News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Imam Shot and Killed in Queens, New York

Started by Shiranu, August 13, 2016, 06:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-shooting-idUSKCN10O0X4

QuoteA Muslim imam was killed and a second man was critically wounded on Saturday while walking home from afternoon prayers at a mosque in the New York City borough of Queens, according to media reports that cited witnesses to the shooting.

Tiffany Phillips, a spokeswoman for the New York Police Department, confirmed that two men in their 50's were shot on a street in the Ozone Park section of Queens.

One of them was killed and the second was gravely wounded, but Phillips declined to provide any more information about their identities.
Police have yet to identify a suspect and the motive was still unknown, she said.

The shooting took place at about 2 p.m. EDT (02:00 p.m. EDT) two blocks from the Al-Furqan Jame Masjid Mosque, where the two men had worshiped, New York's NBC television reported. The iman was killed and the second man was wounded, it said on its website.

I'm sure the rampant fear mongering ideology of Trump, Republicans, right-wingers and xenophobes cannot be to blame, though. It never is when innocents get murdered.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nonsensei

In NYC? The motive could literally be anything.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Shiranu

Quote from: Nonsensei on August 13, 2016, 07:59:22 PM
In NYC? The motive could literally be anything.

The motive anywhere could literally be anything. We can only go by what the most likely motive was, which as it stands would be xenophobia given how heavily permeated certain moronic sections of our society have become by it. Especially when he was shot leaving a mosque.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

If the victims were also African-American ... then there is an obvious motive.  If they were non-African-American ... the motive would have been different.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

Quote from: Shiranu on August 13, 2016, 08:09:38 PM
The motive anywhere could literally be anything. We can only go by what the most likely motive was, which as it stands would be xenophobia given how heavily permeated certain moronic sections of our society have become by it. Especially when he was shot leaving a mosque.

MMmmmmmmnaahhh. If these guys were shot in the Bible belt it would be far more likely that it was religiously motivated.

Shiranu

Quote from: Nonsensei on August 13, 2016, 08:45:08 PM
MMmmmmmmnaahhh. If these guys were shot in the Bible belt it would be far more likely that it was religiously motivated.

Implying New York isn't full of right wing lunatics? Do you forget that New York has a recent history of Jews and Muslims ( and Sikhs) being assaulted for looking "like terrorists"?

Cocoa Beware

Of late have people been targeting and killing Muslims in the US for the reasons you specify?

If there was something incontrovertible here like an outright declaration on behalf of the killer, and/or substantial correlative data, then that would definitely be worth listening to.

pr126

What if the xenophobic rightwing loon turned out to be another of the best of peoples, evolved for mankind?

Shiranu

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on August 14, 2016, 12:03:54 AM
Of late have people been targeting and killing Muslims in the US for the reasons you specify?

If there was something incontrovertible here like an outright declaration on behalf of the killer, and/or substantial correlative data, then that would definitely be worth listening to.

Of late, yes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/us/politics/crimes-against-muslim-americans-and-mosques-rise-sharply.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

QuoteHate crimes against Muslim Americans and mosques across the United States have tripled in the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif., with dozens occurring within just a month, according to new data.

Every time "Muslim" becomes a buzzword, a mosque is vandalized, Muslims or beat or, even better, Sikh temples are attacked because "hur dur tey ragheds amirite?" or Jews are assaulted because "he had der beard so obvisuly!". Or you could look at literally any minority in history ever who has been demonized and presented as the "impending doom to society as we know it!" and see how violence spikes as this sentiment spreads.

Quote from: pr126 on August 14, 2016, 12:31:40 AM
What if the xenophobic rightwing loon turned out to be another of the best of peoples, evolved for mankind?

Good to see you at least don't even pretend to care about people being murdered, and still cant believe that people commit acts of terrorism in the name of your hateful ideology. God but I wish you could appreciate the humour in how little you differ from the people you hate so much.

Nonsensei

Good to see you at least don't even pretend to care about people being murdered, and still cant believe that people commit acts of terrorism in the name of your hateful ideology. God but I wish you could appreciate the humour in how little you differ from the people you hate so much.

Let just be absolutely clear. You don't give a crap about them either. You're using their deaths to push a narrative before all the facts are known.

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Nonsensei on August 14, 2016, 01:16:35 AM
Let just be absolutely clear. You don't give a crap about them either. You're using their deaths to push a narrative before all the facts are known.

^

bINGOOO

pr126

Shiranu wrote:[/quote]
Quotein the name of your hateful ideology.
I have asked you several times to name the hateful ideology that you accuse me of.
Still waiting.

Johan

Shiranu, have you been to NYC? Have you experienced the culture there? I have and I'm with Nonsensei, it could have been literally anything.

If we were talking about a shooting of two muslims walking home from a mosque taking place in Columbus or St Louis or Kansas City then I would agree that there stands a good chance trump supporters were on the other end of the gun. But in NYC that chance is reduced to the point that its literally a nothing more than a dice roll. It could be their muslim background. But there is just as much a chance that it could be because they happened to be on that particular street at that particular time and nothing more.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

I am in NYC almost every other week. Like Johan said, it literally could have been anything. You're speculating, Shiranu.