News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Answers for Muslims

Started by Hydra009, August 15, 2016, 02:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op53jMFsicU

In true Buzzfeed style, they're not actually questions, they're a bunch of complaints disguised as questions.  That's fine.  I just wished they titled it correctly.  Needless to say, most of these complaints are stupid.

But I want to address the bacon thing.  I live in a state with a lot of pork production (which probably isn't the best idea from an environmental or health standpoint, but that's a topic for another day).  Bacon is everywhere.  People around here love bacon and stores cater to their preferences.  Muslims generally avoid consuming pork, as do lots of Jews.  But unlike Jews, every now and then there's a big fuss because a Muslim worker refused to handle or sell pork while working at an establishment that sells pork.  Exhibit A and B.  Sometimes, it's the same deal for alcohol, apparently.  While they're of course free to decide what they willing to eat and drink, that choice doesn't override the customer's choice to purchase and consume pork or alcohol.  Nor do they have to accept a job at a place that sells pork or alcohol if they're not willing to fulfill the requirements of the job (selling pork or alcohol).

So yeah, if you're a Muslim following strict dietary laws and you feel under siege by bacon adverts and second-hand bacon (seeing bacon, smelling bacon, being in the presence of bacon, etc), observant Jews and vegans feel your pain and can try to help you cope.  Maybe form a support group or something.  One day at a time, people.  One day at a time.

PickelledEggs

Buzzfeed... Making non-points since it's founding.

Shiranu

QuoteSo yeah, if you're a Muslim following strict dietary laws and you feel under siege by bacon adverts and second-hand bacon (seeing bacon, smelling bacon, being in the presence of bacon, etc), observant Jews and vegans feel your pain and can try to help you cope.  Maybe form a support group or something.  One day at a time, people.  One day at a time.

I want this to become a thing so bad.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 16, 2016, 12:17:15 AM
I want this to become a thing so bad.

"It's raining bacon, hallelujah it's raining bacon, amen!"
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

It's like not issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.  It's just religious bullshit that affects the lives of people around you who are expected to alter their lives to accommodate your silly superstitions.

stromboli

Yeah so anything that tastes good or is enjoyable is bad. Can't masturbate but you can rape a woman so long as you marry her afterward. Bacon? Nah. Rape an infidel or marry a 10 year old? No problem. Slaves? No sweat. Gays marrying? God will punish us all. Love religion I truly do.

Carry on.

Blackleaf

Leave shitty Muslim country to go to America. Try to change America to be more like the shitty Muslim country you left.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

pr126

QuoteIt's like not issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.
But at least they don't get thrown off high buildings or hanged (Iran) or stoned to death (Afghanistan).

A minor, but important difference.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on August 16, 2016, 12:20:02 PM
But at least they don't get thrown off high buildings or hanged (Iran) or stoned to death (Afghanistan).

A minor, but important difference.

Doesn't happen in America either, but it does in Latin America... which is a notoriously Muslim region...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on August 16, 2016, 11:50:32 PM
Doesn't happen in America either, but it does in Latin America... which is a notoriously Muslim region...
I thought Latin America was all about the virgin Mary appearing on tortillas or some shit.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on August 16, 2016, 10:16:41 AMYeah so anything that tastes good or is enjoyable is bad. Can't masturbate but you can rape a woman so long as you marry her afterward. Bacon? Nah. Rape an infidel or marry a 10 year old? No problem. Slaves? No sweat. Gays marrying? God will punish us all. Love religion I truly do.
Yeah, these rules are severely out of step nowadays, but back then, there might have been some logic to some of that stuff (though, of course rape and slavery are always reprehensible).  The prohibition against eating pigs makes a lot of sense when pig eaters start dropping dead.

Like a lot of religions, the ethics are kludged together from tradition and divine decree (and god suspiciously requires a mortal to convey these important dictates).  They're not open to reform, so when modern sanitation methods make pork safe to eat, it's still just as sinful as it ever was.  Divine command morality keeps believers stuck in the past.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 17, 2016, 12:13:02 AM
I thought Latin America was all about the virgin Mary appearing on tortillas or some shit.

Virgin Mary tortillas, soccer fanatics and people who take their Catholicism a wee-bit too seriously.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on August 17, 2016, 12:20:51 AM
Virgin Mary tortillas, soccer fanatics and people who take their Catholicism a wee-bit too seriously.
I just realized you were being sarcastic in that first post, and it flew right over my head. I shouldn't try to be witty when I've been up for 18 hours...
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 17, 2016, 12:22:39 AM
I just realized you were being sarcastic in that first post, and it flew right over my head. I shouldn't try to be witty when I've been up for 18 hours...

All good, I actually took your post as joking around so neither of us seem to be on the same page.