News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

[spoiler]

The Wall's purpose has been fulfilled, plus it has a rather large hole in it.  The Wall is rumored to have been created with magic, so good luck fixing it.

And thematically, I'm not sure that GRRM is going for a "good fences make good neighbors" lesson.

So... ¯\_(ãƒ,,)_/¯

Edit: and the North isn't even a part of the Realm anymore, so idfk how the Night's Watch is supposed to get supplies/watchmen anymore.

It's like a ship with no sails, but I guess that doesn't matter when you're at the top of a mountain, too.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

S8e6:

[spoiler]Tyrion, the cruel Lannisters' demon monkey: "I would like to nominate the king.  He's a nobody with no experience or wealth, but his story is kinda cool."

All the other nobles:

(For a show that took politics seriously for the first four seasons, it's shameful how far it has fallen.)[/spoiler]

Hydra009

[spoiler]

That moment when you throw some bullshit at the wall and it actually sticks.

And this is from someone without the benefit of the education and accolades that D&D have racked up.

Just imagine what someone with a good education and a creative spark could accomplish.[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

WatchMoJo is poking the hornet's nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhHTIO6SaYY

10. His Dark Matter.
("Golden Compass" world."

9. The Watch.
(Ankh-Morpork PD)

8. The Dark Tower.
(Amazon looks to repair the damage the recent movie did to the series.)

7. The King Killer Chronicles
(Prequel to Kvothe.)

6. Chronicles of Narnia.
(Netflix has right to all seven novels, a first for anyone trying to do the books.)

5. The Wheels of Time
(Robert Jordan's series.)

4. Lovecraft Country.
('Nuff said.)

3. The Witcher
(Apparently a video game(?).)

2. Game of Thrones prequel
(Set in the Age of Heroes.)

1. Lord of the Rings
(Silmarillion sources? 2nd Age at least.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 20, 2019, 11:06:04 AM4. Lovecraft Country.
('Nuff said.)
I've never heard of this before, which is strange considering I gravitate towards Lovecraft stuff pretty heavily.  Racism + Lovecraftian horrors?  Meh, people have done worse with less.  I'm going to have to wait and see how this one shakes out before committing.

Quote3. The Witcher
(Apparently a video game(?).)
Oof.  Yes, it's an insanely popular video game series.

Hydra009

Unbeliever

Would any of you name your kids after GoT characters?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 20, 2019, 07:24:48 PM
Would any of you name your kids after GoT characters?
Yes.  Tormund.  Beric.  Jorah.  Lyanna.

All fine names.  Just nothing too complicated (Darnerys, Hizdahr zo Loraq) or a variant of an existing name (Jon, Petyr)

Unbeliever

I hear some people may regret naming their kid after a mass murderer.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 20, 2019, 08:14:44 PM
I hear some people may regret naming their kid after a mass murderer.
[spoiler]That was a total 180 that came out of nowhere in the final act.  No one could have possibly predicted someone whose credo was "I will take what is mine by fire and blood" and threatened to turn cities to the ground would actually burn a city to the ground.

I was really surprised more of the readers/viewers weren't more skeptical from the beginning.  GRRM abhors violence so it would've been rather bizarre for the hero of the story to be a belligerent and ruthless warlord, even one with a seemingly gentle heart.  ASOIAF wasn't written to celebrate violence, particularly "righteous" vengeance.  Besides, neither the fire nor the ice are good in ASOIAF - either taken to extremes is apocalyptic.  Thematically, Dany's flame is either tempered or it burns itself out - there is no other option.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Kind of a nitpick, but a (relatively) small problem with the finale episode before we even saw the first scene:

[spoiler]Why couldn't the intro have a destroyed King's Landing?  Cause that would have made my week/month/year.

They did it for Winterfell, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.  They even changed the intro slightly throughout season 8, so it's pretty disappointing that there wasn't a big change for the grand finale.  Maybe that's where Ghost's animation budget came from, lol

*edit - nevermind, upon rewatching, the outskirts of King's Landing do indeed look kinda messed up, but it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it detail.  I could've gone for waaay more battle damage than that.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Scenes that must have happened offscreen, s8e6:

[spoiler]Jon:  Greyworm, I have something to tell you.  Something terrible has happened to Daenerys.

Greyworm:  WHAT??!

Jon:  Okay, so she said she was going to go conquer the world real crazy-like.  So I went up to her and stabbed her 37 times in the chest.

Greyworm:  Jon, that kills people!!

Jon:  Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Greyworm:  How could you not know that?!

Jon:  Yeah, I'm in the wrong here.  I suck.

Greyworm:  So what happened to the body?  Why is it missing?

Jon:  About that.  So Drogon landed, burned down the throne, and carried Dany away.

Greyworm:  He didn't try to eat you?

Jon:  Nope.

Greyworm:  That doesn't make any sense.

Well, thanks for telling me you murdered my queen in cold blood.  You could've just skipped town and no one would've been the wiser, but instead you told me of your heinous crime, a guy who literally just butchered POWs for far less.  Tell you what, I'm not going to kill you on the spot.

Jon:  Really?

Greyworm:  Sure, why not.  I'm just going to take you prisoner until whoever's leader can decide your sentence.

Jon:  Well, Dany named you Master of War just before her death, so I'm pretty sure you're in charge now.

Greyworm:  Nah, not my bag.  I'm only good at two things:  loving my smoking hot girlfriend and stabbing any MFer in spear range.  And I'm all out of girlfriends.

Instead, I'm going to get all the lords and ladies of Westeroes - all ten of them - to decide who's in charge and that person will decide your fate.  Since three of them are blood relations of yours and the fourth is your best friend, there's a pretty good chance that you'll get off scot-free.

Jon:  Gods, I love Westerosi justice.[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

Oh. I guess I should use spoiler tags.

[spoiler]Just finished the last episode. It ended pretty similar to how I was expecting. Bittersweet, almost everybody dead, the world sick of war (for now, until they forget and start fighting again), and major changes to the way the government works. I was expecting Jon to become king, but I was wondering how he'd get the queen out of the way without getting thousands of Essos warriors very mad and wanting him dead. Turned out he just stabbed her, and now he's basically exiled. What might have been a better move, and what I was expecting to happen, was for Arya to put Daenerys on her list. All she had to do was sneak up on Grayworm, kill him, take his face, and stab Daenerys when they got a moment alone. With her face stealing abilities, she'd be able to escape undetected, maybe still even go sailing West like she wanted. Then Jon would have been able to claim the throne guilt free.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 20, 2019, 11:27:23 PM
Kind of a nitpick, but a (relatively) small problem with the finale episode before we even saw the first scene:

[spoiler]Why couldn't the intro have a destroyed King's Landing?  Cause that would have made my week/month/year.

They did it for Winterfell, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.  They even changed the intro slightly throughout season 8, so it's pretty disappointing that there wasn't a big change for the grand finale.  Maybe that's where Ghost's animation budget came from, lol

*edit - nevermind, upon rewatching, the outskirts of King's Landing do indeed look kinda messed up, but it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it detail.  I could've gone for waaay more battle damage than that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It's not just the outskirts, but the gates. When the pieces would normally rise while the city is being built, some of the pieces appear to be malfunctioning, broken. The city isn't totally demolished like in the show, but it's there.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--