what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Ananta Shesha on April 14, 2017, 03:33:19 PM
Real is real whether proven or not.

You're still using the modern (bastardized) version of faith which is no different from man made belief. Unfortunately believers have made this their ignorance blanket.

Gotta go old school for usage., Ephesians 2:8 states we are saved by grace through faith, it is not of our own doing, it is a gift of God. Of, not from. A gift of gold is very different from a gift from gold.

The proof is a personal revelatory experience of God. That is the authoring of faith.
I see a three step evolution of mind, first there is believing, then comes knowing, then comes doing.

Revelation is not proof, faith is not evidence, and personal belief matters only to you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SoldierofFortune

The best reason to believe in a God is the probable existence of a God.

SGOS

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 22, 2017, 10:20:50 AM
On the other hand, the best reason not to believe in a god is because of his probable non existence.  Or are you doing the Pascal's Wager satire?

SoldierofFortune

Pascal's mentality is similar to a merchant.
He makes a a bargain with a proobable God :)
How a sly person he is...as if he will deceive the God.
By the way, i do not know if he really believes in God or not.

But i will guarantee myself by remaining as an agnostic ahahaha

Baruch

Depends on what probability and existence mean to you ... very deep metaphysical concepts (with probability ... the difference between the frequency definition and the Baysian definition ... with existence ... see a hundred philosophers).

I have no problem with godlings/demigods ... and admittedly, pantheism could imply an impersonal "ground of being" rather than a personal theism.  But given my view of incarnation .. I am betting on personal theism, I would be very surprised if it works out differently.

If by probably existence, you mean empirical evidence for the monstrosity of Greco-Christian theology ... then I don't see that being probable at all.  Dancing angels on a pin are more likely.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 22, 2017, 11:17:46 AM

As a Jansenist, Pascal was like a French Quaker.  Quietists (general term) aren't orthodox Catholic nor Anglican.  Pascal was brilliant, but I don't think that theology was his main subject ... I don't think he could conceive of alternatives to minimalist-Catholicism ... like Descartes could (who created modern secular philosophy).  Modern pantheism was created by Spinoza ... who is one of the first modern men too.  I differ from Spinoza, in that I don't accept rationalism.  Spinoza was even more rational than Descartes.

Viking Christians hedged their bets ... their cross doubled as Thor's hammer.  Same with Pueblo Indians under Spanish domination ... the cross is also an image of their grasshopper god.  Egyptian Christians hedged their bets with the Isis cross.  I would suggest that atheists use the atom with swirling electrons symbol as a crypto-emblem  ... particularly effective if there are three electron elliptical orbits .. that can be explained away as the Holy Trinity, rather than Lithium.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 22, 2017, 11:17:46 AM

I recall a video I watched where addressing the Wager, when the speaker asked, "How would you like it, if after having provided so much in mathematics, other important insights, and contributions to practical mechanics, to be remembered only for the one hairbrained thing you thoughtlessly scribbled on a dinner napkin, probably after drinking too much wine."

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2017, 12:30:48 PM
I recall a video I watched where addressing the Wager, when the speaker asked, "How would you like it, if after having provided so much in mathematics, other important insights, and contributions to practical mechanics, to be remembered only for the one hairbrained thing you thoughtlessly scribbled on a dinner napkin, probably after drinking too much wine."

Inventor of the mechanical calculator ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_calculator
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 05:23:58 AM
Revelation is not proof, faith is not evidence, and personal belief matters only to you.
revelation come from getting drunk, faith is voodoo science, and personal belief can be the result of a good brain-washing.

and if personal experience counts for something, hot dam!!! The silence is deafening. aint no god within hundreds of miles when I pray. aint nobody around keeping the empty promises in the Bible.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on May 06, 2017, 04:06:05 PM
revelation come from getting drunk, faith is voodoo science, and personal belief can be the result of a good brain-washing.

and if personal experience counts for something, hot dam!!! The silence is deafening. aint no god within hundreds of miles when I pray. aint nobody around keeping the empty promises in the Bible.

Correct, literal interpretation even of literal writings is ... uneducated.  And focusing on the concrete, rather than the abstract, is keeping it real.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Possibly the purest example of circular reasoning I have ever seen!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 13, 2016, 08:46:38 PM
Star Trek? Yes. Many lessons about the world around us and it can be seen as a mythology of sorts. Star Wars though? Nah. not so much.

Doctor Who would also be something that can be seen as a religion of sorts

How much do you give possibility the humankind will create a galactic empire?
Do you think this is a modern times mytology or the reality that the science of today's and future's signs. Will it be possible?
The reason i ask this stems from my wonder that either the globalisation will be completed by somebodies or not. Imean the humankind will be one united at the future and then spread over the planets. We will settle there on planets and a new phase will begin in the history of humankind.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 16, 2017, 08:18:21 AM
How much do you give possibility the humankind will create a galactic empire?
We'll nuke ourselves to death before that happens. Either that or suffer a robot apocalypse.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 16, 2017, 09:40:25 AM
We'll nuke ourselves to death before that happens. Either that or suffer a robot apocalypse.
Either way, the future is right on track.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 16, 2017, 09:40:25 AM

I dont see the possibility that a nuclear bomb will ever be exploded.
This is a political game. The purpose is to make people be afraid of this.
And the brains that shape the global policy is making opportunities about how they threaten the world.

What do you mean by suffering a robot apocalypse?
Can you open this briefly?