Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

My new desktop:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Shiranu

Oh god, I love it :D.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Notthesun

NEW RULE: If you are not up to date with the show, DO NOT CLICK ON THIS PAGE.

Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Aroura33

So, I've read a very convincing article that (barring a near miracle) the show will finish the series before the 7th (final) book comes out.

Apparently, Maritn has told the producers the general story arc and how it all ends, and they are prepared to do that.  They say they are looking at a total of 7 season, 8 at the most, and we've seen 4 now.  Optimistically, if Martin Releases book 6 early in 2015, then they would be doing season 5 that year.  That give him only 2 years, 3 tops, to write and publish the 7th and final book.  considering his recent writing pace, that isn't super likely to happen.

So....be prepared for the show to finish the story for you.  I'm a little worried that if this happens, or appears to be headed that way, Martin might give up on even writing the final book, and we'll have 6 books, with the 7th one being a tv show....

Pros and cons.  At least someone will finish the story. he won't die with it unfinished.  I've already been through this with Robert Jordan.  Sanderson finished the series, so I felt the satisfaction of knowing how it ended, but was not really happy with it all.  Having someone else finish the work you are used to, with their own touches, twists and spins, is rough.

All the same, I think the TV show is doing justice to the overall story and characters, so if they finish it first, at least it won't suck (I hope).
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

josephpalazzo

^^^

I can empathize with your dilemma, but do not sympathize as I will never, never, ever read the books.  :wink2:

Hydra009

Quote from: Aroura33 on June 22, 2014, 04:49:21 AMSo, I've read a very convincing article that (barring a near miracle) the show will finish the series before the 7th (final) book comes out.

Apparently, Maritn has told the producers the general story arc and how it all ends, and they are prepared to do that.  They say they are looking at a total of 7 season, 8 at the most, and we've seen 4 now.  Optimistically, if Martin Releases book 6 early in 2015, then they would be doing season 5 that year.  That give him only 2 years, 3 tops, to write and publish the 7th and final book.  considering his recent writing pace, that isn't super likely to happen.

So....be prepared for the show to finish the story for you.
Is it possible that the TV show will "end" and then get one more season after the release of the last book?

stromboli

There have been some minor changes in the series versus the book- the most glaring one at the end of this season is the lack of Lady Stoneheart
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-why-no-lady-stoneheart/

One of Martin's little surprises at the end of the book, per usual. I don't have a problem with it per se, because carrying forward there is not much of a story arc there in any case.

pioteir

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 16, 2014, 08:59:37 AM
Braavos here we come.

About fuckin time!!!!!! GO ARYA!!! Valar Morghulis goddamit
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

Aroura33

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 03:07:57 PM
There have been some minor changes in the series versus the book- the most glaring one at the end of this season is the lack of Lady Stoneheart
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-why-no-lady-stoneheart/

One of Martin's little surprises at the end of the book, per usual. I don't have a problem with it per se, because carrying forward there is not much of a story arc there in any case.
It's also entirely possible they are saving that for the beginning of next season (ALA Jeoff's death).  They aren't following the books in strict order.  Of course they might also just leave it out entirely, as they have made more and more changes as time goes along, but all those changes have been with Martin's blessing, or at least his OK.  But we don't actually KNOW if there is a story arc there. 
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

stromboli

Quote from: Aroura33 on June 23, 2014, 05:30:21 PM
It's also entirely possible they are saving that for the beginning of next season (ALA Jeoff's death).  They aren't following the books in strict order.  Of course they might also just leave it out entirely, as they have made more and more changes as time goes along, but all those changes have been with Martin's blessing, or at least his OK.  But we don't actually KNOW if there is a story arc there. 

True. Lady Stoneheart as seen in the books represents very little narrative and doesn't indicate much of a following story line, so it may not be important enough to be included in the timeframe of the show.

Aroura33

Quote from: stromboli on June 23, 2014, 05:35:31 PM
True. Lady Stoneheart as seen in the books represents very little narrative and doesn't indicate much of a following story line, so it may not be important enough to be included in the timeframe of the show.
Sorry, my keyboard locked up and I had to restart.

I was going to say that we don't know the importance or lack-there-of of Lady Stoneheart's character.  She hasn't done much yet that we know of, but there are 2 books and 3 seasons at least to go.  I think there is a possibility, at least, of her arc becoming more important. 
[spoiler]I mean, the risen dead are THE end game of this series, and we have now been shown not just White Walkers and their King, but Barric Dondarien and now Lady Stoneheart.  For all we know, these different kinds of resurrections of the dead will play a very important role as the story progresses.  Lady Stoneheart seems to be more mindful than a Whitewalker, but less than Dondarien.  Plus she was resurrected by Thoros, same as Dondarien, follower of the Red God (Fire), where-as the white walkers and their king represent Ice.  I'm thinking again about where this will go end-game, as a Song of Fire and Ice.[/spoiler]

Anyway, next season will be very interesting weather they include her or not. I'm not bent when they make story changes, mostly they have been for the better (Thank you for NOT giving us a drawn out Sansa Story this season!!!), and stay on the theme of the books, and the main characters.

I hate having to wait another year for the next season. Grrr. :(  And probably longer for the next book, still.
Leonard Nimoy

Notthesun

She will most likely be at the end of the next season's opening episode. It's the last huge thing that happens. The next season requires it.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Hydra009

[spoiler]Speaking of missing characters, I'm trying to figure out where all the characters are standing at the end of season 4.  What happened to Gendry?  And Edmure?  And Rickon & Osha?  And Ser Friendzone Enemyzone?[/spoiler]

Shol'va

From a strategic standpoint, I would absolutely allow the wildlings to cross the wall. If they don't, they'll be crushed by the white walkers, and the dead would only swell their ranks. But on the flip side, then you'd have a bunch of displaced tribes on your lands, which spells trouble.

Hydra009

It's conceivable that they could cohabitate through one hell of an alliance, but there are some pretty stark cultural and political differences that couldn't be smoothed over easily if at all.