Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 07, 2016, 03:31:49 AM
GET HYPE!

[spoiler]Bronn interrupts the "a Lannister always--" line and deserves to have a statue built to his likeness.

Margaery was great as always.  Last episode had me worried for her sanity.  Good to know that she's still growing strong.

Meanwhile, Arya is having a rough time.  Starks sure have a knack for getting into trouble.

A little bird told me the craziest theory about Arya.  Arya is Arya, but Arya is also the waif.  The waif is Arya's Tyler Durden.

Think about it.  No one ever interacts with the waif but Arya and Jaqen.  Not even a glance when she's beating Arya up in broad daylight.  It's like she's invisible.  The waif knows everything there is to know about Arya, while her own her character is obscured.  The waif is truly no one in a way that Arya can never be.  Arya has been trying to become the waif, but she is torn between both personalities.  That's why the waif wants Arya dead and Jaqen gives permission without hesitation or displeasure.  (Otherwise, training and then killing a new recruit is an enormous waste)  In truth, it wasn't the waif asking, it was Arya asking to kill her inner self to finally complete her training.[/spoiler]

Interesting theory. I haven't given the Waif that much of an impact on the story, but the way everything has become so convoluted it could happen.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 07, 2016, 03:31:49 AM
GET HYPE!

[spoiler]Bronn interrupts the "a Lannister always--" line and deserves to have a statue built to his likeness.

Margaery was great as always.  Last episode had me worried for her sanity.  Good to know that she's still growing strong.

Meanwhile, Arya is having a rough time.  Starks sure have a knack for getting into trouble.

A little bird told me the craziest theory about Arya.  Arya is Arya, but Arya is also the waif.  The waif is Arya's Tyler Durden.

Think about it.  No one ever interacts with the waif but Arya and Jaqen.  Not even a glance when she's beating Arya up in broad daylight.  It's like she's invisible.  The waif knows everything there is to know about Arya, while her own her character is obscured.  The waif is truly no one in a way that Arya can never be.  Arya has been trying to become the waif, but she is torn between both personalities.  That's why the waif wants Arya dead and Jaqen gives permission without hesitation or displeasure.  (Otherwise, training and then killing a new recruit is an enormous waste)  In truth, it wasn't the waif asking, it was Arya asking to kill her inner self to finally complete her training.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

First rule of the faceless men.
You don't talk about the faceless men.
Second rule of the faceless men.
YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACELESS MEN.

[/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

[spoiler]I saw an article on Huffpost also making the Tyler Durden comparison, so either that is your "little birdie" or you are psychic.  :biggrin:[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on June 07, 2016, 11:04:27 AM
[spoiler]I saw an article on Huffpost also making the Tyler Durden comparison, so either that is your "little birdie" or you are psychic.  :biggrin:[/spoiler]
It's from the reddit thread.  The more show-your-source news outlets link the reddit thread.  The ones that are the news equivalent of 9gag don't.

Hydra009

Before we get to the next episode, there's still some stuff from the last one that's bugging me:

[spoiler]Some of the Wildlings view Jon Snow as some sort of god, and Mel says he's The Prince That Was Promised, yet when he asks the wildlings to fight alongside him, they're awfully reluctant.  What's up with that?

Besides, they know they're going to have to fight Northerners anyway.  It's not like the northern lords would be cool with a horde of wildling raiders setting up camp in the Gift.

During Jon and Sansa's recruitment drive, no one brings up that Jon is a deserter or that Sansa is wanted for regicide.

"You want me to join you in war?  The Lord Commander of the Night's Watch?  Isn't that against your oath?"
"It's fine, I left the watch."
"Left the watch?"
"Yeah.  I died and technically, the oath is until death..."
"You died?  You seem alive to me."
"Well...I got better."
"Better?  How?!"
"The Red Woman brought me back to life."
"A sorceress used her dark magic to create an abomination?!  Seize him and cut off his head!"

"And you lady Stark, you're wanted for poisoning the King.  Cersei would pay good money for you."
"I didn't do it, I swear"
"Mayhap, but a thousand gold dragons is a thousand gold dragons.  That gold could buy a lot of grain and steel.  It's as your family says, 'Winter is coming'"[/spoiler]

stromboli

[spoiler]Question I had is what Myrcella is up to. As queen, could she have Tommen killed and assume authority? If so, she could order the Sparrow out of King's Landing. Maybe make it look like the Sparrow or one of his minions did it. She could also do what she wants with Cersei.

Samwell stole the Valyrian steel sword Heartsbane. Don't know if this could be Lightbringer, Azor Ahai's sword, but I think it will play a part in some future event.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on June 12, 2016, 04:55:24 PM
[spoiler]Question I had is what Myrcella is up to. As queen, could she have Tommen killed and assume authority? If so, she could order the Sparrow out of King's Landing. Maybe make it look like the Sparrow or one of his minions did it. She could also do what she wants with Cersei.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Do you mean Margaery?  My answer assumes you did.  If I'm mistaken, I'll make another go at it.

The King has ultimate authority but a Queen can rule as Regent, as Cersei did after Robert died until Joffrey turned 16 and formally became king.  I doubt Margaery could pull off some sort of coup.  Right now, she see's more preoccupied with the safety and freedom of her house.  But if the conflict between the Sparrows and the remaining Lannisters were to turn into bloodshed, well, House Tyrell could come to the rescue as always.  Though sadly, they'd be unable to save King Tommen's life.  The throne could then pass to a more worthy House...[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]Samwell stole the Valyrian steel sword Heartsbane. Don't know if this could be Lightbringer, Azor Ahai's sword, but I think it will play a part in some future event.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Maybe...

I vehemently doubt this theory, btw.  Sam's role is more like his LOTR namesake.  He's a reluctant hero who helps the main protagonist save the day.[/spoiler]

stromboli

Yeah I meant Margaery. Sorry.

Hydra009

It's okay, but man, I have some serious misgivings about S6E8.

[spoiler]Jamie straight up says that Sansa is an outlaw.  I wish D&D could've remembered that when Littlefinger took her to brunch at an inn and then married her off in the most publicized wedding in the North since the Red Wedding.  That idiotic plan made no sense even by Littlefinger standards.

I found this latest round of awkward silence between Tyrion, Grey Worm, and Missandei to be amusing (I react to alcohol about the same way as Grey Worm), but I shudder to think the sorts of scenes that probably got cut for this padding.

Jamie only cares about Cersei.  Take that, Jamie character development since season 1.

I'm kind of disappointed with the events in King's Landing.  I was anticipating Cersei saying "I choose violence" to kick off a major bloodletting.  Nope.  Instead, one guy gets his head ripped off and that's the end of that.  Such a tease.

Riverrun?  More like Riveroverrun.  The Blackfish was an idiot for not fleeing.  Also, any word if the Tully army made it out of there in one piece?  Cause the footage was kinda ambiguous.

Man, those slaver ships are kickass.  A trebuchet on every ship?  Impressive.

The Arya plot.  First off, I loved the initial confrontation.  I got a really strong T-1000 vibe from the Waif, too.  But then there's the chase through the marketplace and acrobatics...it's just so, so Hollywoodish.  And GRR tends to break tropes and go for a more grim and gritty plot.  Plus, I could've sworn it was against the House of Black and White's assassin's creed to do their killing out in the open like that.  I could've sworn they were supposed to be way more discreet.  This just isn't their style.  Exciting, in a Hollywood way, but not true to character.

And the final resolution to it all just kinda pissed me off.  Arya struggling for two seasons to become a fully fledged assassin all coming to naught.  What a waste.  I'm glad she's going back home, but it seems all she did as a character was become a better killer.  Same with Sandor, who seemingly became more peaceful only to go right back to being a murder machine.  Even Jon came back from the grave without much an impact on his character.  It's really frustrating to watch these characters go through stuff that you think will change them and they come out of it completely unchanged.  Hopefully, their book counterparts will be more dynamic.[/spoiler]

stromboli

Agree with everything you posted; I'm waiting for the book as well. One of the problems with any TV movie presentation is you have to try to get everything in a well defined time frame and package it. I can understand why Martin is taking so long to write the books, but personally wish he'd had the foresight to be about one book further ahead than he was when the TV series started. That explains to me why the problem resolutions go the way they did, to tie off lose ends. They made a major blunder concerning the Sand sisters and the death of Trystane.

And the reintroduction of Sandor Clegane  opens up some questions as to future plot development. I have a feeling he and Arya are going to hook up again. I fear the last episodes are going to be more anticlamactic rather than revealing any new surprises. But we will see. Maybe they will spring some surprises on us. 

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on June 13, 2016, 10:26:10 AMAgree with everything you posted; I'm waiting for the book as well.
I don't even know if I agree with everything I said.  I was pretty harsh, maybe unnecessarily so.  It was off the cuff and born of frustration.

The bottom line is that I expected big payoffs with these characters that never really materialized.  Maybe I just had overly high expectations or maybe the show has outpaced the source material to such a degree that D&D is essentially flying blind and had to wrap things up the best they could.  Even so, it's strange how we can have amazing episodes with incredible reveals and then have other episodes that either plod along or resolve really poorly.

A couple people in my family can't get into the show (strong aversion to fantasy) but want to hear about it so I break it down for them.  Honestly, my summaries make the show seem pretty bad.

[spoiler]A Dornish prince voluntarily takes part in a trial by combat and dies.  His bastard children are pissed, want revenge, and to go to war.  The prince's brother won't go to war, so they kill him and his son.

Sansa is a highborn lady who wants to be a pretty princess.  She thinks the prince is lovely, but he turns out to be a sadistic monster.  She's abused horribly for a long time.  Then she finally makes it out of the city.  She's really grown as a character, learning courtly intrigue and real politik and becoming a stronger person.  Then she voluntarily marries a guy who has a reputation of being a complete monster and goes right back to being a victim.

Sam's dad is an asshole who declares that his son will never have his house's badass ancestral sword.  That's not so bad, because Sam is going to study at the university and doesn't need a sword there.  Sam is pissed at his dad and steals the sword.

Dany and her band of Dothraki wander through the desert and they're on the verge of dying.  But she finds a big city.  They won't open the gates to her, so she threatens to kill them.  They let her in but someone steals her dragons.  Then the thief overthrows the city's leadership and captures Dany.  She kills him.  Next, Dany meets some slavers.  She kills them and takes their army.  She lays siege to a slaver city.  She converts some of their mercenaries to her cause, then kills the slavers.  She comes across another slaver city and you guessed it, kills their leaders.  But she wants to rule this city.  They resist her rule, so she feeds some of them to her dragons.  Shockingly, they still resist her rule and eventually she flies away and is captured by Dothraki.  So she kills their leaders and takes their army.  She's a good guy and is greatly admired by fans.

Arya trains to be an assassin.  She washes a lot of corpses.  They teach her a lot of skills besides killing - how to lie and detect lying, how to gather information, how to blend in in a crowd, how to assume a new identity, etc.  Her mentor explains how the assassin's guild works.  They're dispassionate, impersonal killers who excel at doing it quietly and discreetly.  They have no compunction about killing, they're given a target and take it out without hesitation or remorse.  They tell her to kill someone and she hesitates and decides not to do it.  They try to kill her and she knows they're after her.  She has her guard up that night.  The next day, she lets her guard down completely and is non-fatally stabbed several times by an assassin.  Arya gets medical care, but the assassin finds her.  Arya runs and the assassin chases her through the marketplace.  Arya kills the assassin, so the assassin's guild wants to make her a full member.  But she doesn't want to be an assassin anymore and leaves.[/spoiler]

stromboli

All to be resolved in the next 2 episodes. Or maybe not. :biggrin:

Hydra009

Next episode gives us the much-anticipated [spoiler]Bastardbowl, so that'll be interesting.[/spoiler]

I don't think I've ever cheered on the Starks before, so this'll be a new experience for me.  Here's to hoping the protagonists win for a change and that it's adapted well from the source material.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit