News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by stromboli, June 03, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Ok, restarting the G of T thread. To those of you who saw the last episode, SURPRISE! Since I've read the books I won't comment on what happened or whatever. But in a general sense, I will say that plot twists do not go the direction you expect them to.  :twisted:

Aroura33

Oops, looks like we lost a few hours of posts!

I wanted to ask if we can make spoiler rules. I would like to propose that we only spoil book differences and future information, but allow discussion of everything aired in the TV show openly. Otherwise we would just have to spoil all our comments! Which is what happened in the old thread.

P.s. The actress who plays Catelyn deserves an Emmy for last nights performance, I think. Chilling performance. Wow!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Shiranu

No lie, I nearly quit watching GoT after last episode. I will go ahead and spoil it just incase we decide that's the route we go...

[spoil:1k6lvyu1]-Robb Stark was one of the two remaining characters I want to see win the throne. Stannis is cool, but I just don't think he is fit to lead. All that is left now is Danny. I still care about Arya's story arc and to an extent Jon Snow, and of course the Imp and Jamie...But that leads to the problem in my next point...

-This just shows that, even if you are one of the best characters in the show, you can die. Because of this... I feel like just removing all attachment to the characters because there doesn't seem to be any point in it. How do I know Danny doesn't die next episode? And when she dies, I really couldn't give a shit what happens anymore... the Lannisters would have won. I guess the family Jeofry is marrying still interests me and has a chance...but meh.

-On the two bright sides...

1. I have the feeling Jeofry and that Greyjoy guy (the dad) should die soon, since the priestess said their names as well. But at this point, I don't even give a fuck if Jeofry dies... I have had so much rage bottled at the little bitch and have wanted to see him suffer a terrible death, but now that rage is completely dwarfed by my hatred of the Freys.

2. I do have ONE more reason to watch it... I want to see Frey suffer. I don't mean die humiliating like Robb. I don't mean being betrayed and beheaded like Ned. I don't even mean torture like Theron has to endure.

I want to see an entire season dedicated to this man being slowly tortured and broken. Everything that has happened to Theron, I want to be multiplied by 10. I want to see his entire fucking families' heads on pikes, his castle burned and his torture to be a public spectacle. And bloody fuck I want to see Lord Bolton flayed and choked with his own entrails.

You might not have guessed it... but this scene made me extremely mad :|.[/spoil:1k6lvyu1]
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Aroura33

Quote from: "Shiranu"No lie, I nearly quit watching GoT after last episode. I will go ahead and spoil it just incase we decide that's the route we go...

[spoil:zowygdwm]-Robb Stark was one of the two remaining characters I want to see win the throne. Stannis is cool, but I just don't think he is fit to lead. All that is left now is Danny. I still care about Arya's story arc and to an extent Jon Snow, and of course the Imp and Jamie...But that leads to the problem in my next point...

-This just shows that, even if you are one of the best characters in the show, you can die. Because of this... I feel like just removing all attachment to the characters because there doesn't seem to be any point in it. How do I know Danny doesn't die next episode? And when she dies, I really couldn't give a shit what happens anymore... the Lannisters would have won. I guess the family Jeofry is marrying still interests me and has a chance...but meh.

-On the two bright sides...

1. I have the feeling Jeofry and that Greyjoy guy (the dad) should die soon, since the priestess said their names as well. But at this point, I don't even give a fuck if Jeofry dies... I have had so much rage bottled at the little bitch and have wanted to see him suffer a terrible death, but now that rage is completely dwarfed by my hatred of the Freys.

2. I do have ONE more reason to watch it... I want to see Frey suffer. I don't mean die humiliating like Robb. I don't mean being betrayed and beheaded like Ned. I don't even mean torture like Theron has to endure.

I want to see an entire season dedicated to this man being slowly tortured and broken. Everything that has happened to Theron, I want to be multiplied by 10. I want to see his entire fucking families' heads on pikes, his castle burned and his torture to be a public spectacle. And bloody fuck I want to see Lord Bolton flayed and choked with his own entrails.

You might not have guessed it... but this scene made me extremely mad :|.[/spoil:zowygdwm]
My my, you certainly are invested in the characters!!  But that's good, honest.  Also find it odd, you are not the first person I  have heard express the desire to quit watching.  When this "episode" happened in the book, I didn't feel that way.  Maybe it was really more powerful on TV.

I know it hurts when Martin kills off characters, but I'm sure by now you have realized he does this more often than other writers.  It is terribly painful, I have been left in tears on numerous occasions, but at the same time, that is what makes this whole story SO BLOODY BRILLIANT.  It's real.  In most stories, you know the "good" guy isn't going to die, so even if there is a massive threat/war/battle, even if he gets badly injured, you know he'll pull through.  It makes traditional "heroic" style story telling a little bland and predictable.  Real life is not like that, in real life people we like die, sometimes suddenly and without warning, unfairly and ignominiously, and bad, stupid asshat people sometimes come out on top.

Ok, hope none of that is spoilers because I didn't name one name.  Just general story principal which even only season one watchers should understand.

But now, onto stuff that may spoil for people not up to season 3, episode 9, also very slight spoiler for the future, just to calm some people down, not major, no names named or anything, I promise!

[spoil:zowygdwm]They aren't going to kill of every likable character, or no one would watch or read the story.  Some live, some die, but I guarantee you that at least one (probably more) of your favorite characters is going to be alive and doing interesting things 2 seasons from now.  Neither Martin nor the TV writers would stab themselves in the foot by destroying all the interesting characters and leaving us with a cast of unlikable douchbags.[/spoil:zowygdwm]

About this episode specifically:

[spoil:zowygdwm]If I remember correctly Shiranu, you don't like Arya right?  That's too bad.  I found her story the most compelling tonight.  The lucky/unlucky child who survives the slow destruction of her family, but is forever altered by repeatedly witnessing it.  At least she didn't see them die this time.

And Dany IS on fire isn't she.  Capturing a city without hardly even having to fight for it.  She's hard and soft in all the right places (physically and psychologically, hehe.)

I thought Jon's story got a lot better tonight as well, as did Bran's. Arya and Jon both defending old men...Arya successfully, Jon not so much, but they are still alike in many ways.  And Jon missing Bran and Rickon by yards!

I really hope the finale (episode 10) is what I hope it is.  I really....really...need it, too. Catharsis.[/spoil:zowygdwm]
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Aroura33

Quote from: "Shiranu"Oh no, I do like Arya.
Oh, that's good then.   :-D
[spoil:1ny3zslw]You should enjoy season 4 then.  She has a GREAT story arc coming.[/spoil:1ny3zslw]
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

To recap my previous reviews of the show:

[spoil:2fvekjuo]Stannis is my king.
Varys is my BFF.
Tyrion is kind of a nice guy, but his spendthrift ways are annoying.
I liked Dany before she went Danybraham Lincoln.
The Lannisters and the Starks are terrible and I hope they both lose the war.
Poor Theon   :(
Littlefinger scares me.
I hope Sam (aka sack of crap) dies.
I hope Jaimie dies.
I hope Cersei dies.
I hope Joffrey dies.
Tywinn is pretty cool, so he lives.

I'm contemplating a fanfic where Stannis takes King's Landing before Tywinn's forces get there.  Joffrey and Cersei die.  Cersei by poison, Joffrey runs and is hunted down through the castle and almost makes it out a window before he's plugged by a crossbow bolt and falls to his death.  Tywinn's forces are intercepted and Tywinn ultimately surrenders.  Tyrion is wounded in battle but survives and is briefly imprisoned before being pardoned to live the rest of his life at Casterly Rock with his "funny whore".  Jaimie tries to escape from Brienne and gets himself killed by locals after he overplays his [s:2fvekjuo]hand[/s:2fvekjuo] position.  Stannis frees Sansa and the Starks conclude their war and march back North.  Arya makes it back to Winterfell on her own a few months later (a few years later, she leaves again to Braavos for "dancing lessons").  Sensing the changing political conditions, the Greyjoys postpone their rebellion indefinitely.   Stannis becomes King.  Davos Seaworth becomes Hand of the King.  Melissandra, Varys, and Littlefinger also advice the King, with obvious bad blood between everyone, Davos and Melissandra have great influence, Varys a moderate amount (or so he'd lead you to believe) and Littlefinger has almost no influence and grows increasingly frustrated.  Stannis restaffs the wall and pushes back the whitewalkers (with copious amounts of fire).  When Dany invades, she pushes hard, and it's a pretty close fight, but Stannis ultimately prevails.  Everyone is happy except the people who are dead.  The End.[/spoil:2fvekjuo]

Hydra009

Season 3, Episode 9 review:

[spoil:17axai1t]Robb and his mum have both been taking crazy pills this episode.  Robb:  "If we take Tywinn's castle from him, his people will realize he's not invincible and take his power."  Oh really? That's exactly what happened to you, and you're still kicking.   :-k  And Lady Stark (who feels really bad about wanting a kid to die once and even is tenderhearted enough to spring Jaimie to end hostilities) says, and I quote: "Show them [the Lannisters] how it feels to lose what they love."  *jawdrops*

Lord Frey is great.  Such a character.  LOL.

Daario is SooOO Jaqen.  He even does the "A man" thing.  And Ser Friendzone is slightly jealous though understandably suspicious.

Crap Sack's girlfriend is even more of an idiot than he is.  Yes, you can know things by reading about them.  But Crap Sack should bear in mind that old books recount old conditions that may have changed in the interim.  Idiot.

Arya is definitely going to make some heads roll when she gets older.

Right as the Wildling army rushes up to that poor old man's house, my roomie said "What's in your wallet?"   :rollin:

Hodor.  HODOR.  HODOR!  Assuming direct control.  HOD-- ZzzZzzz

Meanwhile, the other Warg screws over Jon by presenting him with a Kill this kitten dilemma.  Jon wins, but Warg attacks him as an eagle.  Since he's dead, is he trapped as an eagle now?  Or does he lose control when he dies?

Grey Worm is badass in battle.  He's freakin' boss with that spear.  Then they're surrounded by practically all of Yunkai's guards.  And cut.  And suddenly, they all survived and the city is theirs.   :-s   Go Dany.  (he said with sarcastic enthusiasm)  She's 2/2 on victories against Yunkai despite not doing a damn thing herself.

And the other shoe drops.  Lord Frey kills everybody.  Right out of the blue.  Lord Bolton is even in on it.  Good for the guard for not letting the Hound in.  Probably trying to spare the Hound, but the Hound's too much of an idiot to realize it.  All that bloodshed is a bit much for reneging on a wedding plan, don'tcha think?

Poor Arya.  So close...[/spoil:17axai1t]

Aroura33

QuoteDaario is SooOO Jaqen. He even does the "A man" thing. And Ser Friendzone is slightly jealous though understandably suspicious.
You do realize that people from the same country often have similar speech patterns and stuff?  I mean, Mellisandre and even the SLAVE Dany rescued also said "Valar Morgulis".  I mean, it could be him, but he's from the same part of the world, so also maybe not.

Also, although they are half brothers and look kind of the same, that's Jon north of the wall, not Robb...lol
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

Quote from: "Aroura33"Also, although they are half brothers and look kind of the same, that's Jon north of the wall, not Robb...lol
Fixed.

[spoil:1urwnsgm]
QuoteYou do realize that people from the same country often have similar speech patterns and stuff?
There's so many other things, though.  (sadly that post is gone forever)

Jaqen leaves.  Presumably leaves Westeroes.  Tropes being what they are he's too good a character to put him on a bus forever. Suddenly, a character with many of his same character traits is introduced in Dany's plot.  Apparently, an expert assassin as well as a damn good warrior, with an awfully familiar audaciousness to him.  And gets very close to Dany.  Close to her heart...[/spoil:1urwnsgm]

stromboli

Season ender next week. More surprises. Don't miss.

missingnocchi

I started watching the show a while ago. Only a couple episodes in, but I'm halfway through A Dance with Dragons in the book series. From the discussion, I can tell what point you're at. Actually, I stopped reading the books for a while after that point, but I'm really glad I started again. There is still a lot of cool stuff that's going to happen in season 3, so don't lose hope.

My opinion of the TV adaptation is that everything is perfect, except for Ned Stark. I think he isn't cast well to play the character I knew in the book, and it seems like the result of that is a somewhat different Ned. On the other hand, Robb's portrayal actually enhances my view of him in the books. He isn't nearly as fleshed out as the other characters in the original books, and most of my desire for him to succeed was driven by hating the Lannisters. Now I can actually feel the power of the Young Wolf.
What's a "Leppo?"

stromboli

I think the problem from an author's point of view is that he knows certain characters like Robb, Viserys and Khal Drogo are going to be toast at some point, so he isn't necessarily going to invest a lot into fleshing out the character. Ned Stark might be a good example also. In his case I think Sean Bean was almost a foregone conclusion to play him. I noted when reading that certain characters do tend to be more developed- Brienne, Tyrion, Arya and Sansa, for example, than their initial importance in the story. This is an indication of their future, in my opinion. At the beginning when reading, I never thought Tyrion would become so central. Give Martin credit, he knows how to upend traditional plotting and give it a fresh twist.

I'm dying for the next volume to come out because Martin left some major WTF? at the end of the last book. He really aggravated me with that.

Hydra009

S3E9 spoilders:

[spoil:q6iwl9cw]

Oh you.   :lol:

He's not taking his character's death very well.  I sorta feel bad for him, but on the other hand, Richard Madden is a lucky, lucky man.  He has the impossible girlfriend.

When I was your age, I would have broken 50 oaths to get into that.   :-D[/spoil:q6iwl9cw]

stromboli