News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Afaik, this season will end roughly where the 4th book ended and season 6 will end roughly where the 5th book ended.  Season 7...R'hollor willing, GRRM will have a new book by then so there'll be something to film.

[spoiler]What's this about Samwell Tarly?! Last time, I checked, he's still following his book story arc.  Sam's scene at the Citadel and his enlightening encounter with a certain glassy-eyed Maester was one of my favorite scenes from the books.  If that scene gets cut, the tv show won't hold a candle to the books in my eyes.[/spoiler]

Aroura33

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 22, 2015, 05:15:04 PM
Afaik, this season will end roughly where the 4th book ended and season 6 will end roughly where the 5th book ended.  Season 7...R'hollor willing, GRRM will have a new book by then so there'll be something to film.

[spoiler]What's this about Samwell Tarly?! Last time, I checked, he's still following his book story arc.  Sam's scene at the Citadel and his enlightening encounter with a certain glassy-eyed Maester was one of my favorite scenes from the books.  If that scene gets cut, the tv show won't hold a candle to the books in my eyes.[/spoiler]
Wait wait, they can't do season 5 is book 4, and season 6 is book 5, because books 4 and 5 take place concurrently.  I mean, they end at roughly the same time period.  Book 4 DOES NOT even have Arya or Tyrion in it.  Their adventures take place in book 5, right?  Martin split up one massive book by characters.  Basically, he wrote book 4 around the Westeros Characters, and book 5 around the Bravoosi , free cities and slaver cities.

So we've already seen characters on both sides, from both books.  But maybe it will take them 2 seasons still to cover the stories taking place in both book, but I hope they do it more chronologically.  Actually, this might explain why we haven't seen the Iron Born yet.  If I'm not mistaken, the events that lead up to the big important thing there in that area really takes place near the end of this timeline, so they may end the season with that, or at least place it nearer the end of the season.
[spoiler]I'm also interested to see how they portray the Damphair and the Ironborn religion.  They've done great with the Red God, I hope they give equal time to the other cool gods.[/spoiler]

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 22, 2015, 05:29:09 PMWait wait, they can't do season 5 is book 4, and season 6 is book 5, because books 4 and 5 take place concurrently.
You're absolutely right.  I mean that the ending scene of book 4 would be the end of season 5.  I assume that the King's Landing plotline would resolve before the Essos and Northern plotlines.

Hydra009

A couple questions about Season 5 episode 2:

[spoiler]Why is Sansa out in the open?  Because last time I checked, both her and the dwarf were wanted by the Queen for regicide.  You can't just wear a different dress and walk the streets like nothing happened.  So is she still wanted or not?  I suppose they might have pinned everything on the dwarf after Tywin died, but damn, no one would say "Hey, there's Sansa Stark.  Haven't seen you since the wedding!  Say, where's your husband?"  I know she confessed her true identity in the Eryie, but I figure the more Arryn bannermen might be more willing to look the other way, given that she's the niece of the late Lysa Tully and given her sob story.  Smallfolk with no loyalties to her family in the middle of nowhere, not so much.

Did Cersei open the box, see the snake, then close the box up again and show it to Jamie?  Cause that sounds sorta strange.[/spoiler]

stromboli

I read the books too long ago and don't remember the content well enough, so I'm just following the show as best I can. GRRM pretty much admitted he isn't going to finish the books first, and he also said the show will have differences. So whatever. I will read the next published book and continue the show.

Aroura33

Oh yeah.  Personally, I'm grateful the show exists, or else I fear Martin would leave his fans to hang forever.

And Hydra, that is a really good question. 

[spoiler]I have no idea where in Westeros they were when Brianne and Pod came across Sansa and Littlefinger.  Littlefinger had just been saying he was going to take Sansa far enough away that she wouldn't have to worry about the queen hunting her, but where would that even be?  Where they almost there?  I had the impression they were not that far outside the Riverlands yet.  But yeah, if Breanne can recognize her (and POD for heavens sake, from the side, too!) then it doesn't seem safe for her to be walking around without her face hooded at the very least.
Also, wow, that actress has gotten so tall!  Even with obvious shot editing, Littlefinger is clearly shorter than her.  She'll be as tall s Gwendolyn Christy soon. [/spoiler]
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Draconic Aiur

I got to episode 3 when they captured unjustlly tyron. One of the good characters and stopped watching it.

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 23, 2015, 11:58:45 PM
I got to episode 3 when they captured unjustlly tyron. One of the good characters and stopped watching it.
You stopped at the third episode of the first season because something sort of bad happened to one of your favorite characters?

*laughs*
*laughs harder*
*rolls on the floor laughing*
*dies laughing*

Jason78

It's not as if anyone died.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

drunkenshoe

Oh that's nothing. I haven't seen Breaking Bad yet and got yelled by people with explosive facial expressions several times for that. Seriously. Soon guys, soon. Anyway, at least I am on time with House of Cards. Phew.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Green Bottle

I just watched episode 4 of the new series but i wont spoil it for anyone, but wow'',  who the fff would've expected that.......... :shifty:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Hydra009

Hodor must've finally taken the iron throne.  Totally called it in advance.

Aroura33

Episode 3 had enough unexpected stuff.  Do I have to spoil tag everything? I mean, if you haven't watched the most recent episode, don't read the thread!!  lol

So poor, poor Sansa.  She's either going to be married to psycho boy, or else Littlefinger is using the situation to try and take the north and her with it in the bargain somehow.  Either way, she's a always someone else's pawn.

Loved hearing some of Brianne's back-story, very touching actually.  And how she's softening towards Pod.  I didn't like her murderous rampage lately....she's not a thug like that in the books, where her honor/chivalry is more important to her than most knighted knights.  The wanting to cut down the whores and burry them, that's more Brianne.

Anyway, looks like they are really going off into new territory and rewriting all the main character story lines heavily.  I'm going to be patient and wait until next weekend to watch episode 4....I'm excited to see where the writers are going with it now!
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

So many episodes to comment on, so little time.

As a book reader, please allow me a small rant on the abandoned or radically-altered plotlines.

[spoiler]Changes I loathe and despise:

* Real Sansa marrying the Bolton bastard instead of fake Arya.  First, we're doing the "innocent girl is about to marry a monster" thing a bit too much.  Plus, she goes willingly, which makes no friggin' sense.  Second, Littlefinger gets nothing out of this arrangement and he never works for free.  He hints that he'd combine forces and hit the capital, but with Stannis on the march and winter fast approaching, that seems unlikely.  Plus, Lord Bolton would never be on board with that plan.  Traitors tend not to trust each other.

* The Ironborn.  Visualize Victarion throwing a knight off a ship.  Or Euron feasting in a recently-conquered keep while being attended to by the slain lord's women.  Or Asha fighting in the North.  We're not going to see any of it.  :(

* No Lady Stoneheart or Brotherhood Without Banners.

* No Jon Connington.  Dammit, Jorah, you suck so hard you're sucking in other characters' plotlines!  And Jon is such a badass that it's a real shame to miss him.

* Book Valaryia doesn't look anything like TV Valaryia.  TV Valaryia was more akin to the Sorrows.  Book Valaryia is basically hell on Earth.  If you go there, you're a deadman.  Period. 

* No strong Belwas.  It's not that much of a loss considering that the story so far isn't all that different without him, but he's a big part of a pivotal scene up ahead.  It'd be strange without him.

* Barristan Selmy dying early.  As a wise mentor figure, he'd probably die fairly soon anyway.  But there's this crisis in Meereen that he mans up and deals with as best he can.  So, his death definitely throws the wrench in the Meereen story.  Plus, I really wish that the Unsullied had put up more of a fight, they're extremely well-trained soldiers going up against civies in Guy Fawkes masks.  It shouldn't have been a roughly one-to-one kill-death ratio.

* Dany almost feeding Hizdar to her dragons, throwing him in jail, then proposing marriage.  All kinds of WTF alarms are going off in that poor guy's head.

* No Penny.  Her voyage with Tyrion and Jorah wasn't the most gripping stuff ever, but she helps pull Tyrion back from the abyss.  Sad to not see that, either.

Changes that I don't mind:

* Brienne finding Sansa.  In the books, you already know where the Stark girls are and know that she's on a wild goose chase.  Her chapters tended to drag on and only had any payoff at the very end.  So, it's good she's doing something productive.

* Jaimie and Bronn  in Dorne.  I liked Jaime cleaning up loose ends in the Riverlands, but this works too.

* Loras Tyrell accused of being fabulous.  Guilty as charged!

* the Queen of Thorns is back in town.  She steals the scenes she's in![/spoiler]

Hydra009

S5E4/E5

[spoiler]Stannis's little heart-to-heart with Shireen practically had me in tears.  Stannis is the best dad ever!

Stannis:  "So I heard you killed a white walker."
Sam:  "Yeah, with dragonglass.  You know, obsidian.  If we had some more, we could fashion an arsenal of anti-zombie weapons and totally pwn some walker face."
Stannis:  "There's a bunch of that stuff over at Dragonstone."
Sam:  "Great.  So how much did you bring"
Stannis:  "..."

Interesting to see that Stannis is taking Melisandre with him on the march to Winterfell, considering what happened the last time he went to war without her.

The Boltons have the most awkward dinner scene ever!  Absolutely hilarious![/spoiler]