News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I kinda liked the new episode.  Just seeing all the characters again was great.  It feels like it's been ages since the last season.

[spoiler]Arya is pretty much the Grim Reaper at this point.  The logistics of pulling that off seem a big daunting (she posed as Lord Frey for days, summoned all the Freys, and no one was a no-show?) but whatever writes the Freys out of the story is fine by me.  And she comes across the nicest Lannister soldiers in all of Westeroes.  I wonder what dark fate is in store for them.

I really wish Hodor was in that panning shot of the undead army.

Sansa actually made a great point.  The traitors' lands should be divied up among the loyalists.  And she correctly points out that Jon doesn't reward loyalty nor punish disloyalty - an extremely dangerous position for a leader to take.  If he hadn't already on the receiving end of a mutiny, I'd predict one in his future.  But since the King of the North isn't a Stark and everyone's cool with that, it's safe to say that people's natural inclinations are no longer a factor in this story.

Euron in King's Landing would be pretty cool if it wasn't just him (would it be too much to ask for some extras to wear some kraken armor behind him?) and he didn't look like Trent Reznor.  He went from this to this.  If he wasn't addressed by name, I wouldn't think it was the same person.

And how'd the Black Fleet get to King's Landing?  Did they sail around Dorne and past Dragonstone to tell Cersei that they want to smash Dany's fleet headed to Dragonstone?  I may not be the best captain in Westeroes, but I think I can figure out where to sail.  At the very least, I'd try to beat Dany to the punch, denying her safe harbor.  (We know the Dothraki are a seafearing people and that the narrow sea is frequently racked by storms, so it's pretty much a no-brainer)  Instead, she walks right up to the Dragonstone castle without even a token force guarding it.  WTF.

I'm glad the Brotherhood without Banners are back in the picture and soon to join Jon's budding coalition.  But I dunno about the wisdom of asking the Hound to stare into the flames.  It's pretty amazing that he actually looked.  I would totally dare Beric to prank the Hound by pushing him from behind as he stares.  *insert Jackass music*

Sam apparently has a shit memory because that Dragonglass discussion with Stannis was incredibly important and he forgot it for 2 seasons.  (The truth is likely that the writers forgot about it for 2 seasons)

I liked Sam's bedpan and stew montage.  It really paired well with the soup I was eating at the time.  Thanks.

But seriously, I actually really like Oldtown and the Maesters.  I hope to see a lot more of them.  I just hope we can skip the bedpan stuff from now on.

Also, Sam is super dead for stealing that key.  He's also super dead for stealing that sword.  If there's any justice left in the world, he's in for a world of hurt in the future.[/spoiler]

simplyalex

I need to deactivate my facebook as I am seeing a lot GOT spoilers post. There are times wherein I want to unfriend most of my friends.

Hydra009

Quote from: simplyalex on July 17, 2017, 10:04:10 PMI need to deactivate my facebook as I am seeing a lot GOT spoilers post. There are times wherein I want to unfriend most of my friends.
There's so much coverage that if GRR Martin stubs his toe Tuesday morning, the whole world knows it by lunch.  I basically stay off the internet until I'm up to date.

Cavebear

Spoiler alert.  People die...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

7x02

[spoiler]Varys is so full of it!  "The Tyrells and the Martells believe in you."  Bullshit!  They mostly just want Cersei dead, and they'll side with anyone to accomplish that.  Varys says he serves the people, but he mostly seems to wants power/influence with a king/queen.  That's why he backs Dany.  He'd have more influence over her than anyone else.  He's self-serving.  He makes it sound so pure and noble.  He's probably even convinced himself.  But it's not the whole truth.

And Dany is horrible for threatening him.  "Betray me and I'll burn you alive."  "Send Jon in to bend the knee."  WTF is wrong with her?!  She treats with people like an overlord, not a leader.  If she tries to rule with a mailed fist, she won't rule long.

And while I'm on my weekly anti-Dany rant, I feel that Cersei's speech against her actually makes a few really good points.  Dany's brutality is legendary.  And Dothraki screamers are unlikely to live peaceably amongst Westerosi.  If I were there, I'd side against Dany just because of the foreign army threatening my homeland.  Though I would be incredibly reluctant to strike the first blow against the dragons.  Definitely an ideal time to steal a page from the Frey/Lannister playbook and wait a while and figure out who's going to win before marching to war.  Better to be a Late Walder Frey than an early Harren the Black.

Randal Tarly throwing shade with the Red Wedding reference!  And you'd think Jamie Lannister of all people would have more sympathy for people with conflicting oaths.

I dunno about Qyburn's test firing.  Don't skulls become more brittle with age?  Plus, that's a relic of extreme historical significance, not a clay pigeon.  And finally, whoever's manning that thing is only ever going to get one shot.  Imho, he just build a Schwerer Gustav.  Absurdly powerful, but impractical.

Olenna made some great points to Dany, but I dunno if ignoring Tyrion was one of them.  Seems to me that if you ignore wise men and foolish men, you learn nothing.

I really hope Sam isn't treating Jorah with the same gloves he uses to clean bedpans.  And that scene transition!  *vomits*

The Ironborn are so unbelievably badass!  Now those are the Ironborn I remember from the books!

*Euron kills Sandsnake, hoisting her into the air*
"My boyfriend said this was a superhero movie but that guy in the suit just turned that other guy into a fucking kebab!" XD

And that very last frame would make for an excellent 4X defeat screen.[/spoiler]

Deidre32

Love where they're going with this, and loved the ending. I think it was more believable to see Theon such a state. I wonder if Jon Snow and Dany will hook up? Hmmm...
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Hydra009

Quote from: Deidre32 on July 25, 2017, 08:37:38 AMI wonder if Jon Snow and Dany will hook up? Hmmm...
To paraphrase Rawrist:  I want Jon to do the horizontal shuffle with Dany then figure out that she's his aunt.  He's horrified but she has no problem at all with it.  Because that's just how Targaryens roll.

Sylar

Hahahaha

[spoiler][/spoiler]
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Hydra009

Quote from: Sylar on July 25, 2017, 07:10:28 PM
Hahahaha

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]Apparently, that scene was somewhat controversial.  Some people were disgusted by Theon's cowardice, but imo it wasn't cowardice.  It was a calculated decision.

If he fought Euron, Euron would've slit Yara's throat immediately and then would've undoubtedly defeated Theon.  Jumping ship was the only option that gave him even a small chance of saving Yara's life.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Sylar

Season 2, Episode 1: The North Remembers

Melisandre says: "Lord of Light, come to us in our darkness. We offer you these false gods. Take them and cast your light upon us, for the night is dark and full of terrors. After the long summer, darkness will fall heavy on the world. The stars will bleed. The cold breath of winter will freeze the seas... and the dead shall rise in the North."

Remember this as you watch Season 7.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Sylar

I am really excited for the reunion between Ser Davos and Red Woman. Can't wait to see what's gunna happen.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sylar on July 28, 2017, 05:09:57 PM
I am really excited for the reunion between Ser Davos and Red Woman. Can't wait to see what's gunna happen.
She has a name.  :P

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers