News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 06, 2019, 04:22:38 PM
[spoiler]Because they didn't have a noticeable impact - leading viewers to to surmise it was utterly pointless.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Ah, I never thought of that. Probably because white wakers are moving on flat terrain like avalanche, lol. But that scene. Torches dissappearing in darkness. Brrrr. [/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

And one final thing about s8e3:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7m6HP95EDM

I'm in love with this guy's rewrite.  If this had been the official version, I would beg my brother into watching this!  (he used to watch GoT with me but lost interest sometime during season 7)

This rewrite brings a lot more significance to the Night King and Bran and Arya.  It also creates a major tragedy with relatively minor changes to the plot.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

I should probably go ahead and give my prediction on the end of the show before the last two episodes air:

(I'm aware that there are leaks, but I have not read any of them nor do I intend to.)

[spoiler]Cersei dies and King's Landing burns to the ground.  Yeah, not much a shock.  I mean, this has been foreshadowed since season 1.  If you notice, no one on Team Cersei has any real affection/loyalty towards Cersei herself.  She's been supremely lucky so far to have such inexplicable and unwavering devotion.  Expect that loyalty to crumble quickly.  Euron dies from dragonfire, the Golden Company abandons Cersei, and Qyburn simply peaces out when the cause is clearly lost.

But who kill Cersei?  Dany?  Jon?  Arya?  Jaime?  Tyrion?  Varys?  A dothraki horde on an open field?  Dany gets the killing blow.  Yeah, I know, I know.  Valonqar.  But that part was kept out of the show for this exact reason.

But surely some of our heroes will die.  Yep.  Varys dies.  Dany dies tragically, either this episode or the next.  Jaime dies horrifically by Cersei.  Greyworm *probably* dies, but I sincerely hope he doesn't.

Bran doesn't do jack in the show version and combined with Cersei's killer is the main difference between the show and book endings.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

s8ep5: the penultimate episode

[spoiler]I bet King's Landing wishes Stannis had taken it right now.[/spoiler]

Shiranu

I have to be honest... I haven't watched this season at all, but instead am just reading summaries, but...

Damn, the show-writers seem lost as fuck without G.R.R.M.'s doing the heavy lifting for them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2019, 01:50:58 AM
I have to be honest... I haven't watched this season at all, but instead am just reading summaries, but...

Damn, the show-writers seem lost as fuck without G.R.R.M.'s doing the heavy lifting for them.
The character motivations are confused af, some things happen because it would look cool or "subverts expectations", and some things don't happen only because they're not in the script.  Also, D&D/GRRM have a noticeable tendency to kill off characters when they don't know what to do with them anymore rather than them making some major mistake or karma catching up to them.

But overall, these episodes are shot well and do indeed look cool despite the character motivations being kind of borked.  And a lot of characters still had decent arcs.  And in a series with this many characters, it's amazing that they're able to wrap so many in the time that they have.

Imho, it's kind of a mixed bag, neither amazing nor terrible.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2019, 01:50:58 AMI haven't watched this season at all, but instead am just reading summaries
The #1 reason why you should watch season 8:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=psS2IMFkxKo

GET HYPE

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2019, 01:50:58 AMI have to be honest... I haven't watched this season at all
Reason #2 to watch is Dany.  We've always had two very different takes on Dany and I'd love to see your reaction now.  Hell, I'd buy tickets for that reaction video, lol.

Plus, it would make for a hell of a discussion on the nature of power and the obligations of rulers and ruled.  "It is excellent to have a dragon's strength..."

I am 100% with Varys and 1000% not sorry.  There's a reason he was always one of my favorite characters.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 13, 2019, 12:59:01 PM
Reason #2 to watch is Dany.  We've always had two very different takes on Dany and I'd love to see your reaction now.  Hell, I'd buy tickets for that reaction video, lol.

Plus, it would make for a hell of a discussion on the nature of power and the obligations of rulers and ruled.  "It is excellent to have a dragon's strength..."

I am 100% with Varys and 1000% not sorry.  There's a reason he was always one of my favorite characters.

Dany is trans-human.  So they way her mind works, isn't humanistic.  But I do feel for those who had her as a favorite character, and wanted a better end-arc for the final season.

Yes, Varys and Tyrion were favorite characters for me, thinking men, not muscle men.  But I love Arya too.  Not a Mary Sue, she has real skills earned the hard way.  Remind anyone of Assissin's Guild?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on May 13, 2019, 01:28:57 PMYes, Varys and Tyrion were favorite characters for me, thinking men, not muscle men.
You misspelled drinking.  :P

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 13, 2019, 12:59:01 PM

[spoiler]From what I read though, it makes sense given what has happened to characters around her that she loved and confided in, and since she has always had that side to her. That, and her Westeros subjects don't seem to have any interest in seeing the good she has done. Her becoming the final villain, unfortunately, seems/seemed inevitable.

Even if she is becoming the Mad Queen, that doesn't discredit the overwhelming amount of good she did for the world before then. And frankly I think Westeros probably is better off if institutions like the Iron Throne and all the corruption of King's Landing is burned to the ground... the individual states like The North and Dorne all seem much better off running their own affairs than answering to such a corrupt aristocracy like before.

A Westeros that answered to Dany would have been better off than one that answered to whatever family manipulated their way to the top, but unfortunately it seems they never would submit to her rule and she has lost enough to just about push her over the edge. So burning it all to the ground and starting again seems like the next best thing imo.[/spoiler]

I am waiting for Cleganebowl to hit the Youtbes though, that is one of the main things I want to actually see vs read. And Varys was definitely one of my favorites as well... I cant think of many characters like him that actually had the good of the world as his main objective.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2019, 02:00:20 PM[spoiler]Even if she is becoming the Mad Queen, that doesn't discredit the overwhelming amount of good she did for the world before then. And frankly I think Westeros probably is better off if institutions like the Iron Throne and all the corruption of King's Landing is burned to the ground... the individual states like The North and Dorne all seem much better off running their own affairs than answering to such a corrupt aristocracy like before.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Eh, you might be surprised.  I certainly think King's Landing civilians might have a far more favorable view of previous monarchs than you or me.  Even the Starks earned their share of villainy this day - mayhaps enough for another play.

And "good" is always such a subjective thing.  What is good for the wolf is not always good for the lamb, and vice versa.  The wheel of power and war turns and turns, spokes rising and falling endlessly.  But those underneath are ground into the earth with every rotation.

Besides, what is good, exactly?  Murder is bad but mass murder (war) is good, except when it is done to us.  Joffrey kills a prisoner and is rightfully called a monster.  Ramsay tortures and mutilates a prisoner and is rightfully called a monster.  Cersei blows up a Sept, killing many civilians and is rightfully called a monster.  Dany lays waste to a surrendering city, killing virtually all its inhabitants and is rightfully called...

From a purely dispassionate vantage point that counts only harm and not the motivations behind them, Daenerys is the greatest killer of the show.  Joffrey, Ramsay, Euron, Cersei - none of them come even close.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Also, I'd like to point out that Westeros before Aegon the Conqueror was a hot mess of perpetual conflict (though little appears to have changed in that regard)

Perhaps some sort of sectionalism might overall be better than nationalism.  Perhaps not.  That's a contentious issue both in GoT and real life.

Hydra009

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 13, 2019, 02:53:58 PM
Also, I'd like to point out that Westeros before Aegon the Conqueror was a hot mess of perpetual conflict (though little appears to have changed in that regard)

Perhaps some sort of sectionalism might overall be better than nationalism.  Perhaps not.  That's a contentious issue both in GoT and real life.

True... but I think for a long while after all that has happened, everyone is going to be sick of fighting and just want to worry about themselves.

Of course, they might also think it's the perfect time to strike at their weaker enemies... or lack resources in their homelands. If anything, I will go back to Dorne... I think the world is really set up at this point for them to massively expand their power. Or the Iron Bank and Bravos...

Quote[spoiler]From a purely dispassionate vantage point that counts only harm and not the motivations behind them, Daenerys is the greatest killer of the show.  Joffrey, Ramsay, Euron, Cersei - none of them come even close.[/spoiler]

She definitely is, but I would also argue the overwhelming majority of her victims were either people who deserved it (slave owners, rebellions) or people who started legitimate wars with her when she offered them a peaceful solution.