Author Topic: what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.  (Read 12206 times)

Offline Cavebear

Re: what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.
« Reply #630 on: April 21, 2017, 05:23:58 AM »
Real is real whether proven or not.

You're still using the modern (bastardized) version of faith which is no different from man made belief. Unfortunately believers have made this their ignorance blanket.

Gotta go old school for usage., Ephesians 2:8 states we are saved by grace through faith, it is not of our own doing, it is a gift of God. Of, not from. A gift of gold is very different from a gift from gold.

The proof is a personal revelatory experience of God. That is the authoring of faith.
I see a three step evolution of mind, first there is believing, then comes knowing, then comes doing.

Revelation is not proof, faith is not evidence, and personal belief matters only to you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

« Reply #631 on: April 22, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »
The best reason to believe in a God is the probable existence of a God.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #632 on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »
On the other hand, the best reason not to believe in a god is because of his probable non existence.  Or are you doing the Pascal's Wager satire?

« Reply #633 on: April 22, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »
Pascal's mentality is similar to a merchant.
He makes a a bargain with a proobable God :)
How a sly person he is...as if he will deceive the God.
By the way, i do not know if he really believes in God or not.

But i will guarantee myself by remaining as an agnostic ahahaha
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:20:04 AM by SoldierofFortune »

Offline Baruch

« Reply #634 on: April 22, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »

Depends on what probability and existence mean to you ... very deep metaphysical concepts (with probability ... the difference between the frequency definition and the Baysian definition ... with existence ... see a hundred philosophers).

I have no problem with godlings/demigods ... and admittedly, pantheism could imply an impersonal "ground of being" rather than a personal theism.  But given my view of incarnation .. I am betting on personal theism, I would be very surprised if it works out differently.

If by probably existence, you mean empirical evidence for the monstrosity of Greco-Christian theology ... then I don't see that being probable at all.  Dancing angels on a pin are more likely.
שלום

Offline Baruch

« Reply #635 on: April 22, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »

As a Jansenist, Pascal was like a French Quaker.  Quietists (general term) aren't orthodox Catholic nor Anglican.  Pascal was brilliant, but I don't think that theology was his main subject ... I don't think he could conceive of alternatives to minimalist-Catholicism ... like Descartes could (who created modern secular philosophy).  Modern pantheism was created by Spinoza ... who is one of the first modern men too.  I differ from Spinoza, in that I don't accept rationalism.  Spinoza was even more rational than Descartes.

Viking Christians hedged their bets ... their cross doubled as Thor's hammer.  Same with Pueblo Indians under Spanish domination ... the cross is also an image of their grasshopper god.  Egyptian Christians hedged their bets with the Isis cross.  I would suggest that atheists use the atom with swirling electrons symbol as a crypto-emblem  ... particularly effective if there are three electron elliptical orbits .. that can be explained away as the Holy Trinity, rather than Lithium.
שלום

Offline SGOS

« Reply #636 on: April 22, 2017, 12:30:48 PM »

I recall a video I watched where addressing the Wager, when the speaker asked, "How would you like it, if after having provided so much in mathematics, other important insights, and contributions to practical mechanics, to be remembered only for the one hairbrained thing you thoughtlessly scribbled on a dinner napkin, probably after drinking too much wine."

Offline Baruch

« Reply #637 on: April 22, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »
I recall a video I watched where addressing the Wager, when the speaker asked, "How would you like it, if after having provided so much in mathematics, other important insights, and contributions to practical mechanics, to be remembered only for the one hairbrained thing you thoughtlessly scribbled on a dinner napkin, probably after drinking too much wine."

Inventor of the mechanical calculator ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_calculator
שלום