News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Do I believe in God?"

Started by GSOgymrat, August 20, 2016, 08:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

IF a god is simply being deified then we and most of perhaps all living creatures are gods. For how does a mere rabbit view it's mother?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on August 22, 2016, 09:25:25 PM
IF a god is simply being deified then we and most of perhaps all living creatures are gods. For how does a mere rabbit view it's mother?

You are right.  Deify has many meanings, some of which can apply to anyone or anything (The door knob as a higher power is much touted to unbelievers in Alcoholics Anonymous, possibly as training wheels until you move on to the "real" higher power you are expected to deify, the one beloved and deified by Bill Wilson the founder of AA).  While it can apply to anyone, I myself, have never suspected anyone of deifying me, and I doubt that rabbits are capable of enough abstract reasoning to demonstrate much more that a demand to be nursed.  But I think the definition of "deify" as used in the definition of "god" means to assign a certain exceptionality to a thing or being, an exceptionality beyond that of a mother or father.  But I might have read too much into it.

Edit:  How much one needs to carry deification to the extent necessary to assign god status to a being, thing, or imagined construct, might be proportionately equivalent to how flakey a person is.

Baruch

Gaia or Demeter strikes again ;-)  Just don't invite Hera.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 21, 2016, 04:52:44 PM
Edit:  and I should add that the particular Pantheist friend, actually worshiped and defied the universe.  At least I have to accept his claim on its face value.
Well, the universe has the decency to actually exist, so that at least counts in his favor.

Of course, Prince Philip also exists, and by the 'that which is deified' definition, he's a god, and with a lot more evidence of his real existence than Yahweh, Allah, Ahura Mazda, take your pick.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 27, 2016, 03:20:23 PM
Well, the universe has the decency to actually exist, so that at least counts in his favor.

Of course, Prince Philip also exists, and by the 'that which is deified' definition, he's a god, and with a lot more evidence of his real existence than Yahweh, Allah, Ahura Mazda, take your pick.

English much? ;-)

Americans prefer the neaveau riche.  Princess Diana die for the sins of the current monarchy?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2016, 07:54:53 PM
English much? ;-)

Americans prefer the neaveau riche.  Princess Diana die for the sins of the current monarchy?
She doesn't have a cargo cult built around her.  Just a plain old garden variety cult of celebrity.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 27, 2016, 11:28:48 PM
She doesn't have a cargo cult built around her.  Just a plain old garden variety cult of celebrity.

Right, the cargo cult are the welfare recipients in the UK ... and their comrades in the USSA.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I don't and never did acknowledge any Princess Di here.   We don't have any royalty in the US .  Even if we WERE relatives.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 15, 2016, 11:44:45 AM
I don't and never did acknowledge any Princess Di here.   We don't have any royalty in the US .  Even if we WERE relatives.

I am distantly related to QEII ... please bow and genuflect when addressing me ;-))

Oh come now ... American royalty are movie and TV actors, rock stars, tycoons etc.  You know, neuveau riche.  European royalty are ye old riche.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Zonker Harris is an English Duke.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

I thought Zonker gave that up at some point...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!