what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

Quote from: doorknob on August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

I could only believe in a god if they believed in themselves. I'm not a fan of deities with low self-esteem.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 18, 2017, 05:58:20 PM
And even within the same religion.  Christianity has so many sects that there really is not a set of universal rules for them.

See what happens when you don't understand Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Aramaic and Judeo-Greek?  Stupid gentiles!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Aletheia on May 18, 2017, 06:55:30 PM
I could only believe in a god if they believed in themselves. I'm not a fan of deities with low self-esteem.

Zeus is more of a party animal, often hiding in animal form.  Such a Greek fraternity guy!  Not ... toga, toga ... but chiton, chiton ... the toga is Latin, not Greek.  Jupiter wears a toga.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 17, 2017, 07:37:46 AM
a predator eating its prey alive (which happens quite often; they only bite the neck if they have to) and see how they try to worm out of God "intelligently designing" animals to behave that way.
parked a couple times at the junky Shell truck stop in Santa Nella. There was a sparrow that made a nest on the top of a telephone pole and a crow decided it wanted to eat the baby birds. It picked one up and pinned it down with its claw and proceeded to eat its belly while the baby was flapping its wings and flopping its head around. After it finished with the first it dropped the second one on the ground and ate its belly as well. I saw the baby afterward, the head and wings had not been touched; just the belly...

just another day in a world created by a god of love
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on May 18, 2017, 11:18:55 PM
parked a couple times at the junky Shell truck stop in Santa Nella. There was a sparrow that made a nest on the top of a telephone pole and a crow decided it wanted to eat the baby birds. It picked one up and pinned it down with its claw and proceeded to eat its belly while the baby was flapping its wings and flopping its head around. After it finished with the first it dropped the second one on the ground and ate its belly as well. I saw the baby afterward, the head and wings had not been touched; just the belly...

just another day in a world created by a god of love

I love to predate too.  Not many Gandhis out there.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

VioletHernan

I believe that God is the positive energy and Satan is the negative energy.

Baruch

Quote from: VioletHernan on May 29, 2017, 02:18:06 AM

Not a bad analogy.  But are electrons (negative charge) sinful?  Of course maybe negative charge isn't the same as negative energy.  In psychology, they have a different definition of energy, not from physics.  You can see this is some people, when they enter a room, everyone gets less optimistic and more pessimistic.  Anti-charisma.  I would analogize it as ... charisma vs anti-charisma.  Ironically, the Devil may be a party animal, but he is a drag on the party.  We have been told that Jesus is the real party animal ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Is thermal combustion positive or negative energy?  Or is there some physical component that is different when it's burning your house down, from when it's a crackling fire in the hearth?

Mike Cl

Interesting way of viewing it, Violet.  But I've always thought of Hansel as the positive energy and Gretel as the negative energy.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2017, 09:50:10 AM
Interesting way of viewing it, Violet.  But I've always thought of Hansel as the positive energy and Gretel as the negative energy.

They both put the witch in the oven.  Early thermodynamic experiment ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2017, 09:51:04 AM
They both put the witch in the oven.  Early thermodynamic experiment ;-)
Yeah, but one did the shoving and the other lit the gas.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 22, 2017, 10:20:50 AM
The best reason to believe in a God is the probable existence of a God.

I can go with possible...but never probable.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

I believe men are positive and bitches should shut up and bring me a sammich.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

I believe this is New Age drivel, to wit: it borrows terminology from an unrelated scientific field, applies said terms without explanation or justification to metaphysics, and attempts to appear pithily profound while actually saying nothing.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 30, 2017, 12:37:32 PM
I believe this is New Age drivel, to wit: it borrows terminology from an unrelated scientific field, applies said terms without explanation or justification to metaphysics, and attempts to appear pithily profound while actually saying nothing.

Perhaps the poster is very young, and needs a lot more cooking in the witch's oven, in order to become proper gingerbread ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.