News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

[spoiler]Well...fuck.  Stannis really took it up the shorts.  Apparently, going all Mad King with the fires and burning a perfectly innocent princess (instead of just the screw-ups and people who won't bow before either Stannis or the Red God) doesn't exactly inspire loyalty.  RIP Team Stannis.  At least Mel and Davos are safe.  Wonder what they're going to do.  Davos could probably do quite well for himself at Castle Black.  Mel could probably help against the walkers, but I dunno if she could get along with infidels to the Red God.

Samwell is off to Oldtown.  Good.  Since his boat has one less passenger, hopefully they'll skip the boring parts (almost all of it) and get right to the good stuff with the Maesters.

Theon finally grows a pair (figuratively).  Glad to see that he finally remembers who he is.

Arya.  Jesus fucking Christ.  Arya fucking annihilates Ser Pedo.  Mel was right about her plucking out eyes.  God damn.  Quintin Tarantino is probably looking at that scene and thinking it's too violent.  "What happened to his hands?"  "I kinda cooked them up and ate them.  My stomach was making the rumblies that only hands would satisfy."  "What is wrong with you?"  "Well...I kill people and eat hands.  That's two things."

I wonder how Team Dany made it out of that coliseum.  Oh well.  Now Sir Barristan can finally take out Hizdahr and ready the city for the army from Yun...nevermind.  Well, at least we get to see more Varys.  Tyrion and Varys 2016.  Party platform:  tits and wine.

Dany is out in the middle of nowhere.  And she's nearly instantly surrounded by Dothraki.  Damn, that was fast.  Either some unknown Khal is psychic or they read the script.

Bloody hell.  I did not expect that scene with Marcella.  I guess war it is, then.  I prefer the book version of this, though.  In the books, Marcella is okay(ish), but Doran comes clean and lets the captured Sand Snakes know his much more subtle plan against the Lannisters.  It reveals what kind of man he really is - a lot like Varys, actually.  An exceedingly patient long-term planner and definitely not as weak as he seems.  I worry that the show-watchers will just think that Doran is a weak-willed leader who can't even keep his own people in line.

Cersei finally gets her just desserts.  Glorious.  Simply glorious.  This scene is exactly like I remember in the books.  I laughed at her so hard that my side started cramping.  This is 100 times better than when Tyrion slapped Joffrey.  I could watch this all day.  It's also funny how some of the Sparrows fuck up some of the more unruly people in the mob.  I dunno, maybe I'm messed up, but that whole scene is comedy gold.  Plus, the whole end to it with Qyburn is great.  Clegane Bowl confirmed.

Jon Snow finally got what was coming to him.  I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time, you had to have known this was coming.  Master Aemon probably couldn't seen that coming. 

I really miss the pink letter (aka the bastard letter) scene.  It was one hell of a shocking moment in the books, but without the glamor plot and already knowing how the Battle for Winterfell turns out, I can see why they cut it.

But why must you tease us with Uncle Benjen?  *cries*[/spoiler]

PopeyesPappy

Fuck it. I am now rooting for the white walkers because there is no one left in Westeros worth saving.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

TomFoolery

[spoiler]
Quote from: PopeyesPappy on June 15, 2015, 10:25:41 AM
Fuck it. I am now rooting for the white walkers because there is no one left in Westeros worth saving.

With the rather secondary exception of Stannis' wife, all of the deaths portrayed in last night's episode leave them up to interpretation as to whether or not they actually happened.

I mean, yeah, it looks bad when you jump from a wall, get stabbed a bunch of times, and have Brienne of Tarth swing a sword in your general direction, but we never saw bodies. Just sayin'.[/spoiler]
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

[spoiler]I seriously, seriously doubt Stannis is still alive.  He ded.  Liek so dead.  However, Jon might live.  His fate is undetermined in the books.  If I were Kit Harrington, this would be my reaction.  "Look at my eyes, I am dead serious.  Write him back in!"

But there are still good characters left in Westeroes:

* Davos
* Jamie and Bronn
* Briennne and Pod
* Sansa and Theon
* House Martell
* House Tyrell
* Tommen
* Samwell and the maesters living in Oldtown (You'll see)[/spoiler]

Atheon

[spoiler]After licking the floor and having her boobs and pubes exposed to the whole city, Cersei is going to get her some revenge![/spoiler]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

[spoiler]Fan theory:  Melisandre uses her magic to resurrect Jon like Thoros of Myr did with Dondarrion.  That's the only reason I can see for the writers to put her at Castle Black instead of hightailing it back to Essos.

Points for:

*  Mel sees Jon in her visions all the friggin' time, so his character can't be dead because he's featured in future events.  True, she said the same thing about Stannis, but her vision was specifically about Bolton banners burning brightly (beneath beautiful beech boughs, I might add) not necessarily about Stannis being there to witness it.  Her vision was true, but misinterpreted.  Her character states this outright in both the books and the TV show for a reason.  She says, "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R’hllor shows me only Snow".  Jon also dreams about fighting the Others with a flaming sword.  Taken together, they seem like a strong indicator that Jon will become Azor Ahai.  (Though Dany has an arguably better claim to that title).  Either way, he's important in the war against the walkers, and obviously, that can't happen if he's dead.

*  Additionally, and this is admittedly a pretty dubious claim, is that Jon can't really be dead because he's one of two characters who ultimately resolve the war against the whitewalkers.  Jon is the Ice and Daenerys is the Fire in the Song of Ice and Fire.  The story is ultimately about them.  Therefore, neither can die before its conclusion.  (The implications here are that Dany eventually does make landfall in Westeroes, her forces successfully occupy the capital, and she eventually marries Jon, which would also require that R+L=J.  Any one of these events not taking place would cast doubt on if not outright falsify this argument.)

Points against:

* Kit Harrington said that his character is dead for real.  However, this could not necessarily be true.

I dunno, maybe I've been watching too many Preston Jacobs videos and I've gone completely off my rocker (plus, I might be making the monumental mistake of propping up a shaky theory with even shakier ones) but dammit, this is the only resolution to this show left that would simultaneously wrap things up, would make any sense at all, and would give some sort of solace to fans.[/spoiler]

Shiranu

[spoiler]I am just going to say it... I honestly do believe Snow is dead-dead. I feel that so much stuff pointing to him still being alive/revived is just George R.R. Martin fucking with everyone to make it seem like he has a chance... to make his death that much more dramatic because no one wanted to believe it.

I also feel like season 6 first or second scene will be the decapitated head of Stannis. I think they left it open to interpretation on if he died to, again, just get everyone's hopes up... and then after the months and months of waiting, a punch in the face of his definite dead-ness.[/spoiler]
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 18, 2015, 01:50:52 AM[spoiler]I also feel like season 6 first or second scene will be the decapitated head of Stannis. I think they left it open to interpretation on if he died to, again, just get everyone's hopes up... and then after the months and months of waiting, a punch in the face of his definite dead-ness.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I doubt they'll show his head, but Stannis is 100% dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWiXr870b58

The director said the reason they didn't show Stannis getting his head chopped off is because they didn't want it to be gratuitous.  He was already beaten and done.  It was very clear that he no longer had any sort of chance of survival by the time Brienne caught up with him.  So showing him actually die was unnecessary.

This being Game of Thrones, some people thought that not actually seeing him die was enough to suspect that he's still alive.  Well, Shireen is most assuredly dead and we didn't actually see her die, either.  Same with Xaro Xhoan Ducksauce and Robert Baratheon.[/spoiler]

Atheon

[spoiler]Next season: everyone gets killed off except Daenerys. As the sole remaining character in the story, she easily retakes the Iron Throne. The dragons finish off the White Walkers.[/spoiler]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 18, 2015, 02:16:39 AM
[spoiler]This being Game of Thrones, some people thought that not actually seeing him die was enough to suspect that he's still alive.  Well, Shireen is most assuredly dead and we didn't actually see her die, either.  Same with Xaro Xhoan Ducksauce and Robert Baratheon.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And Gregor Clegane is very much dead but did't stay that way, so... Also, in the books, Lady Stark: dead like Fred. Didn't stop her from continuing to live either. I don't dismiss the likelihood that Stannis is likely dead, but still, it's Game of Thrones. [/spoiler]
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

[spoiler]TV-only GoT fans wouldn't know about Catelyn Stark, though.  :P  But yeah, that's a fair point.  A couple characters definitely come back after being written off as dead.  And some don't.  With GRRM, you never know.  Hell, Benjen could still be out there.  But in Stannis' case, I think it's exactly like it appears.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

josephpalazzo

We're almost there for season 6. The teaser is out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmrA8nOZF2Q

Hydra009

The High Sparrow's words sent chills down me.  Also, an Other in an unexpected place.  Holy shit.

HBO also made some banner teasers and those are great, too.  It seems like every faction has an adversary that is their polar opposite.  Honor vs treachery.  The wealthy elite vs the mob.  Royalty vs barbarians.

I can't wait to see how it'll all turn out.  I hope it does justice to the book!