News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

Hey, what happens if the TV series finishes the books before Martin does?  It's not only possible, it looks probably right now. 

I'll be back after watching the episode tonight.  So excited!!!!!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 12, 2015, 03:11:52 PM
Hey, what happens if the TV series finishes the books before Martin does?  It's not only possible, it looks probably right now. 

They have an end planned.  Maybe not the end, but an end.  They may have to reunite a few years later for one final season.  It's atypical, but not unheard of.

Hydra009

S5E1 review:

[spoiler]Man, they are blowing through the material here.  It's about a chapter per minute.  Poor GRRM needs to write like the wind!

We get refreshers of what's going on in with most of the main characters, but there are plenty of new developments.  Maggy the Frog.  (or is it spelled maegi?)  The Sparrows.  The Sons of the Harpy.  The fighting pits.  Stannis' new gameplan.  Tyrion's new abode.  Varys' plan for Tyrion.  Varys' plan in its entirety (mostly).

I particularly enjoyed Margery's mildly (compared to Cersei) bitchy side.  She's so pleasant and courteous in public that it's hard to believe that anything could upset her.  She's obviously afraid for her brother and frustrated at her situation.  Anyone by Cersei's side would be.  Anyone finding out they're stuck at her side for good should be given a medal for not throwing himself or herself off the roof of the Red Keep at the earliest convenience.

I didn't really like the scene with Stannis and Jon, at least not as much as it was written in the books.  In the books, Stannis makes a very explicit and extremely tempting offer that Jon seriously considers for a good long while.  In the TV show, it's just "Hey Jon, would you like some payback?"  "Nah, I've got to stay here and look moody."  "K.  Ttyl."  Dafuq.

I really liked the scene with Mance Rayder.  Great acting.  Really felt bad for the guy.  But I'm kinda disappointed in the wildling submission ceremony getting toned down and cut short.  In the books, it's an absolutely brutal execution.  For starters, Mance is kept in a cage then lit ablaze.  And secondly, he freaking loses it towards the end.  He wails, thrashes about, begs for mercy, and denies being a king.  Stannis raises his glowing sword up high.  Melisandre asks the wildlings to renounce their heathen gods and a whole bunch of them take up the One True God right then and there, each throwing a piece of a weirwood onto Mance's pyre.  That's some seriously hardcore stuff right there.  I freaked out a little reading it.  The show version was lamentably subdued.

Also, a lot of other really, really important stuff is left out.  Like Sweet Robin refusing to leave his rapidly-freezing castle and throwing a temper tantrum.  If I were Littlefinger, I'd kick that brat off the slope.  Maggy's most important prophecy regarding Cersei and the main reason she hates Tyrion so much.  Tywin's unnaturally comical appearance in his funeral.  The guy hated laughter almost his whole life and at his funeral, he's grinning like the Joker while smelling like Flea Bottom.  It's actually sort of funny in a grisly sort of way.

Anyway, onwards to episode 2!  We need to see more Arya and Jorah and Illyrio Mopatis, the last for the very finest in Pentoshi cuisine!  Oh my God does he eat well![/spoiler]

Shiranu

All I care about this season is seeing Dorne, especially as they will be adding much that isn't in the books. And possibly flashbacks including more Oberyn. Oh god, yes...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I too would love to see Dorne.  It sounds downright idyllic compared to the rest of Westeroes.  Not just in its natural beauty (lemon trees!), but also the people seem more egalitarian, less sexist, and just overall more civilized.

Deidre32

Saw my very first episode of this, last night! I'm totally lost, I'm wondering if I should go back to view last season, or all of them to really gain a better perspective. I thought the acting was excellent and it seems very well done. Interested in continuing, but...like I said, I'm a wee bit lost. ^_^
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Aroura33

Quote from: Deidre32 on April 13, 2015, 12:38:16 PM
Saw my very first episode of this, last night! I'm totally lost, I'm wondering if I should go back to view last season, or all of them to really gain a better perspective. I thought the acting was excellent and it seems very well done. Interested in continuing, but...like I said, I'm a wee bit lost. ^_^
Oh yeah, this series isn't something you can stat watching in the middle.  It's a continuous story with so many plots going on at once, it can be confusing even if you do watch every episode in order. 

But I suggest you try and find season one and start there.  It's totally worth it!!! Or if you are a reader....you can catch up by reading the books, too!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Desdinova

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 12, 2015, 03:11:52 PM

I think the books and the TV series will split off into two separate stories.  The end will be the same, generally, but the subplots will not. 
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Jason78

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2015, 03:05:18 AM
S5E1 review:

[spoiler]I can kind of understand why they didn't have him burn to death in a cage, given recent events.[/spoiler]
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Green Bottle

I've been waiting for ''The Winds of Winter for ages , i wish they'd hurry up. Anyhow, series 5 starting to warm up now but i wont spoil it for any of you, the 1st 4 episodes of the new series can be seen  here.....
http://m.movietube.co/tv.htm?sort=score
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Hydra009

Quote from: Jason78 on April 14, 2015, 01:05:55 PM
[spoiler]I can kind of understand why they didn't have him burn to death in a cage, given recent events.[/spoiler]
?  Oh.  Ooooh!  *dawning comprehension*  Good call.  Didn't even think about that.  Damn you, real life, and all your funny aneurisms!

Hydra009

S5E2 review:

[spoiler]Bravos looks so nice.  Canals everywhere.  Jaqen's back!  Aww yeah!  But I didn't like how Arya just wanders around for a bit instead of going right in the house of black and white like she did in the books.

Brienne stumbles on Sansa.  How lucky is that?!  Littlefinger makes good arguments about why she shouldn't be there.  She does have a pretty bad track record and an incredibly unbelievable story about how Renly died.  Plus, Sansa is already well guarded.  Pledging herself to Sansa insults Littlefinger by implying that Sansa's guards are inadequate or inept or that Littlefinger wishes to harm Sansa.  Still, he does offer to have Brienne accompany them, which is as good an offer as anyone in his shoes can make.  No doubt as the prelude to an accident, though.  Brienne was right to refuse.  However, she wasn't right to go nuts the instant she left the inn.  Jeez, that was unnecessary.  Do you know how much good horses cost?  Losing your horse is roughly equivalent to losing your car.  And yeah, Podrick's right.  The Stark daughters refused to be protected, so Brienne is released from her vows.

Jaimie and Bronn head south.  I'm sure that'll work out for them.

Doctor Julian Bashir is Doran Martell.  FUCK YES!  Now, if they just cast Colm Meaney (Miles O'Brien) as Randyll Tarly...

At King's Landing, there's that great scene where Cersei practically takes over the small council.  And since Tommen just signs whatever is handed to him, Cersei is the de facto ruler.  Kevan is understandably pissed.  I don't like how the bounty hunters with the wrong head don't get punished.  In the books, Cersei really shows off her cruel side there.

Gilly learning the letter S was like me in college, heh.  But damn, that part about the Night's Watch elections was extremely condensed in the show, not that I'm complaining.

I really like the scene with Varys and Tyrion.  Varys is such an insightful, amiable guy.  Tyrion is just a cynical, washed-up drunk, so only one thing has changed about him.  It's funny, thinking back about Tyrion threatening Varys for his implicit threat to Shae.  Varys never touched a hair on her head, but Tyrion...

And everything goes to shit in Meereen.  Saw that coming.  Dany definitely should've just taken Yunkai's bribe and headed west when she had the chance.

This episode really threw me for a loop because it's such a major departure from the books.  Practically everything is different, and not just minor details, but major plot points.  It's still good, but damn, I really wanted to see some of the book stuff on the screen, like Jamie in the Riverlands, Tyrion wining and dining with Illyrio Mopatis, etc.  Still, I'm not complaining about seeing more of Varys.[/spoiler]

Aroura33

Yes, this episode threw me for a loop too, as it departed from the books completely in places.  When the episode finished, I looked at my husband and said "Don't ask me what's going on anymore, it looks like we are both in the same boat now".

I do appreciate how the show is editing/changing book storylines though, while maintaining the best characters, not overwhelming us with too many unnecessary ones, and trimming plot lines that basically meander for the next two books (well one, since the last 2 books were divided by character and not chronologically.).
I realize the show is taking a different path, but if we get to the end before Martin finishes the books, I doubt I'll finish the books.  Maybe.  This isn't a normal situation.  For one thing, I think the show has actually surpassed the books in awesomeness now.  It seems like by books 4/5 Martin had too much going on, and I started to feel less excited and more overwhelmed reading those.  I'm looking forward to how the TV series handles the rest of the plot, especially Dorn!

Oh, and good C=catch, Julian Bashere, I didn't even recognize him!  I'm a huge Trek fan too. 
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 22, 2015, 01:24:33 PMI do appreciate how the show is editing/changing book storylines though, while maintaining the best characters, not overwhelming us with too many unnecessary ones, and trimming plot lines that basically meander for the next two books (well one, since the last 2 books were divided by character and not chronologically.).
Yeah.  The books were all over the place.  But it's unnerving how fast they're going through the source material.  Bran's all caught up, Sansa's almost caught up, and Arya is just few scenes away from being caught up.  The only people who really have much left to do are Cersei, Daenerys, Jon/Davos/Stannis, and the Ironborn.  Man, the Ironborn have a LOT of material left.  I'm actually sort of surprised we haven't seen them yet.

QuoteFor one thing, I think the show has actually surpassed the books in awesomeness now.
I dunno, the books had their moments, too.  I <3 Victarion.  It's downright scary how close my personality is to that guy.  Aeron is cool, too.  Can't wait to see him conduct some religious ceremonies, if you get what I mean...

QuoteIt seems like by books 4/5 Martin had too much going on, and I started to feel less excited and more overwhelmed reading those.
Same.  My main gripe is neither of the last two books really seemed to go anywhere.  Tyrion mopes.  Brienne goes on a wild snark chase.  Cersei cerseies.  The previous books were defined by all these badass moments, but the fourth book has little and less of that.  It's just so moody and dull.  And yeah, way too many side characters.  Slaver's bay characters all seem to blur together.  People like Reznor zo nasdaq, or somesuch.

QuoteOh, and good C=catch, Julian Bashere, I didn't even recognize him!  I'm a huge Trek fan too.
Yeah, it's because I'm Trekkie.  *slides a door closed to a shrine covered with pictures of Alexander Siddig*

Aroura33

Haha, Cercie cercies, lol.  I like that as a verb or adjective, I'll have to find ways to use it. :)

I'm a Trekkie, I've even attended conventions, but I did not get into Deep Space 9 the way I did TNG. I even watched more of Voyager.  I know, DS9 is actually better (I went back and rewatched, and found some of the best characters ever, like Quark!).

Anyway, I agree it's l kind of alarming how fast they are going through the material, but that just shows how little substantial material there actually was to go through in the last 2 books. 
Yes, I'd like to see what the Ironborn are up to in the TV series.  Do you think they'll curb that story arc as well?  There is more meat in that story arc than in Tyrions recent adventures, for instance.  Maybe they are saving it to tie in somewhere else?  I expect we'll see more of Asha soon, though.

I have so many questions!  I guess they will be answered in a few months when this season is over.  I wonder if we will get to see further along Tyrion, Arya, and others that the books.  I'm very curious how they will handle Cercie's arc, as IMHO, she has one of the best in the last 2 books. What are they going to do with Gilly and Sam and Maester Aemon since they clearly aren't going where the books went with that?

Guess we all have to watch and see now. :)
Leonard Nimoy