Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 21907 times)

Offline stromboli (OP)

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #375 on: June 22, 2016, 08:11:52 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2016, 01:12:20 AM »
What a finale!  And I thought the ending to Hamlet was bloody!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:00:14 AM by Hydra009 »

Offline stromboli (OP)

« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
Was expecting the death of Loras, but not Margaery. It made sense that Cersei only destroyed the sept, because there has to be a Kings Landing and a throne of swords to be taken at the end. I thought Tommen was toast one way or the other because of the prophecy and his place in the middle of events. He's had a target on him all season. If there was an outright surprise it was Arya doing in Walder Frey and his sons, though that was certainly satisfying. And Jon Snow's origin was no surprise, really. Everybody figured that one out.

« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
As thrilling as the finale was, there was a bunch of stuff that seemed cool at the time, but on second look, didn't make much sense.  Nitpick mode engage!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:21:43 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline stromboli (OP)

« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2016, 03:22:23 PM »
I think mention was made that the sons of the Harpy were run by the slavers. As to the other stuff, well...

Offline Hijiri Byakuren

• ULC Minister, Honorary Doctor of Divinity
  • That's DOCTOR Hijiri, to you!
    • Pathos
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
I just have to say,

Offline stromboli (OP)

« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2016, 07:44:45 PM »
I just have to say,

Offline Hijiri Byakuren

• Pathos
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2016, 07:45:58 PM »
Dude, this is the internet. Copious nudity is a Google search away.

« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
I just have to say,

Here's what I like:

1) A medieval world with real realpolitik, courtly intrigue, and fairly realistic depictions of violence and cruelty.  Very gritty.  The Brave Companions and the Clegane brothers are a very sharp departure from the standard knightly tropes.

2) A medieval world with fantasy races and magic.  None of that is particularly new, of course.  Writers have been doing dragons and giants for forever.  But how they're used is interesting.  There's this clash between the magical/fantastic denizens of the far-flung regions of the world and the comparatively magicless and mundane Westeros.  The white walkers (and arguably the dragons) represent an existential threat to the people of Westeros.

3) Amazing worldbuilding.  Varied locales with their own religions, histories, politics, and famous figures.  Regions have a very distinct feel to them as do the people living there.  The world almost seems like a real place.

4) Lots and lots of characters, though the accuracy of that statement is steadily declining.  There's such a variety of characters with different personalities, goals, and circumstances.  You have honorable nobles, less honorable nobles, learned maesters, courtly schemers, sellswords, knights, barbarians, assassins, greenseers, wargs, priests/priestesses, etc.  And women taking center stage roughly as much as men.  Honestly, it's difficult to not empathize with the plight of at least one of the characters every episode.

5) Although the show is less effective at it, mysteries and intrigue abounds in the books.  Definitely a lot of shocking events, too.

So yeah, it's well worth the time spent reading it and watching it, imho.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:19:58 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline stromboli (OP)

« Reply #384 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
True story bro.  :biggrin:

I watch it for everything Hydra said. If G R R Martin would get off his behind and produce the books ahead of the series, I'd be much happier. The books are in every way better, because the nuances and asides and references add up to stuff later on and you go, "oh yeah! I get it!" You can't be as subtle and complicated with a series. Better yet he keeps you guessing, because characters that you expect to live get killed, and bad people that deserve to die come out ahead.

As Hydra has also pointed out, there are a lot of problems plot hole and continuity wise with the show, but hey- it continues the narrative that the late arriving books haven't done yet. And the plotting, inside maneuvering and medieval style works for me. Fascinating shit with some copious nudity for garnish.

« Reply #385 on: June 29, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
If G R R Martin would get off his behind and produce the books ahead of the series, I'd be much happier.
He's working on it.  But he's very meticulous and the tradeoff of having so many characters is having to give them all exciting plotlines that fit continuity and characterization and lead up to something incredible.  Very difficult to pull off and very easy to write yourself into a corner, so understandably, it's going to take a while.

As Hydra has also pointed out, there are a lot of problems plot hole and continuity wise with the show
Most of the plotholes happen in seasons 5 and 6.  And a lot of em could be fixed pretty easily.

The show cut a lot of book characters and their associated plotlines, which is fine when they use the airtime that they have wisely.  But it's galling to see obvious filler in the show when we know they have awesome stuff that they could have put in there instead. *coughLadyStoneheartcough*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:19:13 AM by Hydra009 »

Offline stromboli (OP)

« Reply #386 on: June 30, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
Well one thing is for sure. Cersei managed to write off a whole bunch of subplots with one candle. Along with a whole bunch of religious acolytes. And a babe or two.

« Reply #387 on: June 30, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »
One part I found funny:

« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
Thrones is back!!! :dance:

What does everyone think of tonight's episode?

Offline Hijiri Byakuren

• Pathos
« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »
Don't know, didn't watch it because I still don't understand the show's appeal. However, as a result of watching a great many Star Wars videos of late, this popped into my suggestions box:

Now that's a show I'd watch.