Question for atheist bible belt people regarding social acceptance

Started by shadowsfall, August 17, 2016, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowsfall

Hello all, it's been a while for me. Had a question for my southern US friends. Had a quick question for those who live in the good old 'bible belt' geographic area. Are you socially accepted down there by our christian citizens?

I ask this because I recently visited Gatlinburg (I live in Michigan) and my friends and I kept remarking on how nice everyone in the south was. They were much kinder and more friendly than everyone else in our state--not that this would be hard. On our way back, however, we did debate if they would have been cool with us all being atheists.

Let me know what you think.
SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNIE!

Hydra009

North Carolinian here.  I'm sorta closeted (I don't deny it, but I don't advertise that I'm an atheist), so few people I deal with know that I'm an atheist.  I'd imagine that it wouldn't go over terribly well with family - a big chunk of one side is extremely religious (we're talking YECs and Billy Graham fans), the other not so much.  I've told coworkers a couple times, and the reactions range from mild disapproval to no big deal.  There's a bit of a generational gap.

So basically, it varies.  But my overall impression is that atheists aren't particularly well liked here, though that varies by region and age.

I think there's some truth to the southern hospitality idea.  Don't get me wrong, there are still assholes, but most people will hold doors open and help out in minor stuff and be relatively nice.  People will still explode when pressed, but the baseline is pretty amiable compared to say, D.C. or New York.

It's just that atheism is still kinda taboo here, like being gay or trans.  Some people won't care, but some people will give you dirty looks.  It sucks, but times are changing and Generation X and younger are much less hostile.

Baruch

I have heard bad things about Midwest people ... so don't believe stereotypes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I also live in North Carolina. Family and friends know, some coworkers know, anyone who pays attention to my Facebook comments knows. I almost never say "I'm an atheist" but if I engage in topics about philosophy or religion it becomes apparent I'm not religious. I've had people send me sermons, I've had people not care, I've had people agree, I had one coworker burst into tears but often I get this kind of general sense of disappointment. My husband has said he really wishes I believed in God, especially when he has had cancer because I could pray, but he also says he knew from the beginning and to expect me to change was unrealistic.

Gawdzilla Sama

My cousins have offered to prove God exists by sending me to see him. They don't say that out loud any more.

The farther you get from paved roads and electric lights the more likely you are to run into someone who'll make an issue out of believing anything other than what they believe. (This is a state of mind thing more than a geographic one.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 17, 2016, 08:37:27 PM
My cousins have offered to prove God exists by sending me to see him. They don't say that out loud any more.

The farther you get from paved roads and electric lights the more likely you are to run into someone who'll make an issue out of believing anything other than what they believe. (This is a state of mind thing more than a geographic one.)

Relatives?

Blackleaf

I live in Texas. I have to keep my lack of faith a secret or else my parents would cut me off from seeing my sister. My family, immediate and extended, considers church attendance to be "the most important thing." (That's a quote from my grandmother.) The younger generation is far less bigoted than the older generation, and are more likely to accept atheists, but the Bible belt is far from being a welcoming area for open atheists.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 17, 2016, 11:44:29 PM
I get more of a Hatfield picture when Gawdzilla talks about his relatives.

Lotta happy faces in that bunch. Even the dog looks kinda somber.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

widdershins

Fortunately I live in the Tornado Belt instead of the Bible Belt.
This sentence is a lie...

barearth82

Im not an advertiser of it, but if people ask I am open. I've only once gone out of my way to let someone know, and they felt really bad about being judgemental, thats what I was going for.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: shadowsfall on August 17, 2016, 05:42:25 PM
Hello all, it's been a while for me. Had a question for my southern US friends. Had a quick question for those who live in the good old 'bible belt' geographic area. Are you socially accepted down there by our christian citizens?

I ask this because I recently visited Gatlinburg (I live in Michigan) and my friends and I kept remarking on how nice everyone in the south was. They were much kinder and more friendly than everyone else in our state--not that this would be hard. On our way back, however, we did debate if they would have been cool with us all being atheists.

Let me know what you think.

What do you think? I presume most atheists tend to hang out with other like minded people and, go figure, Christians look down upon them, most likely call them "damaged", "corrupt", "in need of Jesus". I'd recommend getting out of the states ASAP and move to a much more progressive and peaceful society live Norway or Denmark. Scandinavian countries are largely atheistic.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

drunkenshoe

I have always been open about it, but then I have never lived in the bible belt of the country I live in.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

I'm open about it, and it has never been an issue in Central Texas.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur