched s7e2

[spoiler]And with that, Theon is right back into 'Fuck You' town.

Quite a feat. GoT has had characters make me go from 'I like you' to 'I fucking hate you' and vice versa. But from 'I like you' to 'Fuck you' to 'I like you' to 'Fuck you again'... Bravo.[/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Deidre32

I'm anxious to see where Theon swims off to. lol Or who will take him in? Who will he side with now, or will he go it alone? He doesn't seem to have the fortitude to go it alone, but you never know. I also want to see how the Lannisters play out. It's weird how there are characters I strongly dislike, but still cheer for (secretly)
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Hydra009

Quote from: Deidre32 on July 30, 2017, 05:31:09 PMWho will he side with now, or will he go it alone? He doesn't seem to have the fortitude to go it alone, but you never know.
[spoiler]We'll most likely find out soon, but I predict he'll regroup with other survivors and depending on their numbers, they'll either retreat to Dragonstone or they might even pursue Euron.  Euron's rapid ambush and equally rapid withdraw suggests that he may have only hit a (relatively) small number of Yara-loyalist Greyjoy ships.  A large number of ships may be unscathed or only lightly damaged.[/spoiler]

QuoteI also want to see how the Lannisters play out. It's weird how there are characters I strongly dislike, but still cheer for (secretly)
[spoiler]Jamie is the guy I secretly...well, not exactly cheer for...hate less, perhaps?  His character growth over the seasons has done a lot to soften my stance on him.  But he still tried to murder a little kid.  Plus, he stabbed Jory Cassel in the eye.  Imho, Cat should have bashed his brains in when she had the chance.  If/when he dies, I won't relish it nearly as much as I might've in the past.

As for Cersei, let's just say that I packed all my fucks in the Great Sept.  I'll never understand why there aren't mass riots all over Westeros right after what she did became common knowledge. I can't wait for her to get what's coming to her.

The only characters that I'm still rooting for even a little: Brienne/Tormund (what is shipped may never die), Davos, Varys, Yara, Jorah, and the Hound.[/spoiler]

Deidre32

I agree with your spoilers, Hydra.

Ahhh tonight's episode was truly so good!

You've got work to do, Jon Snow.

Hydra009

7x3

[spoiler]Jon and Dany sure got off to a bumpy start.  They got along like oil and water...or frozen water and some sort of flammable oil.  If only there was an apt metaphor at hand...

And btw, I agree with Jon here for the most part.  Dany's crazy eyes weren't exactly disarming, and neither were her standard demands and threats.  It's so strange that she's squabbling with him about who rules the North before she rules the Crownlands.  The cart before the dragon.

I liked Tyrion's advice to Jon regarding telling people about problems that are too big for them - they can't grasp the scale and don't believe what they can't see in front of their own eyes.  This might be a bit of a stretch, but anyone else think this is a veiled reference to global warming?

I'm surprised Jamie didn't slit Euron's throat right then and there.  Prudent restraint?  Or is this lion too tame to bite live prey?

Wow, Cersei is truly depraved.  I miss the old days when rulers simply dispatched their enemies quickly and cleanly rather than gloat and torture.  Seems like a hobby for someone with lots of free time, which rulers tend to not have much of.  A pretender's sport.

Sansa had some great tips:  centralize grain in Winterfell and rim armor with leather.  +3 grain per turn, +5 soldier frost resistance.

And speaking of 4X strategizing, I like Littlefinger's mentality to prepare for all eventualities.  Though I like to stick to the more likely scenarios and don't bother with extremely unlikely scenarios.  Most people behave in very set, predictable ways in response to certain conditions.  All you have to do is change the conditions and watch events unfold in your favor.

"Be careful of the papermites, they like flesh as well."  o_O

Grey Worm is sooo fucked right now...

"What did he call it?"
"Widow's Wail."
"He really was a cunt, wasn't he?"
LMAO!

I really wanted to see the poison in action, if only to note the variety.  Oldtown must be rubbing off on me.  It would be hilarious if it was The Strangler.  Euron must be rubbing off on me, too.[/spoiler]

Cavebear

See, i GET 'Battleship' but I don't "get" Game of thrones.  Anyone who says atheists are all alike should read this... ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 10:55:53 AM
See, i GET 'Battleship' but I don't "get" Game of thrones.  Anyone who says atheists are all alike should read this... ;)

LOTR for adults.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on August 06, 2017, 12:40:44 PM
LOTR for adults.
Basically.  Though, I'd argue that LOTR was also for adults.  It's not like you hit your next birthday and suddenly, imaginative world-building, dragons, and magic becomes dull.

Game of Thrones is a much gritter, cynical take on a LOTR setting.

People are bastards and bastards are people.  Lords aren't necessarily enlightened or compassionate to their own people, much less another realm's people.  They wage petty squabbles as the world dies a slow death.  Knights are brutish and dishonorable.  Magic exists, but it's dangerous and terrifying.  A coinpurse and a whisper is worth a thousand swords.

Also, GoT is a series with a thousand mysteries and a million fan theories.  Schemers galore, as well as a sketchy history told by unreliable narrators with their own agendas.  These unanswered questions keep a lot of people's attention between books and between seasons.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 06, 2017, 01:30:42 PM
Basically.  Though, I'd argue that LOTR was also for adults.  It's not like you hit your next birthday and suddenly, imaginative world-building, dragons, and magic becomes dull.

Game of Thrones is a much gritter, cynical take on a LOTR setting.

People are bastards and bastards are people.  Lords aren't necessarily enlightened or compassionate to their own people, much less another realm's people.  They wage petty squabbles as the world dies a slow death.  Knights are brutish and dishonorable.  Magic exists, but it's dangerous and terrifying.  A coinpurse and a whisper is worth a thousand swords.

Also, GoT is a series with a thousand mysteries and a million fan theories.  Schemers galore, as well as a sketchy history hold by unreliable narrators with their own agendas.  These unanswered questions keep a lot of people's attention between books and between seasons.

I appreciate that people watch what they enjoy watching.  But there are things I am proud to have never watched.  I never saw an episode of 'Dallas'.  Or 'CHIPS'.  Or Baywatch.  Or any "reality show" (it takes some effort).  On the other paw, that doesn't mean every or anyone has to watch the Science and Nature documentaries  and evolution DVDs *I* prefer.  And (*koff, koff*) sci-fi superhero stuff).

But I DO have my opinion about that.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Deidre32

Tonight's episode...epic AF! Wow, soooo good! There are series that I always imagine changing something, but not this.

What I think is intriguing about GoT, is that it depicts everyday life today, only with dragons. And white walkers. And primal lust. And medieval undertones. And...

I love it.

Hydra009

I'd like to add a bit more on my last post:

Another part of the appeal of GoT is that this represents a huge change in how fantasy TV shows are produced.  For a very long time, fantasy TV shows did not have big enough budgets to hire good actors or do much in the way of special effects.

[spoiler]
This is what centaurs looked like in the 90s.[/spoiler]

Then HBO announces they're doing this big-budget, film-quality adaptation of a fantasy book series.  The one with a staggering number of characters in varied locales and gigantic, effects-heavy battles.  It was ambitious as hell for 2011.

You can really tell that a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into the production - everything from costumes to sets to the gigantic battles with a bunch of real horses.

It's very reminiscent of LOTR in terms of production as well as the setting.  From what I've read, they tried to top Rome in terms of production quality.  They succeeded!

Mr.Obvious

S7e4

[spoiler]So far, the best episode of the season, imho. Liked the dialogue, the interactions, the sense of tension and dread. And the field of fire was pretty damn epic.
I only have one little nitpick. And I have to have one of those because I hold GoT to such a high regard. My friend brought it up first, asking if I thought Bronn was being too much of a 'superman'.
Now... I can understand his character leaving the gold behind. It's of no use to him if he's dead. I can see him even wielding the scorpion rather than fleeing the overwhelming odds because he can't escape with that dragon flying about. But he would not have jumped in front of a firespewing dragon to save Jaime Lannister. I like Bronn. I do. But he's the guy that refused to fight the mountain for Tyrion Lannister. He would not risk his own life like that for Jaime. At least, that's what I think.[/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

It would be hard to beat Rome (the series).  Et Tu ... Hydra?  There should have been a longer final season for Rome (the series).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 07, 2017, 03:19:53 AMS7e4

[spoiler]So far, the best episode of the season, imho. Liked the dialogue, the interactions, the sense of tension and dread. And the field of fire was pretty damn epic.
I only have one little nitpick. And I have to have one of those because I hold GoT to such a high regard. My friend brought it up first, asking if I thought Bronn was being too much of a 'superman'.
Now... I can understand his character leaving the gold behind. It's of no use to him if he's dead. I can see him even wielding the scorpion rather than fleeing the overwhelming odds because he can't escape with that dragon flying about. But he would not have jumped in front of a firespewing dragon to save Jaime Lannister. I like Bronn. I do. But he's the guy that refused to fight the mountain for Tyrion Lannister. He would not risk his own life like that for Jaime. At least, that's what I think.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Bronn would've cut and run as soon as he saw the dragon.  He's a mercenary, not an action hero.  Like with Oberyn's trial, he's smart enough to not fight impossible battles.

This episode deployed character shields for both of them.  Jamie with the implausible last-second tackle and Bronn somehow dodging the dragonfire that blew up the scorpion. They both charge headlong into certain death and not die while the redshirts are mowed down in droves.

GoT's mantra is that anyone can die, but that's a lie.  Certain characters get in way over their heads and are spared while other characters, even relatively cautious ones, get blown away.  Author's fancy, not the circumstances, truly decides their fates.[/spoiler]

Sylar

[spoiler="7x4"]"Chaos is a ladder." -- Bran

Favorite single moment in the season this far.

Runner-up:
Jon Snow: 10,000? Less?
Ser Davos: Fewer.
Jon Snow: What?

And I also share the sentiment of all of you (minus @Cavebear :D) that this was the best episode so far -- and it's only going to get better. Have you seen the preview? I cannot wait. Saw the preview and immediately called/texted friends so we can have a party and watch it together. We will be playing GOT Risk, make some foods from GOT, and of course watch the new episode.[/spoiler]
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde