News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ben-Hur Again?

Started by SGOS, August 19, 2016, 09:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I remember the splash this movie made in the 1950s.  I rented it from Netflix a few years ago, back when they had almost any movie you could name in their vast inventory of DVDs.  But I wasn't very moved by it like I was when I was ten.  The plot seemed basic and straight forward.  And not as much action as I remembered.  It has a Christian message, but at ten, it never occurred to me to subject that to critical thought.  Slavery, pain, angst, sweat, and heroism, and a leading actress with a 1950s very un-Roman hairdo.  All in all, not much of a movie by today's standards, but epic for it's time.  I doubt that I'll go see the remake, although I'll probably rent the DVD later.  Critics are unimpressed.  Viewers so so.  If it was one percentage point lower from viewers it would get a green splat, rather than a red tomato.

For some reason, it seems like an odd movie to remake, and I don't remember Christians raving about it like they do about "God is not Dead" or "Near Death, Unexplainable Perceptions; Therefore, God." movies.

Gawdzilla Sama

I used to have the drum beats from the naval battle on my cell phone.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Good original ... but audiences today are jaded with scifi special effects.  Also it is really a Jewish movie, not a Christian one.  The book was written by a Civil War general, Lew Wallace.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

Was there even a slight chance a Ben-Hur remake was going to be any good?

I think not. All remakes are shit. The better the original, the worse the remake.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

SGOS

Quote from: Nonsensei on August 25, 2016, 12:11:14 AM
Was there even a slight chance a Ben-Hur remake was going to be any good?

I think not. All remakes are shit. The better the original, the worse the remake.

It's also a boring plot to anyone but those who get off on having the story of struggle and redemption through Jesus told to them one more time.  It serves a specific niche group, but probably has broad appeal to young children as an adventure story.  When I saw the original as an adult the second time, I thought it was kind of a crappy movie.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2016, 06:59:51 PM
Good original ... but audiences today are jaded with scifi special effects.  Also it is really a Jewish movie, not a Christian one.
CGI can be used to get impossible shots, but if it's even slightly "off" the audience will notice. 
QuoteThe book was written by a Civil War general, Lew Wallace.
Lew Wallace was a native of Crawfordsville, Indiana, just west of Indianapolis. I found a signed copy of this book in a used book store there. Price, $3.00. The counter person had never heard of him.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 25, 2016, 09:35:15 AM
I found a signed copy of this book in a used book store there. Price, $3.00. The counter person had never heard of him.

Have you ever determined its collector value?

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on August 25, 2016, 10:35:41 AM

They need to do a feminist version, "Ben Him"; with copious nudity. No other reason than I just happen to like copious nudity. Carry on.

Materialist99

It is amazing, to me, how many people liked the Ben Hur movie of 1959. I saw it back then when I was 9 or 10 years old, and I was bored to death. I think it had about 15 minutes of action in a 4-hour movie. One of the worst movie experiences in my life.

stromboli

Quote from: Materialist99 on August 25, 2016, 10:54:27 AM
It is amazing, to me, how many people liked the Ben Hur movie of 1959. I saw it back then when I was 9 or 10 years old, and I was bored to death. I think it had about 15 minutes of action in a 4-hour movie. One of the worst movie experiences in my life.

One reason the movie was popular was because a stunt man got killed in the chariot race. Morbid curiosity from all the good Xtian audience.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on August 25, 2016, 11:43:48 AM
One reason the movie was popular was because a stunt man got killed in the chariot race. Morbid curiosity from all the good Xtian audience.

And lore has it that they left the scene in the movie.  Actually, there is a sequence of scenes with a chariot being driver dragged, crushed, and bloodied, and it sure looks authentic.  Some of the sequence is quite vivid.  If that was the stunt driver, it looked like they would have gone out of their way to film it.  "Hey let the horse run around the race track a couple more times.  I want to get some film of the drivers face being dragged.  And I need to setup closer to the middle of the track.  With any luck, a wheel might roll over his head, and that would be spectacular."

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 25, 2016, 10:35:41 AM
No, it's in storage right now with my other books, in barrels over-pressurized with nitrogen. Expensive compared to "normal" storage, but the books are well cared for.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on August 25, 2016, 12:32:18 PM
And lore has it that they left the scene in the movie.  Actually, there is a sequence of scenes with a chariot being driver dragged, crushed, and bloodied, and it sure looks authentic.  Some of the sequence is quite vivid.  If that was the stunt driver, it looked like they would have gone out of their way to film it.  "Hey let the horse run around the race track a couple more times.  I want to get some film of the drivers face being dragged.  And I need to setup closer to the middle of the track.  With any luck, a wheel might roll over his head, and that would be spectacular."

As I recall it was someone who fell off a chariot and got knocked out, and then run over by a following chariot before they could get him out of the way. It was cut, but the actions of other crew members trying to get him out of the way was still visible.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 25, 2016, 09:35:15 AMLew Wallace was a native of Crawfordsville, Indiana, just west of Indianapolis. I found a signed copy of this book in a used book store there. Price, $3.00. The counter person had never heard of him.
Excellent! What kind of condition? Now might be a good time to sell it! :mrgreen:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

The full title of the book is actually, Ben Hur: A Story of the Christ.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com