what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: doorknob on August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
The only thing I can think of is if god would reveal himself to us. Other than that I can't think of any.
Tangible, repeatable, no-bars-held, evidence.

I won't hold my breath.

widdershins

The only thing I can think of is if god would reveal himself to us. Other than that I can't think of any.
The only reason anyone ever had for believing in any gods is to disguise ignorance as knowledge.  Can't explain it?  Explain it anyway.
This sentence is a lie...

g2perk

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 17, 2016, 07:37:16 AM
Tangible, repeatable, no-bars-held, evidence.

I won't hold my breath.
That's exactly what God offers.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 01:56:35 PM
That's exactly what God offers.

Really??? Care to share some of that???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

g2perk

This comes when you have a real relationship with Him. Not Religion. For one God protects is own. And if you are his own and you go through a hard time he guides you in the right direction.

Now this may seem far fetched for many but for those whom experienced it first hand. Its reality.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2016, 06:45:09 PM
Materialists don't follow Alan Watts .. enlightened beings do ;-)

If we are a program, the programmer might not seem to be god to you, until your subroutine gets deleted.  Aren't you afraid of the MS registry apocalypse?  I had a work computer that actually happened to.  Made a believer out of me ;-)

QuoteAn apocalypse (Ancient Greek: ἀποκάλÏ...ψιÏ, apokálypsis, from ἀπό and καλύπÏ,,ω meaning "uncovering"), translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation.

The word apocalypse is often misused to mean a catastrophic end of something, e.g., the world. Can I assume that's the sense you intend here?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 02:26:47 PM
This comes when you have a real relationship with Him. Not Religion. For one God protects is own. And if you are his own and you go through a hard time he guides you in the right direction.

Now this may seem far fetched for many but for those whom experienced it first hand. Its reality.

I see, then what you are talking about is simply subjective.  You cannot produce a single fact for your god.  I understand. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

mauricio

have you seen the movie contact?
Imo that was actually the central point in the movie and i think the conclusion where the god believer and the scientist came together because they both shared beliefs rejected by their scientific peers, but what determines truth is not the belief or disbelief of scientists but rather what is evidenced by the universe. So if I had an experience like the women scientist in the movie I would probably believe like her too.

Unbeliever

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 02:26:47 PM
God protects is own. And if you are his own and you go through a hard time he guides you in the right direction.
So when I can't seem to hit the right hole with my hard time, God will come to my rescue and get it right in for me?
God Not Found

g2perk

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 17, 2016, 05:11:49 PM
So when I can't seem to hit the right hole with my hard time, God will come to my rescue and get it right in for me?
Right and wrong....must be a believe before you receive the benefits.

g2perk

Quote from: mauricio on August 17, 2016, 05:09:44 PM
have you seen the movie contact?
Imo that was actually the central point in the movie and i think the conclusion where the god believer and the scientist came together because they both shared beliefs rejected by their scientific peers, but what determines truth is not the belief or disbelief of scientists but rather what is evidenced by the universe. So if I had an experience like the women scientist in the movie I would probably believe like her too.
I can agree with that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 05:25:43 PM
Right and wrong....must be a believe before you receive the benefits.
I guess that's why I don't get anything for Christmas anymore - I no longer believe in Santa Claus...
God Not Found

g2perk

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2016, 05:07:07 PM
I see, then what you are talking about is simply subjective.  You cannot produce a single fact for your god.  I understand.
O lord here we go with the subjective or not quote. Yeah my experience is my proof. What is your proof that God does not exist.

g2perk

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 17, 2016, 05:30:31 PM
I guess that's why I don't get anything for Christmas anymore - I no longer believe in Santa Claus...
I guess

Unbeliever

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 05:32:05 PM
O lord here we go with the subjective or not quote. Yeah my experience is my proof. What is your proof that God does not exist.
Hmm...my guess would be...his experience?
God Not Found