Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 02, 2014, 05:48:07 PM
:wtff:

with Tyrion and beetle talk?!??

This will enlighten you somewhat. The show has diverged a bit from the book, but creatively.
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/game-of-thrones-recap-8/

Berati

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 02, 2014, 05:48:07 PM
:wtff:

with Tyrion and beetle talk?!??

I think it's all about senseless violence. In following this story I'm always impressed with how the writer doesn't give in to the "good guy" bad guy" trope.
Instead he shows how everyone deals with the senselessly violent world they find themselves in.

Tyrion was trying to figure it out but there appears to be no answer. Just do what you have to do to survive.

From season two.
The Hound to Sansa
"Stannis is a killer. The Lannisters are killers. Your father was a killer. Your brother is a killer. Your sons will be killers someday. The world is built by killers... so you better get used to looking at them."
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

stromboli

Still one episode to go......

[spoiler]...and don't forget, the Red Viper was thought to use a poisoned blade....[/spoiler]

Berati

So who do you think outed Mormont as a spy?
I thought Varis because he is the only one I know of who knows Mormont was a spy, but why would he out his own spy?
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on June 02, 2014, 05:52:56 PM
This will enlighten you somewhat. The show has diverged a bit from the book, but creatively.
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/game-of-thrones-recap-8/

Thanks for the link.

When I saw the episode, it seemed to me it was out of character for Tyrion. In the TV series, Tyrion is presented as the smart guy, the philosopher, the historian, the avid reader who has come to understand the "game", which often came through in his dialogues with everyone, especially during his short time with Sansa.  In that context, I thought that he would have understood the implication behind their cousin needlessly killing of those insects. Instead it's Jaime who has to enlighten Tyrion. Anyways, that scene simply seemed out of kilt with everything that had happened in the story in so far with Tyrion's character.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Berati on June 02, 2014, 07:05:31 PM
I think it's all about senseless violence. In following this story I'm always impressed with how the writer doesn't give in to the "good guy" bad guy" trope.
Instead he shows how everyone deals with the senselessly violent world they find themselves in.

Tyrion was trying to figure it out but there appears to be no answer. Just do what you have to do to survive.

From season two.

Yeah, that I got it but as I explained to Stromboli, it's the fact that it turned out that it was Jaime who had to enlighten Tyrion in that jail conversation that seems to me out of character. Tyrion should have figured that one, way before his brother.

Berati

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 03, 2014, 09:20:18 AM
Yeah, that I got it but as I explained to Stromboli, it's the fact that it turned out that it was Jaime who had to enlighten Tyrion in that jail conversation that seems to me out of character. Tyrion should have figured that one, way before his brother.

I see what you mean.
I think that Tyrion being so smart and always figuring stuff out, was trying like crazy to find a reason when there really isn't one. Just smash them beetles.

Carl Sagan

stromboli

Quote from: Berati on June 03, 2014, 01:17:52 PM
I see what you mean.
I think that Tyrion being so smart and always figuring stuff out, was trying like crazy to find a reason when there really isn't one. Just smash them beetles.

I kind of agree with JP. The whole sequence was out of sync with the rest. And Orson? WTF?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on June 03, 2014, 02:19:48 PM
And Orson? WTF?

It's one of those things I'm not used to and GoT does a lot - talk about characters we've never met. The other thing is: introduce a new character, get the audience to like him/her. Then sooner than later get him/her killed. :doh:

As far as Orson is concerned: all I get is that he was brain-damaged and had a happy face whenever he would crush one of those beetles. Is that supposed to be a metaphor for life? Or does it mean that the gods of Westeros are happy when the Mountain crushed the Viper?? OTOH  Tywin didn't seem to be happy to condemn Tyrion to death, but then again Tywin has a plan, he doesn't do things just to get a happy face. Will his plan prevail? Taking from what the series seems to offer, the answer would be a resounding no. :madu:

Hydra009

Just caught up.

[spoiler]I'm horrified.  And furious.  I warned you guys that we haven't seen much of his warrior prowess, while we're seen the Mountain plow through people left and right and that G.R.R. Martin leans towards cruelty!  But damn, even I didn't expect the results of the fight to be so damn ghastly.  It's like the Red Wedding all over again.  And unlike that, you didn't see this coming at all and the gore and injustice of it all is so damn terrible.  Fucking hell.

I don't get it.  That character had an awesome motivation and he even said "today is not the day that I die" and if TV tropes has taught me anything, it means that in anyone else's show, this guy is going to pull through.  Watching this show is like watching LOTR for 40 minutes and then the Joker's hostage tape for the last 5.

Fuck me.  I really liked that guy, too.  Pretty much the only guy in Westeroes besides Tyrion and Varys that I actually cared about.  Fuck.[/spoiler]

Notthesun

I don't think this was outside of Tyrion's character. Tyrion is quite the intelligent individual and, like many, needs reasons for why someone does things. It's not out of character simply because Jaime gets there first. That's bad reasoning, Joseph. You forget that Jaime is extremely intelligent as well. He isn't some moron.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Notthesun on June 04, 2014, 06:34:58 AM
I don't think this was outside of Tyrion's character. Tyrion is quite the intelligent individual and, like many, needs reasons for why someone does things. It's not out of character simply because Jaime gets there first. That's bad reasoning, Joseph. You forget that Jaime is extremely intelligent as well. He isn't some moron.

Yeah, you're probably right. Jaime is underestimated. Foremost, he's a survivor. But he has also shown to have picked up a pearl or two of wisdom  along the way . I'm still counting on him to help Tyrion, and I don't see his relationship to Cersei, which isn't going so well, prevent him from doing such a dangerous gamble.

Berati

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 04, 2014, 06:46:40 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. Jaime is underestimated. Foremost, he's a survivor. But he has also shown to have picked up a pearl or two of wisdom  along the way . I'm still counting on him to help Tyrion, and I don't see his relationship to Cersei, which isn't going so well, prevent him from doing such a dangerous gamble.

Jamie is a great example of how non black and white the characters are.
He starts off banging his sister and throwing a kid out of a window and now he's sorta likeable??

Carl Sagan

stromboli

Don't focus on just what you see as the main characters in the game. There are many side players that manipulate and make moves of their own. Littlefinger is stuck in his aerie for now, but other people take advantage of situations that arise. Don't count anyone out until they are dead and buried.

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on June 04, 2014, 05:35:05 PM
Jamie is a great example of how non black and white the characters are.
He starts off banging his sister and throwing a kid out of a window and now he's sorta likeable??
[spoiler]He has done some good things, but he also murdered his cousin in cold blood and raped his sister.  As far as wrongdoing goes, those are two pretty big ones.  In other people's stories, he'd be the main villain.

All the Lannisters (except the two kids) are really screwed up people.  Only Tyrion gives a shit about anyone who isn't either himself or his immediate family, and even then, he's quite the scoundrel (blackmail, false imprisonment, and unwarranted exile come readily to mind).[/spoiler]