News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Yeah, that reveal was a big punch in the gut to me, too.  Best episode of the season so far.

You know what's really screwed up about it?

[spoiler]Hodor's heroic sacrifice might not have even been in any way voluntary.  He might be holding the door open purely because he's being forced to by Bran, staring in horror as the wights rip into his flesh, knowing they're going to kill him and unable to do a thing about it.

And even death gives him no peace.  As a new addition to the ranks of the undead, he's mentally puppeteered by yet another psychic overlord.  Once more, he trudges through the snow as a broken man, but this time with neither a will nor a life of his own.  Internally, he begs for death, but he begs in vain.  Winter has come for him - without remorse or pity, the life of a slave as endless as the land of always winter.  As he lurches through the snow, the only indication that there's still a man behind those lifeless dead eyes are the bitters tears falling into his footprints.[/spoiler]

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2016, 02:12:44 PM
Yeah, that reveal was a big punch in the gut to me, too.  Best episode of the season so far.

You know what's really screwed up about it?

[spoiler]Hodor's heroic sacrifice might not have even been in any way voluntary.  He might be holding the door open purely because he's being forced to by Bran, staring in horror as the wights rip into his flesh, knowing they're going to kill him and unable to do a thing about it.

And even death gives him no peace.  As a new addition to the ranks of the undead, he's mentally puppeteered by yet another psychic overlord.  Once more, he trudges through the snow as a broken man, but this time with neither a will nor a life of his own.  Internally, he begs for death, but it never comes.[/spoiler]

*gets on floor
Tries not to cry.
Cries a lot*
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

stromboli

I will settle for Ramsay Bolton getting what he has coming. Might involve hungry dogs.....

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on June 16, 2016, 02:33:29 PM
I will settle for Ramsay Bolton getting what he has coming. Might involve hungry dogs.....
If he doesn't die by the end of the season, I'll be very upset.

Hydra009

Well, I am not upset.  In fact, I am very, very pleased.  :)

This episode more than makes up for last week's poor performance.  We finally get the bloodletting we so crave.  As much as I like the speeches and small talk, the battles are what I tune in for.  And I've seen feature films with less of a budget than the episode I just watched.

[spoiler]I liked the Meereen battle far more than I thought I would.  Though I was a bit miffed that Tyrion and Dany would talk strats while being bombarded.  Definitely not the time for that.  Silence the guns, then talk all you'd like.

And 3 dragons on one ship was overkill.  They're clearly not built for defense.  Setting them alight at all is enough to sink em.  (Those siege ships would've been unsuitable for a fleet engagement.  The fact that Meereen's harbor mysteriously exploded while the siege ships were in transit speaks of masterful planning and coordination.)

I loved the fact that they spared the man who knelt.  Grey Worm was awesome there.

Now, to the North.  I thought it was weird that Sansa was so pissed at Jon at the war council.  She's mad at him for not asking for her input, then Jon says he's all ears and she doesn't give him much to work with.  Why not tell him about your trump card?

As for the battle itself, Jon commanded horribly.  Ramsay, ironically, led his troops like a skilled commander should - not dodging arrows and wading in the muck, but barking orders and deploying his army effectively.  The Bolton army used amazing tactics.  Jon's army, not so much.  He was lucky as hell that Sansa's reinforcements arrived just in time (though a little earlier would've been nice, Jon's army probably lost anywhere from half to two-thirds of its fighting strength).

I'm puzzled that Mel was benched the entire episode.  Surely, she could've done something to help.  At the Blackwater, she was all "I could have prevented this" and now, at an actual battle, she doesn't do squat.  What gives?  Book Mel at least spontaneously incinerated a wildling warg's eagle while he was warged into it and gave Stannis's forces a morale boost.

Unfortunately, the show has skipped over the awesome Lord Manderly scenes from the book.  If you're a show-only person, I strongly recommend checking out A Dance with Dragons.  Grab the audiobook.  Warg into someone and get them to read the book.  Use a glass candle on someone reading the book aloud.  Do whatever you have to do, just read it.  You will like the main course, I promise.

And finally, let it be known to Gods and men that Stromboli totally called it.  Death by dogs.  Good ol' poetic justice.  I'd like to think King Stannis gives his approval of the battle's outcome from beyond the grave:

[/spoiler]

stromboli

For once I anticipated what would happen and it did

[spoiler]I figured Littlefinger would come riding in and save them right at the critical time and that's what happened. And Ramsay getting et by his dogs was poetic justice, totally. Even figured the Dothraki would come riding in en masse and end the battle.

Easily the best episode as far as people getting what they deserved. [/spoiler]

Can't wait for the finale. Ought to be good.

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on June 20, 2016, 02:07:23 AMCan't wait for the finale. Ought to be good.
Since you had such a great prediction, I give one of my own:

[spoiler]Cersei burns King's Landing to the ground.  Also, Brienne and Jamie have a run-in with the Brotherhood Without Banners.  Not fatal, but one or both of them is going to get seriously hurt.

Speaking of Brienne, she didn't take part in this battle either and she's a Hound-tier soldier.  She could've taken down 50 Boltons.  Plus, Tormund would've chopped the codpiece off any Bolton man within 20 feet of her.  It probably would've been a good idea to wait for her to return before fighting the Boltons.[/spoiler]

SGOS

I watched the first two seasons, bought the third, and never finished watching the set.  I was very interested at first, but then just lost interest.  An odd turn of events, since I didn't dislike it.  But every time I would say to myself, "I should finish watching the third season," I just couldn't muster the interest to sit down and do it.  The three season set is sitting in front of me now on the shelf.  It's been there for 3 or 4 years untouched. 

Hydra009

Season 3 was great.  Especially episode 9!

Though the first few episodes were somewhat of a lull after the epic battle of season 2, so being bored initially isn't uncommon.  But things pick up and there are major character moments throughout the second half of that season.  That whole season is not for the squeamish, either.

It's only in season 5 that things start slipping.  But even then, it's mostly just certain plotlines and episodes rather than the entire show.

SGOS

Well, I guess I better dust it off and finish watching the rest of season 3. 

I was luke warm on Breaking Bad at first, but as it progressed, I liked it more and more.  I own all the episodes now, and have watched it maybe 5 times.

On the other end of the phenomenon, I enjoyed season 4 of American Horror Story (Asylum).  For some reason, I watched season 4 first on Amazon.  I tried season 1 and didn't finish it.  Then I bought Asylum for myself.  Thinking season 1 was just a flop, I went out and bought season 3, Freak Show.  But after watching half of it, I don't think I'll finish that one.  It's gory and emotionally disturbing enough, but the story just kind of flops around and doesn't seem go anywhere.  The actors even seem bored with the whole project.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

stromboli

[spoiler]Margaery could engineer both Tommen and Cersei's death- him first- and that would fulfill the toad's prophecy to Cersei. It is possible as queen and the sole regent she, now in command of the King's guard, could order the Sparrow and minions out. Poison certainly is within her milieu. The rose picture is the sigil of House Tyrell she gave to Olenna. Olenna immediately took her advice and left. Margaery wanted her family out of the way if possible. Tommen is toast, this season or the next. I think Cersei might still be around next season because she is too central to the story, along with Jaime. Cersei has got to suffer some more, methinks.

question whether Arya will be in the last episode because her situation is basically resolved. Still the issue of Bran getting settled and prepared to battle the White Walkers. also feel that Daenerys' situation is mostly tied up, since she has reclaimed the Dothraki and has everything well in control.

I think it quite possible some characters will pop up, including some or one of Robert Baratheon's 16 bastard kids. And is Sansa pregnant? One scene when she was at the Black Castle she was making new clothes for herself. Might be some significance as Ramsay Bolton's only heir, which would give her the Boltons on a platter, since they are in complete disarray and there is no other heir. A lot could happen. We'll see.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on June 21, 2016, 11:34:40 PM
Rip
[spoiler]It was pretty strange how Ramsay took his desperation shot at Wun Wun and not Jon.  He had a free shot on both of them, and he picked Wun Wun.  If he had killed Jon, it'd be a pyrrhic victory for the Starks.  If he had killed Wun Wun, it'd just be one less giant (of Seven knows how many) in the Wildling army.

Also, the show has been really prolific with the deaths this season.  And I can't help but think a lot of it is just to tie up loose ends or to get rid of characters who are no longer needed.

And GoT's huge cast, much like the small council, is getting smaller all the time.  During season 2 and 3, I could barely keep up with the names and faces.  Now, it's pretty much just the 4 Starks, 3 Lannisters, and Dany with their associated minor characters.  And the locales have be winnowed down more or less to the North, King's Landing, and Meereen.  Eventually, as Dany finally heads west, it'll just be two or one left at the show draws to a close.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

[spoiler]
Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2016, 12:05:09 AMMargaery could engineer both Tommen and Cersei's death- him first- and that would fulfill the toad's prophecy to Cersei. It is possible as queen and the sole regent she, now in command of the King's guard, could order the Sparrow and minions out. Poison certainly is within her milieu. The rose picture is the sigil of House Tyrell she gave to Olenna. Olenna immediately took her advice and left. Margaery wanted her family out of the way if possible. Tommen is toast, this season or the next. I think Cersei might still be around next season because she is too central to the story, along with Jaime. Cersei has got to suffer some more, methinks.
Cersei and the Sparrows have got to come to a head.  The whole season has been building up to that.  She's going to have her trial and crap is going to hit the fan.  Margaery might come out on top, but I doubt she can really do much except save herself and maybe her brother.  Tommen might be okay, as neither side wants to hurt him.  But King's Landing is going to burn for sure, and it's anyone's guess who makes it out alive.  The only sure fatality is the High Sparrow, imo.

Quotequestion whether Arya will be in the last episode because her situation is basically resolved.
When Mel met her, she said they'd meet again.  And Arya still has at least one more set of eyes to put out...

QuoteStill the issue of Bran getting settled and prepared to battle the White Walkers.
Yeah, I dunno where he's supposed to find sanctuary.  Maybe at Castle Black, if he can make it there.

Quotealso feel that Daenerys' situation is mostly tied up, since she has reclaimed the Dothraki and has everything well in control.
Looks like she's finally going to set sail.  She's done all she can to fix things at Meereen.  And she can't stay there forever.  She'll have to hand off authority to some sort of governor in her stead.

QuoteI think it quite possible some characters will pop up, including some or one of Robert Baratheon's 16 bastard kids.
All of them are dead except Gendry.  There's a very slim chance he could show up in a Brotherhood Without Banners scene.

QuoteAnd is Sansa pregnant?
Gods, I hope not!  How much time has passed since she jumped the wall?  It feels like forever.  Theon has traveled from Winterfell to Pyke to Volantis to Meereen.  Gotta be at least a two or three months, minimum.  She'd likely be showing by now if she were pregnant.[/spoiler]