Question for atheist bible belt people regarding social acceptance

Started by shadowsfall, August 17, 2016, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 19, 2016, 07:31:41 AM
I'm open about it, and it has never been an issue in Central Texas.

Austin, right?  Not real Texas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

I never, ever talk about it. If asked directly, I turn the question around. "So, how about you?" So far, that's worked perfectly.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2016, 07:46:24 PM
I have heard bad things about Midwest people ... so don't believe stereotypes.

I see what you did there.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

I have lived in Michigan, Washington, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. None of these states have nicer people than any other state. I have met peeps from all over the world and they are not any less better than any one else….shit be that some people are assholes. Maybe you meet 4 of them from the same area in one week. Don't fret. Most people are pretty nice.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr. Pibb

In my experience social acceptance has been largely dependent on whether or not I am in a rural setting versus an urban setting and not a specific geographic area.  Having grown up in and around Austin, TX, being a nonbeliever was never an issue.  Where I currently reside, in rural Indiana, the reaction is different.  It is pity, curiosity, disbelief, etc rather than pitchforks and knives.  There is an awkwardness too. Especially when it comes to things like group prayer or not standing for God Bless America. There are always those that try to proselytize once they discover I'm an atheist.  That is probably the most annoying reaction.  I am not ostracized by society though; forced to wear the scarlet A.  While I am open about it, I don't advertise my lack of faith.  Like a previous poster stated it usually becomes apparent when religion and philosophy are being discussed or they straight out ask. 

Gawdzilla Sama

I have lived near St. Louis since March, '07, and the religion issue has never come up in my day-to-day life. I hear "Have a blessed day", which I take as a concession to the religious who wanted something to say that sounded religious but didn't actually mention religion.

And yeah, even that has its limits. Once or twice people have glared at me for not replying in kind. Very small number, so I don't count it as significant.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Feral Atheist

Out in the rural areas, you are judged solely by the church you go to.  Be introduced to someone new, and one of the first questions you may be asked is "where y'all church?"

My favorite response (when I don't really care whom I offend) is to tell them "I'm a god fearing atheist" and watch the waves of confusion wash over their face.  Learned that one from my mother, a very outspoken women when women were 'supposed' to be seen but not heard, and certainly not to have an opinion.

Cities and larger town, not much of an issue, and you find there are many like minded people around, or if they are not an atheist, they have zero use for religion.

For what it is worth, if not believing in their fairy tale is not acceptable to them, then they are too ignorant and hateful to associate with, and I am happier with their absence.

OBTW, NC native here......
In dog beers I've only had one.

Jack89

I lived in Texas, North Carolina and Virginia for many years when I was an atheist and never had a problem.  I've also been deep into Hillbilly country along the Appalachians with no issues.  In fact, I find rural southern folk to be very nice people as a whole.

Sal1981

Used to be a big deal here in the Faroes, but LGBT kinda included religous tolerance and freedom of belief in its very succesful movement. I can't complain.

Contemporary Protestant

I am in rural Arkansas, most people I am around are religious and educated (I go to a christian university). When I tell people I am not the same as them, first they are disturbed, then they try and argue with me, then they dont mention it again like ever again

Cavebear

And then they just shun you in ways you don't see at first, LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Contemporary Protestant

Well yeah, I am certain I would lose my jobs if it became public knowledge. I am a desk assistant (in application process to be an RA), a teaching assistant for freshman chemistry, and a research assistant

Johan

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 27, 2016, 01:31:07 AM
Well yeah, I am certain I would lose my jobs if it became public knowledge. I am a desk assistant (in application process to be an RA), a teaching assistant for freshman chemistry, and a research assistant
But that couldn't possibly ever happen. Job discrimination based on religious beliefs is against the law.*

*Warning: May contain sarcasm.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

doorknob

I personally keep it a secret because the moment you tell some one around here is the moment they start jamming it down your throat. Christians are very pushy with there belief around here.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!