what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

The only thing I can think of is if god would reveal himself to us. Other than that I can't think of any.

SGOS

I think the best reason is to just accept that God cannot be proven, and name faith as the reason for believing.  While it's not logical, I would never deny that a person has such faith.  For me, it's only when believer tries to prove god exists, that logical arguments come into play.  If a person believes it because he believes it, it adds no credibility to the existence of god.  It's not even an argument, but I accept that the person is sincere, although not very good at reasoning.

Shiranu

Because you want to or it makes you feel good is generally a good enough reason for me, so long as you don't force it on anyone else.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

First we have to define what a god is. Cue in Hijiri and his post about Q from Startrek

Baruch

When a deity represents the community unity, particularly in a warfare situation ... it can help galvanize the troops.  Ares, Mars, Allah, Yahweh and the Constantinian version of Jesus ... Christos Pantokrator ... are war gods.  Though not all community projects are violent.

Nationalism and patriotism in its modern form, has reduced the need for this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 13, 2016, 03:53:23 PM
First we have to define what a god is. Cue in Hijiri and his post about Q from Startrek

Star Trek and Star Wars are mythology for modern folks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2016, 08:28:29 PM
Star Trek and Star Wars are mythology for modern folks.
Star Trek? Yes. Many lessons about the world around us and it can be seen as a mythology of sorts. Star Wars though? Nah. not so much.

Doctor Who would also be something that can be seen as a religion of sorts

Blackleaf

"Hey, God. You real?"

"Yup."

"Oh, wow. You actually answered."

"Well, yeah. I wouldn't expect people to believe in me without any evidence at all that I even exist. That'd be a dick thing to do."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 13, 2016, 11:09:12 PM
"Hey, God. You real?"

"Yup."

"Oh, wow. You actually answered."

"Well, yeah. I wouldn't expect people to believe in me without any evidence at all that I even exist. That'd be a dick thing to do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-8-n2_rW6o

Oh ho hooo. I am a trickster god. I am killing me.

stromboli

First of all which god are we talking about? Now with Odin you get shield maidens, with Allah you get 72 virgins. With the Mormon god you get your own planet and beaucoup wives; with Yahweh you get what, eternal supper with Jesus? How many times you want Blueberry pie with ice cream? What, no women? Blame that on them damn Catholics. A good reason would be a god that actually did something, like maybe water your lawn while you sleep or arrange for money in your wallet when you need it.

Afraid I'm too far gone in my atheism to think a god can actually provide anything useful.

Btw, do you notice a theme there? Seems religion is big on providing women in the afterlife. So apparently the creators of the religion(s) were all horny men.

Blackleaf

Quote from: stromboli on August 14, 2016, 10:34:01 AM
First of all which god are we talking about? Now with Odin you get shield maidens, with Allah you get 72 virgins. With the Mormon god you get your own planet and beaucoup wives; with Yahweh you get what, eternal supper with Jesus? How many times you want Blueberry pie with ice cream? What, no women? Blame that on them damn Catholics. A good reason would be a god that actually did something, like maybe water your lawn while you sleep or arrange for money in your wallet when you need it.

Afraid I'm too far gone in my atheism to think a god can actually provide anything useful.

Btw, do you notice a theme there? Seems religion is big on providing women in the afterlife. So apparently the creators of the religion(s) were all horny men.

With the exception of Christianity, which treats chastity as something holy, even for men. When you go to Heaven, you don't even get to keep the wife you had in life.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on August 14, 2016, 10:34:01 AM

Oops, misspelled word there Strom--you meant 'holy' men--right????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Well, OP, I cannot think of one single good reason to believe in god.  And a 'belief' it would have to be since there is not a shred of evidence otherwise.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: doorknob on August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
The only thing I can think of is if god would reveal himself to us. Other than that I can't think of any.
There would be a need for such a being to prove that it is, indeed, a god as we understand the term.

My first question for such a being would be "why do you suddenly feel the need to reveal yourself."

My second question would be "why does a god need a spaceship?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli link=topic=10576.msg11/  44023#msg1144023 date=1471185241

Could you handle even one shield maiden/Valkyrie?  Really!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.