what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Perhaps the best argument for God is his divine creation exemplified by the perfection of man.  There can be no other explanation.

doorknob

well I was talking about a non specific god. I already know that all the world religions got it wrong. I was just thinking about it and wondered if there was some kind of reason to believe in a god since so many people do believe in one. But I want an example of a good reason not a shitty one as many Christians/ any one have so far.

I would ask a god if there was one and it finally revealed itself why it took so long to show up and what was it doing all this time any way? Well I have many more questions than that but those are the ones I'd start with. 

Mike Cl

Take a realistic look at nature.  They ask ---Why so cruel?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

The 'argument' theists make for god's existance is so often how I see a child telling other children in the playground their daddy is the best and can do anything, then when another kid tells him he isn't, or another kid says his daddies better, the original kid flips out and can't process the idea that anyone else other then he daddy can be amazing.

This kind of mentaliy I see carries into adulthood, where the daddy is god, and these people have a mental block to thinking their daddy-god could be anything besides perfect.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 15, 2016, 08:58:44 AM
Take a realistic look at nature.  They ask ---Why so cruel?

G-d isn't Santa, he is a Monster.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Duncle

If God revealed himself to me, I'd assume that I had either :
1. Been spiked with some kind of hallucinogen
or
2. Gone insane.

SGOS

Quote from: Duncle on August 16, 2016, 08:50:52 AM
If God revealed himself to me, I'd assume that I had either :
1. Been spiked with some kind of hallucinogen
or
2. Gone insane.

But, but... He's revealed himself so many times to others.  Why would your revelation be the fake one?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: doorknob on August 15, 2016, 08:40:41 AM
well I was talking about a non specific god. I already know that all the world religions got it wrong. I was just thinking about it and wondered if there was some kind of reason to believe in a god since so many people do believe in one. But I want an example of a good reason not a shitty one as many Christians/ any one have so far.

I would ask a god if there was one and it finally revealed itself why it took so long to show up and what was it doing all this time any way? Well I have many more questions than that but those are the ones I'd start with. 

The explanation for god that I like the best is we are all god. The physical universe is god and as conscious beings we are the part god that can reflect on itself. When it comes to a belief in god this is about the best I can do.

https://youtu.be/mMRrCYPxD0I

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: doorknob on August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
The only thing I can think of is if god would reveal himself to us. Other than that I can't think of any.
That wouldn't make me believe. If God came to me personally, it could be a hallucination. If God appeared in the sky and everyone had the same experience, it could be a false flag by the government. Even if something came up to throw the theory of evolution in doubt, a designer wouldn't necessarily mean a "God". We're probably living in a computer simulation anyways, and I don't consider the programmer to be "God".

The best reason I can imagine for believing in "God" would be the fear of death, or brain damage.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 15, 2016, 07:31:13 PM
A fiction, but still a monster--agree.

We are all fiction.  See Matrix.  But you at least are not a monster ... Monsters Inc would be cool however.  I have a coworker who could play the tall furry blue guy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2016, 06:41:35 PM
We are all fiction.  See Matrix.  But you at least are not a monster ... Monsters Inc would be cool however.  I have a coworker who could play the tall furry blue guy.
Maybe we are all fiction.  Then god would be a fiction of a fiction.

Baruch

Materialists don't follow Alan Watts .. enlightened beings do ;-)

If we are a program, the programmer might not seem to be god to you, until your subroutine gets deleted.  Aren't you afraid of the MS registry apocalypse?  I had a work computer that actually happened to.  Made a believer out of me ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 16, 2016, 06:45:09 PM
Maybe we are all fiction.  Then god would be a fiction of a fiction.

Didn't know you were a Zen Buddhist ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on August 16, 2016, 01:50:41 PM
That wouldn't make me believe. If God came to me personally, it could be a hallucination. If God appeared in the sky and everyone had the same experience, it could be a false flag by the government. Even if something came up to throw the theory of evolution in doubt, a designer wouldn't necessarily mean a "God". We're probably living in a computer simulation anyways, and I don't consider the programmer to be "God".

The best reason I can imagine for believing in "God" would be the fear of death, or brain damage.
That's it--whether or not it is a good reason, the fear of death is why people created god.